No announcement yet.

Power up (2nd Gen 2.4), can it be done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power up (2nd Gen 2.4), can it be done?

Is there any sensible way of getting a few extra BHP from a 2nd gen 2.4?
    I am the friend of Hypno-Toad

stainless free flow exhaust is probably the best option

Comment

Originally posted by truckarms
      stainless free flow exhaust is probably the best option
      Guess I'll try that when this one dies

Comment

An engine is an engine, the same stunts and tricks used on a million Novas and Golfs will work on a Surf, High Lift Cams, Gasflowed Heads, grinding the valves, porting, superchipping, free flow exhaust etc, a good simple one is to replace the air intake with a K & N Cone filter, and think about positioning it, as near to cool frsh air with as few bends in the pipe as poss.
        A slightly more radical way is to get a fine mist of water into the air intake, as it cools and condenses the air dramaticaly, nb only for short bursts though, most of the engine components are not designed to cope with the increased water content.

But beware, increasing the power will dramaticaly decrease the life expectancy of the unit as a whole.
        eg my 3.0 td developes something like 130bhp but 300ft lb torque, if I were to superchip it up to 200bhp and 450ft lb of torque, it would go very fast for a while, but the drivetrain simply is not designed to cope with the torque it would produce.
        It is worth remembering that it is not bhp that kills the drivetrain but the torque.

Also worth remembering is that the simplest way to have a fast car is to buy a fast car, a simple way to loose a huge quantity of money is to make one out of a slow car.

All the best,
        Gtdog
        Ok nicely done, when we dry off we can go find the boat!

Comment

Originally posted by Gtdog
          Also worth remembering is that the simplest way to have a fast car is to buy a fast car, a simple way to loose a huge quantity of money is to make one out of a slow car.

All the best,
          Gtdog
          Great quote!
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Noce to see you with us Tony, Just killing a few minutes before jumping on a plane for a delivery job. See you wed.

xxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Is that a plane inbound from Columbia?

Comment

Sadly not, from Sotton to Jersey, dep 1840hrs.
                Leave Jersey either on arrival to make dover for 0600, thames for 1400, Teddington god only knows, or dep Jersey 0900, Dover 1600, Thames 0300, and again teddington at the end of a finite rainbow.

Columbia even with internal examination would be a nice break!

Comment

Originally posted by Gtdog
                  An engine is an engine, the same stunts and tricks used on a million Novas and Golfs will work on a Surf, High Lift Cams, Gasflowed Heads, grinding the valves, porting, superchipping, free flow exhaust etc, a good simple one is to replace the air intake with a K & N Cone filter, and think about positioning it, as near to cool frsh air with as few bends in the pipe as poss.
                  A slightly more radical way is to get a fine mist of water into the air intake, as it cools and condenses the air dramaticaly, nb only for short bursts though, most of the engine components are not designed to cope with the increased water content.

But beware, increasing the power will dramaticaly decrease the life expectancy of the unit as a whole.
                  eg my 3.0 td developes something like 130bhp but 300ft lb torque, if I were to superchip it up to 200bhp and 450ft lb of torque, it would go very fast for a while, but the drivetrain simply is not designed to cope with the torque it would produce.
                  It is worth remembering that it is not bhp that kills the drivetrain but the torque.

All the best,
                  Gtdog
                  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-Corsa...QQcmdZViewItem
                  Classic example here.

Comment

You have to admire the way its been kept as a q car though!

Nice and subtle, I should imagine it will supprise a lot of people at the lights.

Still looking for a Mk II Scirocco with a VR6 lump in.
                    Wanted one for ten years and never found one.

Comment

apparently a 2.2, 5 pot audi motor will go in a scirrocco too... let me know if you find one..
                      Last edited by Chillitt; 6 September 2005, 18:14. Reason: lessening chances of confusion
                      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                        apparently a 2.2, 5 pot audi motor will go in too... let me know if you find one..
                        The main reason was not so much to make it faster as stronger, I am just finding the 2.4 a bit weak under load. I do realise that the candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long, I was just looking for a bit more pulling umph rather than top end.
                        If I wanted top end I'd have bought a regular car
                        Just feel that the 2.4 could have better pulling power. Maybe it's just my perception and my expectations are too high.

Comment

ah sorry, the audi motor is for a scirrocco not for a surf.
                          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                            Great quote!
                            Yeah true. Also ive had race bikes on the road (Supermoto), fast cars etc. And to be honest i wouldnt feel safe if the Surf was way faster as its a 4x4 after all. Someone i spoke too had a 2.4 and drove a 3.0 and wanted a 3.0 straight away as the power was amazing! So there you are, buy a 3.0, also the 2.4 has a different chassis no? Not made as tough to cope with less power......i think...
                            3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

i nearly got hit by a supamoto bike yesterday!... he was sideways doing about 60 on a housing estate... i was passing a car and he did a HUGE wobble when he saw me and was VERY lucky to stay on!... think he went home to change pants!

my mate as a fast VW corrado (better looking than a scirrocco) in his garage... dunno what it is, but it was a special edition (like alpina do on BMWs) and goes like stink.

also, my mate (italian playboy millionaire) corrado... we call him scirrocco, golf, etc. etc.
                              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                              X