Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing - Too much sag?

Hi All,

I fitted a TowEquipe tow bar on the weekend to cart my jet ski around. I'm not sure how much give there should be at the rear so does the attached look normal or I'm I suffering from saggy bum?
    Attached Files
    [IMG]http://www.slate8.com/hiluxstuff/hilux-sig.gif[/IMG]

Hard to tell from that pic. The ground appears to slope slightly, and I dont know how much the jet ski, (and any stuff in the back) weighs

With a very heavily loaded trailer mine will definately look like that, but with a light load, or empty trailer will not sag at all.

Originally posted by Slate8
    Hi All,

I fitted a TowEquipe tow bar on the weekend to cart my jet ski around. I'm not sure how much give there should be at the rear so does the attached look normal or I'm I suffering from saggy bum?
    Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

it does look a little low even for the jet ski or even not get some of the 20% stronger rear springs fitted they do make a big difference
      if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

Have a look at centre bottom of rear springs.How much gap between axle housing spring support and bump stops? If very little then springs are sagging.

Neville

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys - will check out the rear spings Nev.

Firefly, where could I buy stronger springs from? any suggestions?
          [IMG]http://www.slate8.com/hiluxstuff/hilux-sig.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by Slate8
            Thanks for the tips guys - will check out the rear spings Nev.

Firefly, where could I buy stronger springs from? any suggestions?
            hi slate you can get the 20% uprated springs from milners
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

On the subject of towing. Has anyone got any idea of the towing capacity of a surf. i.e. whats the max towing weight

Comment

yup got mine from milners lift the rear up a good inch and a half, and max to weight is about 1900kgs i believe.....

Comment

I think the Surf will tow more than that, as long as the trailer is braked.
                  Give 'Dirty dog a shout, he will know.

Comment

just a peep at the search facility and found this

2002Kg with a braked trailer according to Toyota UK's 4Runner brochure.

Comment

Looks saggy, I think it should be 21" from wheel centre to bottom of wheelarch, searcg the forum the right number is on here somewhere. Most towbars are only rated to 2 tonnes so that would be it. Anything more than that would need HD towbar and it would need linking into the cars brake system and the whole thing replated for a bigger gross train weight.
                      Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Sagging rear -the car - not wor lass!!

Hi folks,
                        reading this thread - I think i have had this problem since i bought the surf.
                        My back end sags significantly when i fill the fuel tank!
                        Is that normal?
                        I have never noticed any difference in handling as i have nothing to compare it to.
                        this photo shows what i mean - and i've only got half a tank in!
                        would new uprated springs give better handling and how much do they cost.
                        oh .. and how much of a bugga are they to fit - or is it a haynes manual "6 spanner" job.
                        Attached Files
                        Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Blimey, i tow 4300kg,3500kg being a digger, rest is an ivor braked trailer.

Reakon im a tad overloaded.

Saying that it pulls a dream, just have to worry when braking.

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes
                            Hi folks,
                            reading this thread - I think i have had this problem since i bought the surf.
                            My back end sags significantly when i fill the fuel tank!
                            Is that normal?
                            I have never noticed any difference in handling as i have nothing to compare it to.
                            this photo shows what i mean - and i've only got half a tank in!
                            would new uprated springs give better handling and how much do they cost.
                            oh .. and how much of a bugga are they to fit - or is it a haynes manual "6 spanner" job.

Here you go dude!......

http://www.milneroffroad.com/LN130.htm

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsit...marketsusp.htm

Comment

thanks for that!

I think, looking at those pictures, mine must have been lowered at some point in time. it has the ground clearance of an acrophobic snake!
                              seem quite reasonably priced too - although looking at fitting, i may decide to get my local garage to fit them.
                              thanks again
                              Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Working...
                              X