Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slight steering wobble

Any advise would be much appreciated.
    I've got 3rd gen which has slight steering wobble if you hit a bump or uneven surface.The tyres are near the end of their time and i was wondering if this could be the problem as nothing else seems to be loose or worn
    Cheers

Originally posted by Valleys boy
    I've got 3rd gen which has slight steering wobble if you hit a bump or uneven surface.The tyres are near the end of their time and i was wondering if this could be the problem as nothing else seems to be loose or worn
    Cheers
    ?? If I hit a bump or an uneven surface then my steering wheel would wobble as well!! try steering around the things you hit ... ... ... lol..Mark
    Last edited by madcampbell; 8 September 2005, 23:23. Reason: **** spelling lol

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell
      ?? If I hit a bump or an uneven surface then my steering wheel would wobble as well!! try steering around the things you hit ... ... ... lol..Mark
      Bwahahaha!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I've got 3rd gen which has slight steering wobble if you hit a bump or uneven surface
        Ahh this age old problem...I'm afraid it's actually fairly terminal and pretty much incurable. It's a long standing issue with Surfs and one that Toyota neglected to recall the vehicle for. A few other car manufacturers have had similar issues with going over bumps and the steering wheel moving slightly. From what I've been able to find out from industry insiders, its something to do with the fact the steering wheel is connected to the front wheels.

Sounds like a design fault if you ask me
        The right to bear arms...only slightly more ridicu

Comment

After they've all had their fun taking the p..s out of you for your question they could at least have offered some advice (shame on you lot!!).

If there's no sign of any instability on normal driving then it could be slight wear in the steering swivel joints, out of balance wheels, worn wishbone bushes, worn wheel bearings etc.

Try jacking up the front wheels in turn and rock each one top to bottom and side to side to see if there is any significant play in the components or the wheel bearings. That should show if anything is wearing and if so whether it's one or both sides. Once you know then you'll have a better chance of deciding what if anything needs replacing.

If there's no significant movement then it could be the nut behind the wheel ... (Ok, so I can take the p..s as well but at least I'm trying to help).
          Mike G

Comment

Cheers

Are the rear tyres in better condition? if so try putting them on the front and see if that makes any difference.
            I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Cheers
              thanks for the replies i've got a sense of humour too, i'll check the points mentioned

Comment

It could be worn steering rack bushes.

Comment

I’d have thought that if it were actually something worn in the steering rack / associated area then this would actually *reduce* steering feedback-

You’d get play in the steering wheel (either it would turn more than usual before the wheels respond, or there would be lateral play)

When hitting a bump, there would be *less* of a response through the steering wheel.

Could it perhaps be that there is worn in the suspension; a damper, bushings etc…this would reduce the effectiveness of the suspension and so any bumps would have a higher percentage transferred to the chassis and steering.

Is there any noticeable increase in shock through the chassis to coincide with the steering?

Food for thought anyway!

Hth

-keith

Comment

just had another thought.

sounds silly, but the tyres aren't over-inflated, are they?

Comment

Working...
                    X