rear parking mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear parking mirror

cant find any useful info in the search thread so can anyone help me.

finally got a switch for my rear parking mirror and when connected and pressing i can hear a switching noise from the mirror in the spoiler when pressing the button up or down although the mirror does not move.

do the motors wear out or does the mirror get stuck.

even though i probably will never use the mirror i would like to get it working

Its possible they may get stuck. When I got mine the mirror didn't work, found the fuse was blown, replaced it but still no go. I then dismantled the spoiler to remove the mirror. I did this without removing the spoiler from the car, there are bolts accessible on the underside of the spoiler which secure the top surface. On a quick inspection I could find nothing wrong, as I was short on time I reassembled it intending to have another go at a later date. Whatever I disturbed must have done the trick however as its worked flawlessly since.
    I reckon it had somehow stuck, which probably caused the fuse to go, I must have inadvertently freed it up just by removing and replacing it, could be worth your while trying similar.
    At least you can hear something from it when attempting to activate it, I did not check that. I don't recall seeing any relays etc attached to the mirror, so hopefully the noise you can hear is the motor attempting to extend the mirror, possibly against a jammed mechanism.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
      Its possible they may get stuck. When I got mine the mirror didn't work, found the fuse was blown, replaced it but still no go. I then dismantled the spoiler to remove the mirror. I did this without removing the spoiler from the car, there are bolts accessible on the underside of the spoiler which secure the top surface. On a quick inspection I could find nothing wrong, as I was short on time I reassembled it intending to have another go at a later date. Whatever I disturbed must have done the trick however as its worked flawlessly since.
      I reckon it had somehow stuck, which probably caused the fuse to go, I must have inadvertently freed it up just by removing and replacing it, could be worth your while trying similar.
      At least you can hear something from it when attempting to activate it, I did not check that. I don't recall seeing any relays etc attached to the mirror, so hopefully the noise you can hear is the motor attempting to extend the mirror, possibly against a jammed mechanism.
      think i will try that myself in the morning. just started to p**s down with rain.

thanks for the help

Comment

You may find it easier to remove the spoiler as some of the bolts which hold the two pieces together can be a bugger to get at and are much easier to get at if it is laid flat in front of you. There are two plastic covers on the base of the spoiler which need to be removed and the spoiler is held on with two bolts, the electrics can be unclipped by removing top part of interior trim on the hatch.

I took the spoiler off to fit a work light to it, tried seperating the parts on the truck and found it a no no due to some of the bolt locations.

Comment

Originally posted by kazam401
          You may find it easier to remove the spoiler as some of the bolts which hold the two pieces together can be a bugger to get at and are much easier to get at if it is laid flat in front of you. There are two plastic covers on the base of the spoiler which need to be removed and the spoiler is held on with two bolts, the electrics can be unclipped by removing top part of interior trim on the hatch.

I took the spoiler off to fit a work light to it, tried seperating the parts on the truck and found it a no no due to some of the bolt locations.
          Yea, access the way I did it was a little awkward, I lowered the rear window, opened the tailgate and stood with my head in the open window to access the bolts. Removing the full spoiler first would probably be the easier option.
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Hi,
            Mine did exactly the same, just a clicking around the mirror area.
            I fixed mine by taking it apart and sprayed everything with wd40. I then gave everything a jiggle to try and free something off. I couldn't find anything jammed in the gears so just put it back together and low and behold it sprung in to action!!!
            Before everyone jumps in, I personally find it usefull for reversing up to my trailer etc.

Andy

Comment

Working...
            X