Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheated, engine options

Hi All,

As may have read at http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...0&page=1&pp=10 I killed our 3.0 yesterday in the worst overheating circumstances - it overheated before I noticed, puffed some smoke out the back and then dumped it's coolant out the expansion tank before cutting out.

I've mailed Tony but I see on the website 4x4toys is shut until tomorrow. Because this is just consuming my whole brain thinking about what damage might be done, does anyone know roughly how much a replacement engine is?

Having topped up the lost coolant, I tried starting it and the truck still starts but it sounds like it's only firing on 3 pistons (other then that it sounds ok - no clunking etc.) and it immediately stinks of exhaust gases. I've checked and there's no sign that the oil and water have mixed and it's not losing fluid. Also, cos the whole engine is caked in mud a leak would be obvious but there's nothing. My guess is that it's melted/dropped a piston and that I might be lucky and not have done in the head.

Does this sound plausible?

If this is the case, is it likely to have done any other damage do you reckon? and will I still be looking at a replacement engine?

I know this is all theoretical but I'm trying to get an idea of what I'm likely to be looking at and I know many of you have experienced overheating probs.

Thanks in advance!
    Real trucks don't have spark plugs

It don't sound too expensive to me.
    When the engine is running, is there a load of smoke belching out the back?
    Whatever the problem is , the first thing is to remove the head and all should be revealed under there.
    It may be a blown gasket, or a warped head, but I doubt that you will need a whole new engine.
    I hope this relieves some of the pain.

Comment

I agree with Vince, if it is running without any unusual banging or clanking then I doubt very much if it has dropped a piston. You may have killed and injector or burnt out a valve - possibly get away with a head rebuild - new valves and possibly seats if the old ones won't grind in. Or if you have killed the gasket then that might explain the running on 3 cylinders if it has blown enough to reduce compression on one cylinder.

Hopefully you haven't cracked the head.

Bottom end on the Toyota engines is pretty robust as long as you don't knock out a big end which could cause a piston through the block - I think you would notice this. I would reckon with the smell, you have burnt out an exhaust valve seat and it is causing blow by into the exhaust causing the smell of unburnt exhaust gasses and no compression on 1 cylinder.

Cheers and good luck.

Comment

Id avoid getting a new engine at all costs and it doesnt sound anywhere near bad enough to warrant it anyway.
        Better the devil you know than the one you dont.

Like I said when I stopped it sounds like what Lucky has mentioned and not as if the head has gone.
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Thanks guys - you're certainly making me feel a little better! A head rebuild I could handle as that's a lot cheaper then what I was expecting!

"I would reckon with the smell, you have burnt out an exhaust valve seat and it is causing blow by into the exhaust causing the smell of unburnt exhaust gasses and no compression on 1 cylinder." Yeah, that definately sounds possible.

I'm almost 100% sure the big ends are fine - I know what this sounds like and I'd definately notice.

I also can't see smoke belching out the back - though it did give a large puff when it overheated.

As Tim says - I'd rather not replace the engine as I know this one is a great little unit with low miles for a 94 truck.

Thanks guys!

Comment

If you run the engine and 'crack' an injector pipe , one at a time , and that it makes no difference to the engine on one in particular you know which cylinder it is that is down . Usually No.2 or No.3 is the cylinder that fails with a head gasket , No. 4 for a knackered overheated piston , in my experience .

Does sound like a blown head gasket to me and the puff of smoke out back was the clyinder pressure dropping as the gasket failed .

It takes a lot to run a diesel piston out that quick . I know how far you made it as we passed your sick Snoop de ville . No way far enough in my opinion for a piston (I hope I am right ) .
            Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
              If you run the engine and 'crack' an injector pipe , one at a time , and that it makes no difference to the engine on one in particular you know which cylinder it is that is down . Usually No.2 or No.3 is the cylinder that fails with a head gasket , No. 4 for a knackered overheated piston , in my experience .

Does sound like a blown head gasket to me and the puff of smoke out back was the clyinder pressure dropping as the gasket failed .

It takes a lot to run a diesel piston out that quick . I know how far you made it as we passed your sick Snoop de ville . No way far enough in my opinion for a piston (I hope I am right ) .
              Thanks Rick. OK fingers firmly crossed.

Unfortunately I guess I really can't know until it's in bits.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop
                Thanks Rick. OK fingers firmly crossed.

Unfortunately I guess I really can't know until it's in bits.
                Snoop
                dont know if you had cought any of my previous about my 3.0l rebuild, was sick as a pig when mine went..bottom end did cost a bit but so well worth it now, gotta take the top off and have a look first, but do agree with the others so far, But not that I want to worry you but these motors will run with some major probs
                if you want to PM me with a phone number (landline) I can give you a call and share my tale of woe and what it cost me
                Tony
                Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires

if you want to PM me with a phone number (landline) I can give you a call and share my tale of woe and what it cost me
                  Tony
                  He wants be to cheered up, not driven to drink!

We're here, just forgot to update the website.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
                    Snoop
                    dont know if you had cought any of my previous about my 3.0l rebuild, was sick as a pig when mine went..bottom end did cost a bit but so well worth it now, gotta take the top off and have a look first, but do agree with the others so far, But not that I want to worry you but these motors will run with some major probs
                    Tony
                    Thanks for the offer Tony - appreciate it. I'm handing over to Mr N for repair though as I don't have the time or space to attempt it myself at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                    X