Speedo conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo conversion?

Any suggestions on the best/cheapest/most cost productive way to convert the km speedo to mph? I am guessing that I will need to do this for the MOT. Or are they happy with naff numbers stuck onto the glass?

Cheers

Rob G

Originally posted by wibblywobbly
    Any suggestions on the best/cheapest/most cost productive way to convert the km speedo to mph? I am guessing that I will need to do this for the MOT. Or are they happy with naff numbers stuck onto the glass?

Cheers

Rob G
    think its milners 4x4 who sell converter speedo, not expensive and even i did it.
    Enjoying Life after Cancer
    Pops

Comment

speedo conv kmh-mph

dear surfer,
      i have encountered the same question and over come it. Get in touch with "fareastservices.co.uk the guys down there will send you a relacement speedo cover for £13.00 + the dreaded VAT, take your time to replace carefully, you will have to remove the dashboard instrument cluster and remove the two retaining screws holding speedo cover in place - remove old kmh version replace with mph version- now for the tricky bit, replace the speedo needle, rigged up(connected to power supply-4 x connectors) back at zero point, and then reconnect every other item disassembled, your ready for your MOT.......

check mph by following someone up the road at say 10, 20, 30 and 40 mph to confirm then your all up to speed, if i can be of any more help just ask.

optix

Comment

You can also get a little gearbox that goes between the speedo cable and the gearbox (some go on the back of the speedo) that saves taking everything apart.

This means your odometer will read correctly as well.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

speedo gearbox convertor

the gearbox inline converter is only going to be any good if the speedo is cable driven and costs approx £85.00
          furthermore the odometer will read as km's with the speedo cover from fareastservices, these chaps are seriously clued up, cant go wrong.
          so the odometer reads kms the outer scale of clock will read mph and inner scale reads kmh all for £13.00.
          optix

Comment

If you can deal with having the clock in KM/h just leave it, mines had two MOTS since I imported it and they never picked up on the speedo face. Have a good think about what your doing before tearing into the clocks. Someone on here wrecked theirs I seem to remember. You could try Euro-Spec 2000 Ltd http://www.euro-spec2000.co.uk/ they may do one for the surf, I found them very helpful with my GTO.
            Objects in the rear view mirror are losing

Comment

Originally posted by optix
              the gearbox inline converter is only going to be any good if the speedo is cable driven and costs approx £85.00
              furthermore the odometer will read as km's with the speedo cover from fareastservices, these chaps are seriously clued up, cant go wrong.
              so the odometer reads kms the outer scale of clock will read mph and inner scale reads kmh all for £13.00.
              optix

Got mine done between gearbox and cable, reads mph on the clock and records miles on the odometer all for £40 fitted, no taking clocks and dash out and another reason for the 2LT.
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

Mine was converted when it was SVA'd. They stuck a little black sticker over the "K", so that it now reads "MPH" instead of "KMPH. Not sure what they did to the mileage but the ODO now records miles instead of Kilo's. The only issue is that the original Kilo's were not converted to miles, therefore the 11000 reading on my ODO consists of 4480 Kilometres, and 6520 Miles!

Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by optix
                  optix
                  the replacement cover will not convert the odometer to miles, just the speedo.
                  for non cable you can get a plug in chip to convert it... can't remember where from though!
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Has anyone had any problems with the gearbox after fitting the converter chip from kph to mph? I bought a 2.4 Surf and had nothing but trouble with the gearbox...even had 2 new gearboxes fitted but still had the same problem as before. I have spent almost £1000 since January trying to get it sorted but to no avail. On Saturday took it to another garage and explained the problem to them...he told me if it had a chip fitted on the 2.4 auto it causes all sorts of problems with the gearbox, he took it out and fitted a new face all for £75 and so far have had no more problems with the gearbox...
                    Last edited by ninja_king; 15 April 2007, 22:17.
                    When the going gets tough...The Surf gets going!!!

Comment

You could allways try eBay I bought my MPH face for £6.99.
                      monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                        Got mine done between gearbox and cable, reads mph on the clock and records miles on the odometer all for £40 fitted, no taking clocks and dash out and another reason for the 2LT.
                        Where did you get that from????
                        Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Working...
                        X