Mpg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mpg

Had my truck for 11 days now . I filled it right up to the brim and put 2 bottles of fuel injector cleaner in the tank when I was doing it. Have used the truck for work, which is 20.5 miles away, so 41 miles a day round trip. I would say half is country lanes and half is the A34. I have done 80mph on the A34 to clear the engine out as it's only been over from Japan a month, and have driven it nice and steady on the lanes. The fuel gauge dropped to empty today , so filled it up.

In the time since I filled it up until today I've done 262.84 miles (423Kms) and it took 11.67 UK Gallons (53.09Lts) to fill it up to the brim again . The Diesel was priced at 91.9 pence per litre .

I have worked out that my truck did 22.52mpg for this period . I have seen people quote 29-30mpg for their trucks. This makes me think that either my truck is as thirsty as an oil tanker, there is something wrong with it, or it's about normal for this size truck!!!!!

Can you guys give me some mpg figures for your trucks please, so I can compare mine, thanks. I hope it improves otherwise I am left with 6 options.

1. Change jobs to where I live, so I'm not doing the mileage.
    2. Get rid of it before I'm broke.
    3. Convert it to run on Veg Oil.
    4. Keep my Peugeot 106 Diesel that I was going to sell. (60-65mpg)
    5. Change jobs to where I live, keep the truck and push bike into work so I don't have to use it during the week.
    6. Tap into my companies two 90,000lt Diesel tanks and steal it.

What do you guys think, any ideas greatly appreciated.

By the way, my company runs some trucks from the Hemel Hempstead depot, which obviously have diesel engines, on LNG (Liquid Natural Gas). Is this option available as an alternative to Veg Oil??

Andy

3 and 6
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Hi Wifey and I have 2 Surfs, one a 1993 2.4 manual, averages 20-22 mpg
      my 1994 3.0 manual averages 22-24 around town and 25-30 on a run if I follow speed limits, If I am more heavy with right foot the average drops below 20mpg.

You have a 2tonne bungalow on wheels, ladder frame chassis, the footprint of five fiestas and an engine built for low end torque. Your fuel burn is entirely normal!

Veg oil is an alternative if fuel costs realy hurt, but you could not realy hope for more mpg could you?

Reccomend all of the options you mention, combined you may find the running costs more reasonable, but the tax man cometh eventualy!

Best of luck,
      Gtdog
      Ok nicely done, when we dry off we can go find the boat!

Comment

sorry but....
        Attached Files
        mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

lol

You think youve got it bad, try a V6 !

Andy.

Comment

same here my 2.4 does 20-22 mpg less if i have a heavy right foot,
            www.overfab.uk

Comment

2.4 auto at 70-80mph 23-24mpg motorways
              back and foreward to work(approx 20 miles)24-25mpg country and town driving.

Comment

im lucky if i get over 200miles out of a tank with mine doing short runs around in the devon hills and in exeter.

mine needs all the filters changing and i do have a small oil leak from somewhere, half a blocked rad, a dodgy glow plug or two and a small water leak so i dont really think slightly below average consumption is at the top of my list of worries right now. . .

when i first got it it used to do about 250 miles on a tank so i think its normal, just think of it as a 'grin tax'
                matt

Comment

only know my tank in kms... 250-300 for round town (sometimes worse) and 400 on a slowish run. If i get 400 im happy.
                  I too need new glow plugs and have 2 oil leaks, my power steering is drinking oil at the moment!
                  Tim
                  Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Working...
                  X