Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just info on pulling a caravan

Hi to one and all
    I have finaly give up trying to find a decent mechanic and sending the surf to a main toyota dealer to have the big ends done?
    My plan is then to go and buy a large twin axle caravan and tour spain this winter do you think the surf would handle it or should I have some mods done to the rear suspension, I also intend to get a winch bumper fitted just in case
    all I need now is a buyer for the house and tonka(hilux with lwb landie back tub and harvey frost crane looks like a big tonka toy) any advice would be welcome

For towing I would definately get uprated rear coil springs. They're about £80/pair from Roughtrax or Milners.

Comment

and maybe an oil cooler if you're in spain with a BIG van
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Milner's rear springs

Originally posted by spoofer28
        Hi to one and all
        I have finaly give up trying to find a decent mechanic and sending the surf to a main toyota dealer to have the big ends done?
        My plan is then to go and buy a large twin axle caravan and tour spain this winter do you think the surf would handle it or should I have some mods done to the rear suspension, I also intend to get a winch bumper fitted just in case
        all I need now is a buyer for the house and tonka(hilux with lwb landie back tub and harvey frost crane looks like a big tonka toy) any advice would be welcome
        Fitted Milner rear springs earlier in the year. They were actually only £40 +P&P and are 20% stronger. Lifted the rear by over 50mm. More stable on its own, and much better when towing. Had to fit a drop plate due to the higher rear to bring the caravan back level. Do not use any stabilisers when towing, never had the need, even when cruising at 70mph+. Put this down to both the weight of a SURF and the height of it in front of the caravan, I'm sure this smoothes the airflow over the caravan a bit like the spoilers that artics use on top the cab. Running the caravan either level or slightly nose-down is also essential for high speed stability.

Colin

Comment

The uprated springs are a must, toyota used watch springs, even without the van on the back but roofbox on, dogs in cage in back and loads of **** on the folded rear seats I would hit my head on the open talgate, it must have dropped 2 inches at least. The springs fixed this, I didn't need the drop-plate to keep my outfit level, I find setting the dampers on hard makes a big difference. I still find the whole thing a bit "twitchy" but once you get used to it I could cruise all day at 65-70ish (my van has an alko stabiliser hitch). The one thing that is irritating is hitching it up, I have to open the spare wheel otherwise the handle of the hitchlock wont open right up, this means being careful when reversing not to hit van with open wheel, especially if approaching at a slight angle. I also find the handbrake hits the spare wheel sometimes it reversing very tight. All in all I find the Surf a good and very powerful towcar. Doesn't feel quite as stable as my old Paj (might be the extra height on the Paj sending the air over it?) but got loads more power. Mind you I had a blowout on the van with the Paj and it didn't even move it, just felt a slight tug backwards. I would rather not get another one to see how the Surf handles it.
          Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Working...
          X