Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo advice needed

Hi all

I have just collected my 2.4 surf and driven it from Southampton to Bristol. No sign of overheating. Phew!

Several things are now apparent to me. The Surf feels underpowered. I am pretty certain that I have everything set up to maximise tarmac use, but would appreciate confirmation that the four wheel drive lever should be on 'N' with the side button out, the overdrive button on, and the ECT off.

The brakes feel like the servo is disconnected, where should I start looking?

The turbo is whistling away as soon as I touch the throttle, but I wouldn't describe forward motion as 'rapid'. I have a boost gauge that permanently shows zero, and three other devices.

One device has LED lights, is covered in buttons and is marked 'Turbo Timer'.
    The next has a digital numeric display and sweeping LED's. The numbers seem to go up and down according to throttle depression etc.
    The next device looks like a TV remote control on a cable and has three buttons on it. Off, High and Low? I haven't got a clue what this does!

If anyone out there has a degree in electronics please respond!!

Cheers

Rob G
    Last edited by wibblywobbly; 20 November 2003, 19:30.

I have just collected my 2.4 surf and driven it from Southampton to Bristol. No sign of overheating. Phew!

Several things are now apparent to me. The Surf feels underpowered They're not that quick but you do get a feeling of power (not sure on a 2.4 though). I am pretty certain that I have everything set up to maximise tarmac use, but would appreciate confirmation that the four wheel drive lever should be on 'N', Should be on H2 but 2nd gen may differ with the side button out, the overdrive button on, and the ECT off.

The brakes feel like the servo is disconnected, where should I start looking?

The turbo is whistling away as soon as I touch the throttle, but I wouldn't describe forward motion as 'rapid'. I have a boost gauge that permanently shows zero, and three other devices.

One device has LED lights, is covered in buttons and is marked 'Turbo Timer'. keeps the engine running after you've taken out the keys to ensure the turbo cools evenly and not too quickly (handy if you're just popping to the cash machine!!)

The next has a digital numeric display and sweeping LED's. The numbers seem to go up and down according to throttle depression etc. electronic rev counter??
    The next device looks like a TV remote control on a cable and has three buttons on it. Off, High and Low? I haven't got a clue what this does!
    Probably for something that's been nicked during import... Jap motors have all sorts of gadgets fitted, but it's rare that they work in UK.
    watch out for this when buying as they're offered as selling points!

If anyone out there has a degree in electronics please respond!!

Cheers

Rob G
    Last edited by dabigman; 20 November 2003, 21:43.
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

turbo

Hi Rob G,
      1/ Are you the 1st owner, if so why is there a reversing light on the back instead of a FOG light, or has it got a RED bulb in it even so l dont think that is "LEGAL"
      2/ Check all the pipe,s are connected around the "TURBO" and the big rubber hose from the air-filter
      3/ What milage has the vehicle done.
      4/ l dont know how it has passed an MOT if the servo does not seem to be working and that reversing light maybe come FOG light.
      5/ l would ring the dealer and Complain and ask him about all the dials,
      6/ Sorry if it seems l am trying to put your new baby down but there are to many people getting ripped off lately and doing nothing about it.

BY the way l deal in imports so l know what l am talking about.
      Live Life To The Full

Comment

To Hilux Bob

You are extremely observant! I should have put Southampton 'Docks' in my original item, you did however miss the lack of registration plates, which may have given the game away?! I was even followed by at least two police cars during the journey, neither of whom noticed either!!

The Surf is now on my driveway awaiting conversion to UK regs, and so yes, what you are seeing is the Jap spec. It was a good job that I made it home in daylight as the spots are wired into the headlight switch too.

Thanks for the advice on the servo, it was an interesting drive home!

Rob G

Comment

Exhaust don't look standard, bonnet scoop 2.4? looks lifted, looks/sounds like it has had a bit of stuff done on it.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

the tyres look a little on the big side and anything over 32 will mean a reduction in power if the difs have not been re geared which might explain the lack of pull
            so much to do , so little money , so little time

Comment

I like! sweet truck, they could easily be 33" tyres, guessing at least 4" of lift on there as well.

mud flaps and silly bits of checker plate on bull bar would have to go though!
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                I like! sweet truck, they could easily be 33" tyres, guessing at least 4" of lift on there as well.

mud flaps and silly bits of checker plate on bull bar would have to go though!
                That bullbar could be contributing to the slow performance,what an effing beast!
                Powered by ????

Comment

the mutz nutz mate looks the biz
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                  (")_(")

Comment

Larf!

Thanks for the kind comments, and the tips and advice, and yes it has been modified, although the extent of this will only be established when I can give it the once over.

What you can't see (and which I have to rectify for the MOT is that the left front sidelight has been removed and replaced with some weird sculpted block that appears to have two air vents in it. These have mini grills so I am assuming that they are air intakes, but lord knows what they do. The pipework runs inside of the wing somewhere.

I either have to fit a new sidelight (£15 Milners) or bolt another sidelight on instead.

Oh, and there is another set of alloys in the back fitted with brand spanking new road tyres, plus sidesteps, plus other goodies..right down to cup holders!

I have got my trained mechanic mate coming round tomorrow who knows about Surfs, and has owned one, so hopefully I can unravel the eternal mysteries of this one.

Jacked up? I kid you not I am on the same level as drivers sat in the cabs of their Artics, and I literally have to climb in. I had no idea it was this high when I ordered it!!

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

plates

Originally posted by wibblywobbly
                      You are extremely observant! I should have put Southampton 'Docks' in my original item, you did however miss the lack of registration plates, which may have given the game away?! I was even followed by at least two police cars during the journey, neither of whom noticed either!!

The Surf is now on my driveway awaiting conversion to UK regs, and so yes, what you are seeing is the Jap spec. It was a good job that I made it home in daylight as the spots are wired into the headlight switch too.

Thanks for the advice on the servo, it was an interesting drive home!

Rob G
                      Actually l did not miss the plates just thought you took them off so no one could double up with your reg. And l agree with the rest of them very nice looking motor.
                      Last edited by Hilux; 20 November 2003, 22:12.
                      Live Life To The Full

Comment

This controls the IPF spot lights , they have two patterns a bit like main and dip beam and also off , also the bull bar is a Jaos bar , I had one on one of my surfs bloody heavy thing it was .
                        Last edited by andy; 20 November 2003, 22:20.

Comment

I am jealous! Its lovely, all that height and those rims and tyres mmmm .... and you didnt even realise it ... roof rack and thingy on top, and those bullbars - more like elephant nudgers, the scoop in the bonnet, all the toys inside to play with, sunroof by the looks of it, rear spoiler, and a spare set of wheels in the back with new tyres on ... did you do your lotto yet for this weekend !

ps. as regards speed 2446cc is probably the smallest displacement you could go to pull these things around the roads, mines lazy too but I love it. Drove a 3.0 trooper the job owns a few times and whooooah theres power but I hate the drive it gives
                          Last edited by JimL; 20 November 2003, 23:03.

Comment

Full spec so far...

In case anyone wants to know what was fitted to this 'lucky dip' personal import, here goes...

ES9000 shocks all round.
                            High lift springs all round.
                            Full big bore stainless exhaust with polished tailpipe.
                            Tow hook
                            Bull bars
                            Remote control spots
                            Sunroof
                            Roof Rack
                            Rear Spoiler
                            Five gold spoked/polished rim alloys with off road tyres
                            Five grubby alloys with brand new road tyres
                            Side steps
                            Turbo boost gauge
                            Turbo timer
                            Programmable turbo mode selector
                            Aftermarket composite bonnet with vent
                            Extended mudflaps (now removed)
                            Twin Bosch high power batteries

I have yet to establish whether the motor has been 'breathed upon', but the passenger side sidelight has been replaced with a purpose built dual hose inlet that obviously routes air somewhere?

It looks as though the Surf was a surfers truck, the inside was filthy, and had pebbles and crap in it.

In case you hadn't been following the saga, I saw this one on Ebay and bought it privately outside of the auction. I knew bugger all about Surf's and the company had not described it as anything other than a bog standard surf in excellent condition. I had never imported a car before in my life and bought this on a 'suck it and see' basis.

Ho hum....and the insurance was £311 fully comp and no Thatcham kit needed?

A big thanks to those that have answered my pea-brained questions and have a nice day y'all!!

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

Sweet score Rob.

Have fun with it, and learning how to abuse it.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                              X