Me dads passat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me dads passat

Hi all,I know this is slightly off topic, but theres a lot of mechanicy type people on this forum, so just wondering if some of you could help.

The cars a 51 plate and has never been any trouble till about three weeks ago,when he started to notice clouds of BLACK smoke when pottering around slow country roads.Did`nt think to much about at the time.

He has said that he has olso noticed slight spots of oil under the bonnet down one side of the engine,(did`nt say which side),but never enough to create any drips on the garage floor.
    When he has started the car, he has noticed a different smell,not a burning smell,but as he described it "you just notice a different smell like you do when you over fill the wiper wash bottle"??

But finally yesterday when comeing back from Blackpool, all power went.The car will not got faster than 75mph and generally feels very lumpy,but there is no black smoke what so ever.When stationary the car has no problem reving at all.
    Took it to a local garage, but they have no idear, what they did say though is that the Turbo`s working fine.(Don`t know what they did to come to that conclusion)

So, any advise would be greatly appreciated,
    thanks
    jack
    Stella Artois

Assuming it's a diesel, has the fuel filter been change at all?
    Also is the air filter dirty?
    Try some injector cleaner in the tank.
    Maybe a blockage in the oil filler cap or breather pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Assuming it's a diesel, has the fuel filter been change at all?
      Also is the air filter dirty?
      Try some injector cleaner in the tank.
      Maybe a blockage in the oil filler cap or breather pipe.
      opps, Ment to say its 130TDi and has had a full regular service by vw since new.Its done 38000 miles
      Stella Artois

Comment

Originally posted by jackster
        opps, Ment to say its 130TDi and has had a full regular service by vw since new.Its done 38000 miles
        well it sounds like turbo to me im sorry to say the smoke and the oil on the engine could be due to a oil seal in the turbo leaking
        I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

It could be an electrical problem, like the ECU has gone into 'limp home' mode for some reason.
          Maybe a sensor has fallen out or become disconnected somewhere.
          How many miles has the car done?

Comment

Originally posted by jackster
            Could be the breather as earlier mentioned they have a knock in unit on the side of the block that can get clogged up. You can bet your bottom dollar that its in a very awkward spot to weild a hammer!!

It may be worth a phone call to your local dealer for advice, If you have no joy with them PM me back as I have some contacts within Volkswagen who's brains I can pick on your behalf.

Paul
            DUNNO'S BACK ..........He never really went away!

Comment

Just been on the phone to a mate who has some audi/vw diagnostic software,so gonna plug the lap top in and see what it comes up with.
              Stella Artois

Comment

Well according to the diagnostic the car has Fault No 17964-Charge Pressure Control Negative Deviation.

I`ve got a small list of things to try relating to boost pressure control valves and variable nozzle turbo mechanisms etc,the only trouble is things have changed under bonnets since i used to mess, and its hard to find anything.Does anybody know where i can find any engine photos to locate these parts.

heres hopeing again
                Stella Artois

Comment

Have a read of this, It may highlight something obvious that was overlooked before.
                  http://www.ilexa.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,305.0.html

Comment

sounds like a vacume pipe is not connected or may be broken had the same thing my self....but on a vectra 2l tdi.....
                    CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Working...
                    X