Selectable 2wd/4wd..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selectable 2wd/4wd..

As appears to be the case, if a surf is routinely driven in 4wd on dry roads, this will knacker the transmission.

This is causing me a bit of concern when it comes to buying one...other than looking at the selector when I view a vehicle, are there any tell-tale signs of a vehicle that has been in when it shouldn't have been?

Any thoughts on the subject would be valued!!

thanks

-keith
    The right to bear arms...only slightly more ridicu

when you get wind up, it will stress the drivetrain until something breaks... most probably a CV joint or propshaft UJ... so just give it a check over and listen out for any transmission noises.
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by Chiko
      As appears to be the case, if a surf is routinely driven in 4wd on dry roads, this will knacker the transmission.

This is causing me a bit of concern when it comes to buying one...other than looking at the selector when I view a vehicle, are there any tell-tale signs of a vehicle that has been in when it shouldn't have been?

thanks

-keith
      When its in 4wd theres a light on the dash saying its in 4wd. Driving in a straight is OK its turning corners that will wind up the transmission, all four wheels on cornering will try and turn the same speed. 4wd only to be selected on stuff that will allow the wheels to slip,snow, ice, mud, sand etc.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

cheers for the swift replies! Are the CV's or UJ's costly parts to replace should the worst happen? It's not something I've had to do on my car because the weak spot is the Input shaft bearing!

bit of a n00b question I know but I'd like to try and have all bases covered because I making the assumption that a lot of people will have tried to run it in 4wd mode simply because it's a 4x4..

Comment

have a look on milners and roughtrax... they're your best bet for up to date prices.

pretty rare that you'd break anything, unless you were going fast at the time!...
          slow manoeuvres you can feel the resistance, but won't do damage unless you carry on like it

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
            have a look on milners and roughtrax... they're your best bet for up to date prices.

pretty rare that you'd break anything, unless you were going fast at the time!...
            slow manoeuvres you can feel the resistance, but won't do damage unless you carry on like it
            Ah ok so unless it's actually making any dubious shaft-based noises then it's probably fair to say it's happy...like a gazelle.

thankyou!
            Last edited by Chiko; 9 September 2005, 21:10.

Comment

thanks

-keith
              3rd gens are ok to run in 4wd on the roads as they have a centre diff
              I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Originally posted by kiowa
                3rd gens are ok to run in 4wd on the roads as they have a centre diff
                only if you have the diff open

Comment

thanks

-keith

I wouldn't worry about it as you wont need it in 4wd on dry roads anyway. Sometimes I engage 4wd on the move on a dry road, but only do it at around 40mph on a straight road. That way, especially after you have greased the prop, it just gives everything a work out and keeps it in good nick.

Comment

I think that the Toyota Hand book for the 2nd Gen specifies that 4WD mode shouldn't be used over 40MPH.

To be honest, if you're thinking of getting a second gen, I think that you're much more likely to have problems relating to the 4WD not having been used.

I can't give you the technical names for all of the components, but if a Surf's used for a long time without the 4WD being used, the mechanism seizes a little and becomes less quick to engage and especially dis-engage (often requires having to put it into reverse to get it to dis-engage). Generally, this isn't a big problem, and after you've used the 4WD a good few times it begins to operate normally. I bought 3 second gens and 2 of the 3 had these symptoms when I first imported them from Japan. Both of them eased up real quick.

Personally, I don't use 4WD on normal roads unless it's been snowing or it's icy etc. Can't see any reason why you would want to. No doubt I'll be enlighted!

Hope that helps.

Rob
                    Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

Originally posted by TheWolfCub
                      I think that the Toyota Hand book for the 2nd Gen specifies that 4WD mode shouldn't be used over 40MPH.

To be honest, if you're thinking of getting a second gen, I think that you're much more likely to have problems relating to the 4WD not having been used.

I can't give you the technical names for all of the components, but if a Surf's used for a long time without the 4WD being used, the mechanism seizes a little and becomes less quick to engage and especially dis-engage (often requires having to put it into reverse to get it to dis-engage). Generally, this isn't a big problem, and after you've used the 4WD a good few times it begins to operate normally. I bought 3 second gens and 2 of the 3 had these symptoms when I first imported them from Japan. Both of them eased up real quick.

Personally, I don't use 4WD on normal roads unless it's been snowing or it's icy etc. Can't see any reason why you would want to. No doubt I'll be enlighted!

Hope that helps.

Rob

We are both wrong mate. Just read your post and went out an had a look in my handbook. It recommends that you don't drive over (50KMH) 30MPH in 4WD. I must have been thinking of the bit in the manual where it says that 4WD wont engage over (100KMH) 60MPH. Must have read it and thought any speed under that would be ok. Good job I read your post. I will now get a sticker made up and stick it by the gear shift.

Comment

You will also notice heavy steering when driving on Tarmac in 4WD if the Bulb decides to blow
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
                          We are both wrong mate. Just read your post and went out an had a look in my handbook. It recommends that you don't drive over (50KMH) 30MPH in 4WD. I must have been thinking of the bit in the manual where it says that 4WD wont engage over (100KMH) 60MPH. Must have read it and thought any speed under that would be ok. Good job I read your post. I will now get a sticker made up and stick it by the gear shift.
                          More wrong-ness

(From the Gen Toy owners manual)
                          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                          X