• hmm little car vrs. big car

http://www.car-accidents.com/pages/a...20_1-8-01.html

Thats torn it,

Comment

could have Dodged that
      Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Ouch!

You don't swerve for a pheasant - you just hit it, then go and pick it up to make pate!

Hit a pheasant in my Golf a few years ago - can't recommend it. About £120 for new headlight grille, one new headlight and a set of mounting clips. By comparison, a 12-bore cartridge is around 12p, and makes far less of a mess of the bird - far more economical After hitting one in the car, pate really was all it was good for.

On the other hand, I read (in Autocar, I think) about Saabs being tested for impact with elks! To save wear and tear on real live elks, to improve the repeatability of the test and to forestall a blizzard of protests from the bunnyhuggers, Saab built a replica elk using a sheaf of power cables wrapped in rugs, and stood it on wooden legs at the right height, so that when the car hit it, the "body" landed on the bonnet and hit the windscreen, just like a real elk. Given that an adult elk weighs a good half tonne, the usual result used to be that the body of the elk would remove the top of the car, including the top of the driver
        This apparently, is why Swedish cars have reinforced A-pillars. They also have to undergo a "swerve test" (also called the Igtest or Elktest) which simulates swerving round a large object that has suddenly appeared in front of the car, and then resuming the original path.

Here endeth the digression
        Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Thought the punchline was gonna be

"I now drive a late model Dodge 1 ton pickup."
          mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

i've got a habit of hitting pigeons lately!... 3 in about 6 weeks!...
            once found a bird stuck in the radiator of an ERF... thought the heater smelt funny!
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
              once found a bird stuck in the radiator of an ERF... thought the heater smelt funny!
              What did she say when you pulled her out.

Comment

When british rail tested its high-speed trains it used a piece of kit borrowed from NASA that they used to test the windsreens on the shuttle.Its a cannon that fires dead chickens at windows. British rail proptly fired a dead chicken at the windsceen of this train it smashed thro the glass,thro the seat and embedded itself in the back of the drivers cabin,worried about the results they sent the telemetry back to NASA. The reply that came back was.....defrost chicken first.

[SIZE=5]A bad days fishing is better than a good days work[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by FISH EAGLE
                  When british rail tested its high-speed trains it used a piece of kit borrowed from NASA that they used to test the windsreens on the shuttle.Its a cannon that fires dead chickens at windows. British rail proptly fired a dead chicken at the windsceen of this train it smashed thro the glass,thro the seat and embedded itself in the back of the drivers cabin,worried about the results they sent the telemetry back to NASA. The reply that came back was.....defrost chicken first.

I have heard this elsewhere - apparently thawing the chicken makes no appreciable difference, 'cos the mass and velocity of the chicken are unchanged, hence the kinetic energy transferred to the glass are the same.

Various websites list this urban legend, and debunk it - here is one example.

Regards
                  Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

I guess the moral of the story is to drive a kenworth, the pick up that j Leno tested in the Sunday Times Driving section or to buy an armoured personell carrier!

or to live boarded up in your house, surrounded by tank traps etc
                    Ok nicely done, when we dry off we can go find the boat!

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainBeaky
                      I have heard this elsewhere - apparently thawing the chicken makes no appreciable difference, 'cos the mass and velocity of the chicken are unchanged, hence the kinetic energy transferred to the glass are the same.

Various websites list this urban legend, and debunk it - here is one example.

Regards

yeah, 'mythbusters' did it a while ago, as said no difference
                      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                      My choice
                      Back off

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                        What did she say when you pulled out.
                        "is that it"

she kept saying that.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainBeaky
                          They also have to undergo a "swerve test" (also called the Igtest or Elktest) which simulates swerving round a large object that has suddenly appeared in front of the car, and then resuming the original path.
                          That was the test that caused the recall of the Merc A class when it was first introduced - it fell over
                          Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn
                            That was the test that caused the recall of the Merc A class when it was first introduced - it fell over
                            and the one that caused all the hassle with the suzuki samurai's in the states...

Comment

Working...
                            X