Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HGV / LGV Driving

Hi.

Just a question for all you drivers out there.
    I've been out of the driving game for 5 years now and I'm thinking about getting back behind the wheel again.
    I used to drive 17 tonners and artics for a bakery then 17 tonne rigids for Pilkington glass.
    What's the best type of work out there at the moment ? I'm not interested in nights away and stuff like that but every job I see in the local paper seems to be rubbish money, around £6.50 - £7.00 an hour. Personally I wouldn't get out of bed for that !
    I need to be looking at about 20K an year.

Any sugestions would be much appreciated.

Andy.

Originally posted by bobafatass
    Hi.

I've been out of the driving game for 5 years now and I'm thinking about getting back behind the wheel again.
    I used to drive 17 tonners and artics for a bakery then 17 tonne rigids for Pilkington glass.
    What's the best type of work out there at the moment ? I'm not interested in nights away and stuff like that but every job I see in the local paper seems to be rubbish money, around £6.50 - £7.00 an hour. Personally I wouldn't get out of bed for that !

Andy.
    go to an agency... they all pay £9ph for class 1 + OT and extras for weekends etc.

there's plenty of work and it's flexible so you can work whenever you want to.

they all pay holiday now so that's not a problem.

you can earn way over £20k...
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

i'm with Pertemps at the mo... was reccommended the best connection, but the bloke was an arse, so i only did 5 days for them.

you can act like a complete dip**** and get away with murder at the jobs too!!

Comment

You could try driving for Tesco's/Asda..etc Agency drivers with these are on £9-11 an hour. If you manage to get full-time with either Tesco's or Asda their drivers are on about 24k a-year plus o/t

Comment

Originally posted by bobafatass
          Hi.

Andy.

Our place is looking for drivers now. It's near to Newbury. If you stay on the rota and do 5 days and only do the rota overtime you will be on about £28k. If you work overtime days and do ev's then you will be on about £33-35k.

3663 in Banbury are paying £33k, and thats driving rigids. Tesco in Didcot are after drivers,£27k. I'm trying to get into Air Products, £31,000 4on-4off.

Your better off staying out of driving. The way the EU is stamping it's Jack Boot over everything, we'll only be allowed to work 20hrs a week before long.

Comment

hgv

I have been looking for a career change recently - getting sick of working shifts and then compulsory overtime 2/3 w/ends.
            In my school days I often fancied trucking - but ended up with a mechanical HNC!
            Anyway - how would get into driving?
            I've heard that i would have to pay for all my lessons/tests @ over £3k.
            I enjoy driving - but only have a car , forktruck and "iron fairy" licence ( and I am a expert at driving my wife mad!!"
            any advice??
            Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

I am taking my Theory test on Wednesday morning ! and my Lessons at the back end of the month. Dreading it ! I already have my PCV licence and had to sit one for that but it never bothered me because i didnt pay for it !

I am funding this one myself and it is working out in total just under £1500.00 for my class 1 & 2. This fee included my medical, books & CD's.

There is a company called Clearstone i tried but they wanted nearly £2000.00

http://www.clear-stone.co.uk/page.php?sect=dri&pg=14

I am currently in covert security business and have had enough. Truckin is something i have always wanted to do since leaving school 15 years ago so i am now giving it a try. Hopefully , I won't be disappointed, But i am just looking forward to working on my own instead of all the **** you get in survellance. If i'm happy driving, I'll be happy to take a pay cut !
              Last edited by Deviant 1; 6 September 2005, 01:11.
              !!! I'M THE ONE YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT !!!

Comment

might have the wrong idea of being on your own "on the open road"... you're always an hour behind where you should be and back at base before you've left... the boss is on your back... it gets a bit stressful...
                unless you go for the supermarket work, but they're ****py hours and you have to sit in layby's and on bay doors doing nothing for most of the time.

you'll rarely get a 9-5 job on HGV unless it's a small company doing local deliveries.

Comment

Ohhhh no no no, I'm not saying it ain't stressfull, I'm sure it is. What job isn't ? But it beats having to wear a stab vest day in and out and wondering if todays the day when !!!!
                  !!! I'M THE ONE YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT !!!

Comment

If you don't mind getting dirty, you could try and get a start with a tipper firm! Most tipper work is local just make sure you wash your hands before you get home or else you'll have walls like mine! Covered in ****** handprints.
                    Good luck with it.

Comment

Hmmm - some of this sounds interesting ........ I let my C+E lapse a few years ago. Does anybody know the score on resurrecting it - would I have to retake my test ?

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob

Hmmm - some of this sounds interesting ........ I let my C+E lapse a few years ago. Does anybody know the score on resurrecting it - would I have to retake my test ?

what way did it lapse?... no medical??

Comment

HGV the truth

I been in the haulage game for more years than Matts been out of school and It aint wot it used to be...like most things these days (eyes misting over flashback to the good old days.............) sorry where was I? oh yeah so you want to go driving do you? well as long as you aint got a wife,kids or anyother family give it a go but you wont see the folks all week,you'll get abused by car drivers,ignored by the people you deliver to (well those called patel) and generaly treated like a 4th class piece of dog do,and then of course theres the old bill,the minstry,and any other government department that likes to stick its nose in....Driving like prostetution is the only occupation where you can get done for working......But if you want to give it a go and then realise why there are so many vacances for driving jobs.
                          Ok rant over,its just that Iv'e had a sh**y week.
                          If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                            what way did it lapse?... no medical??

Yeah, I didn't see the need to fork out the dosh when I was happy working in IT (OK I was happy with the MONEY working in IT !)

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by sumo
                              I been in the haulage game for more years than Matts been out of school and It aint wot it used to be...like most things these days (eyes misting over flashback to the good old days.............) sorry where was I? oh yeah so you want to go driving do you? well as long as you aint got a wife,kids or anyother family give it a go but you wont see the folks all week,you'll get abused by car drivers,ignored by the people you deliver to (well those called patel) and generaly treated like a 4th class piece of dog do,and then of course theres the old bill,the minstry,and any other government department that likes to stick its nose in....Driving like prostetution is the only occupation where you can get done for working......But if you want to give it a go and then realise why there are so many vacances for driving jobs.
                              Ok rant over,its just that Iv'e had a sh**y week.
                              yeah, but what other job can you park up for the night... get a free meal, a few pints and watch the strippers!... sorry for any drivers wives i'm giving away the secrets!!

mind you... i've heard some stories even i can't believe!... biggamy, dogging, getting caught doing naughty things on cctv.... etc. etc!!

oh, and the medical thing.... i think you just get a medical and get the license back.

Comment

Working...
                              X