MPG-towing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPG-towing

I know that there is a lot of stuff on mpg but I have searched and cant find anything about mpg figures when towing a caravan. Any info would be welcome .

it will be worse
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

with any heavy weights or lots of drag between 16-20 mpg from my experience.
      It really depends on the size of the van.
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

if its any help weve just done a trip from west yorkshire to newquay around 380 miles each way, and cost around £80 in diesel for each trip, wasnt gunning the car but held a steady 60-65 most of the way.
        if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

Towing

Just returned fron 2500 miles around France towing a Sunncamp 400, with roofrack loaded up and 4 on board....23 ish mpg, and it did not miss a beat

Comment

def a bit less than not towing. Mind you, I have no difference towing my trailer (it is a small one though lol)
            Dave

Comment

just did just over 650 kms today on 90 litres towing a light box van empty then loaded and thats about 20mpg.
              Tim
              Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

I tow a smallish medium van and have a roofbox, car is usually well loaded up and it did 23ish from Kent to Thirsk. I was keeping it around 60ish and not sparing the loud pedal on the hills. I don't really notice much difference with or without the van, but I dont keep a record.
                Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Took a freinds caravan from Southampton to North Yorkshire, fully loaded with roof box. Cruised at about 50-60 (apart from the three traffic jams) and she dropped from a steady 20mpg to 18mpg.
                  Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by misterg
                    I know that there is a lot of stuff on mpg but I have searched and cant find anything about mpg figures when towing a caravan. Any info would be welcome .
                    Just come back from Blackpool with 4 adults, 2 dogs, 1 child, 19ft Hobby caravan and all necessary luggage for 5 days tent, awning,fishing tackle etc. worked it out at 17 mpg instead of my usual 24/25
                    Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Just got back

Got a 3ltr, just towed a 1400kg, 20ft caravan from Bristol to Dulverton and back, along with loads of luggage.

Never hit any traffic, mainly motorways, but incredibly, from brimfull it only used a quarter of a tank each way.

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

just got back from Dawlish and the journey down on the A303/M5 worked out to be about 15/17 ish but the journey home on a slower A35 to Wareham then home to Southampton worked out at 19/20 ish can only guess that the foot was lighter on the way home ,think it only fair to mention that we had to travel slightly slower as my mates Y reg disco kept over heating so by my reckoning thats one nil to my surf and a ten grand saving ,he had the heater on all the way ,so not a pleasent journey at all for him,also dont fancy what they are going to find when it ends up in Hunters this week .could be two nil by the week end lol

Comment

Originally posted by misterg
                          Touring from - Kent to Scotland - including Fort William - Inverness - Sterling and back home towing a 1500 kg. caravan with careful application of the right foot gave me, 23 mpg overall. This included trips to Skye, Ullapool, John-o-groates, and many more (without the caravan). Total of 2800 miles.
                          Plus she's just passed the MOT ready for the next 12 months.
                          Regards Colin.

Comment

Just got back from two weeks in South Wales towing a 1350kgs caravan (120 miles each way) with my 3.0L 2nd gen, including two bikes on the roof mounted cycle racks, so aerodynamics were cr*p. I've got exact fuel usage records for all our cars and the Surf did 19.3 mpg towing down and 18.73 on the way back (obviously more uphil coming back!!!).

The normal average is around 24-25mpg solo with an overall YTD average of 22.26mpg. The best ever was 28.9mpg on a mostly M-way / duel carriageway run to London last year keeping to 60mph.
                            Last edited by Tallyman; 5 September 2005, 22:44.
                            Mike G

Comment

on our way to hols - we had nearly 29 mpg with the trailer and roof box - mind you, I didn't go over 60 mph
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X