Which generation surf for a newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which generation surf for a newbie

Thinking of changing my Pajero for a Surf and it looks like 1997 when the 3rd generation came out.

I can obviously see a difference in the body shape between the 2nd generation and the 3rd but what are the other differences?
    For example
    Is the 3l deisle the same?
    Is the suspension the same?
    Is the interior the same?

The reason i ask is because i wonder if the 3rd gen is worth the extra investment!

Like to hear your veiws, especialy if you've owned a 2nd gen and upgraded to a 3rd.
    Dan

If you browse through the forum, you'll find this question was asked (again) only yesterday.
    In the reply to that post you'll find links to several older posts detailing differences between 2nd & 3rd Gens (which actually appeared late in 1995 for the 1996 model year, not '97)
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
      If you browse through the forum, you'll find this question was asked (again) only yesterday.
      In the reply to that post you'll find links to several older posts detailing differences between 2nd & 3rd Gens (which actually appeared late in 1995 for the 1996 model year, not '97)
      and for what its worth id say buy a 3rd gen if only to stop newbies asking questions about the 4wd systems on the 2nd gens
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

I bought a 1996 model which i assume is 3rd gen but have recently seen newer looking ones with air intakes onthe bonnett and rear mirrors onthe top spolier. Are these just higher spec surfs or have we moved on a generation (clearly I havent!)

Comment

I did the same thing as you... I had a Pajero, and now have a 3rd Gen SSR-G. Absolutely love it. Much smoother, more power, not quite as roomy, but overall a better vehicle... Good luck...

Comment

Originally posted by fergus
            I bought a 1996 model which i assume is 3rd gen but have recently seen newer looking ones with air intakes onthe bonnett and rear mirrors onthe top spolier. Are these just higher spec surfs or have we moved on a generation (clearly I havent!)
            The bonnet scoop in on the intercooler version, and the rear mirror is standard on the SSR-G. Still probably 3rd Gens you seen, at the 4th's are after 2002, and look completely different. Looking at the 1st thru 3rd Generations you can see a progressing family resemblance, the 4th changes the look completely.
            Maurice

Comment

I had a Paj (2.5) now got a gen 3 surf. The Surf has sackloads more power but is no way as comfortable. Although the surf looks smaller I think it is bigger, although it isn't as tall ( a bonus when going to the tip), it is defo longer cos I parked the two side by side. Main difference mechanically is that the gen 3 has a 4wd sytem similar to the super select system on the Paj, i.e you can use 4wd on tarmac if the feeling takes you. Earlier models did not benefit from this. You can get them with silly low milages on, mine had 16k miles on it when I bought it, paperwork showing it lived in Tokyo before probaby means it was running 24/7 to run that up!
              Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Nothing wrong with 2nd gen - I wouldnt swap mine!
                Its a lot of personal preference really - try both and see which you like best.

Originally posted by Dan
                Thinking of changing my Pajero for a Surf and it looks like 1997 when the 3rd generation came out.

I can obviously see a difference in the body shape between the 2nd generation and the 3rd but what are the other differences?
                For example
                Is the 3l deisle the same?
                Is the suspension the same?
                Is the interior the same?

The reason i ask is because i wonder if the 3rd gen is worth the extra investment!

Like to hear your veiws, especialy if you've owned a 2nd gen and upgraded to a 3rd.
                Dan
                Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
                  Nothing wrong with 2nd gen - I wouldnt swap mine!
                  Its a lot of personal preference really - try both and see which you like best.

Quite right Linda, as has been said before, really not lots to choose from between 2nd & 3rd Gens in terms of ownership experience and capabilities, all down to personal preference. And whilst I quite like my 3rd Gen, of all the previous vehicles I've had, the one I most regretted selling was my Black '93 2nd Gen.
                  They're all excellent motors. 1st, 2nd or 3rd, I'd happily live with any of them.
                  Maurice

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
                    1st, 2nd or 3rd, I'd happily live with any of them.
                    I do!!!

Been really quite this week (Tony on hols) we've only had 1 surf visitor. So just 1 1st gen, 1 2nd gen and 1 hilux pickup here + half a 2nd gen breaker. Place looks deserted!
                    Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

My view for what it's worth. Feel free to rip me to pieces.

I asked the same question a few days ago, as I'm in the market for a new motor. Having had a 4Runner 3.0 V6 petrol (2nd gen) I do know a little bit about them. Since asking I've driven both 2nd and 3rd gens. Here are my initial thoughts.

The 2nd gen was a Burgundy 1994 3.0 ssrg 55k miles and with a nice recaro interior. I selected drive from the auto box and proceeded to accidentally spin the wheels as I set off, plenty of power then, and was very impressed with the feel of the car on the road. The truck felt very solid and planted, the seats comfy and supportive. The auto select lever was the only ugly thing in the car, but the dash is a bit dated. A leather Centre armrest housed seperate heater controls for the rear. A leather steering wheel had cruise control buttons on it, a handy piece of kit on a run. Overall impressed, but he wanted 5k for it, just a little less than the 3rd gen I was to drive the following morning. The colour was the worst thing about the car.

I pulled in behind the Darkish Blue over Silver 1995 (3rd Gen) 3.0 ssrx. This car had covered 100k miles. A very smart looking tool with a few scratches here and there, but hey it's a 10 year old car and it's going cheap - 5.7k ono. The dash a bit more modern, the gear selector looks better, there is a button on the lever to select 4wd, beside the extra lever - 2h 4h 4l. The seats were thinner than the mk2, the rear door opened up, better for access ! I drove off in the car, no wheel spin this time, obviously similar to the 2nd gen it somehow didn't feel just as solid and planted, felt a little flimsier. A second look at the outside was beautiful car in a fantastic colour scheme.

Summary was that maybe the build quality of the 3rd gen not quite as good as the over-engineered Toyota of the past, looks on the outside are compromised by a slightly inferior interior, maybe a ssrg 3rd gen with recaro would improve this, but apparently they are rare, and expensive.

Difficult to choose between the 2, like kissing your sister - nothing in it, but personally I'd probably buy a good 2nd gen ssrg and use the grand or so saved to fit some goodies, but don't hold me to that.

Comment

I own a 3rd gen,it is by far the best vehicle I have ever driven,I just wish people would stop bumping into it and not owning up.........ASSHOLES!!!!!