X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on 4Runner

guys,, need help here,,

Got the chance to buy a 4 Runner, M Plated, not bad condition,,,

137k MILES on the clock, but the rear tailgate has rust at the top of it, and some at the bottom, also this tailgate does not lock into place on the nearside, but with the window up it's very secure,,, but if i wanted to replace the tail,, how much would i be looking at ?

Also the nearside rear door has a small bit or rust on the bottom with a bubble near the window,, again, can i get these anywhere if i want to replace it ??

Any idea of cost ? The wife is in love with this truck, and i must admit i really like it to,,, it's my mechanics car who has had it for 4 years so i know it wants for nowt,, it's a 3ltr TD on an M plate, £3500 is the asking price........... any suggestons would be welcomed

cheers
    Disky

Originally posted by Disky
    guys,, need help here,,

Got the chance to buy a 4 Runner, M Plated, not bad condition,,,

137k MILES on the clock, but the rear tailgate has rust at the top of it, and some at the bottom, also this tailgate does not lock into place on the nearside, but with the window up it's very secure,,, but if i wanted to replace the tail,, how much would i be looking at ?

Also the nearside rear door has a small bit or rust on the bottom with a bubble near the window,, again, can i get these anywhere if i want to replace it ??

Any idea of cost ? The wife is in love with this truck, and i must admit i really like it to,,, it's my mechanics car who has had it for 4 years so i know it wants for nowt,, it's a 3ltr TD on an M plate, £3500 is the asking price........... any suggestons would be welcomed

cheers
    Disky

To be honest my friend that sounds like something to aviod as you could pick up a 3Ltr Surf for the same money with half the mileage! Well almost.
    Don't be frightened of the imports as they are all Japanese cars anyway, and with the imports you tend not to get the dreaded rust.
    Good luck.

Comment

If the rust is already that bad then it's probably got in other places as well. Mine's a 93 Surf and there's no rust anywhere on it at all, but then the Jap's apparently don't use salt on their roads in winter.

You will probably find that a tailgate from a similar aged Surf breaker would fit straight in, as would the doors. For that price it's not a bad buy but I'd give it a very good going over to make sure there's no other rust damage anywhere important before parting with your money, however good it may be mechanically.
      Mike G

Comment

The 4Runner that you're looking at probably has "geniune UK car- not a Grey Import" advertised as one of it's 'plus' points! So it has the inevitable rust, enough miles to go the moon & back. And probably stinks of dogs and/or fags too.

A nice import might be a better bet.

Comment

As a comparison I got an N-reg 4runner, 3.0 TD manual - actually a 95 model, about 16 months back
          for £3000, and it had about 137-138k on the clock. has a few rusty bits
          and i have spent a fair bit on new parts, fitted myself.

so i think the truck youre looking at should be less than £3000
          Landcruiser Colorado
          Sub. Forester

Comment

Yeah, I would agree seems a bit expensive,
            On the rust, its a uk car it will have some rust, check under the car make sure there is no major spots there, the fiberglass wheel arch extensions hide a multitude of sins, get into your arches and poke a skrewdriver around.
            There are a few guys selling 4runner/surf spares on ebay, I would give them a call and see how much they would charge you for any parts that you want to replace.

Comment

Guys,,

First,, many thanx to all the folks thats replied..

It is a uk 4runner, and the rust "aint that bad", but it's bad enought that you can see the paint bubble, and i know it's there

Looks like i'll have to hunt for a surf,, not to sure about the 2.4's but would prefer a 3ltr,, at least i know if i come home with one i'll be in her good books well for a few days anyway

Comment

Working...
              X