4wd on the move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4wd on the move

ive just been reading through the faq section about selection 4wd in a 2nd gen surf.
    I was recently on holiday in france, on a sand dune, got stuck and needed 4wd. I stopped, put auto drive in N, then clicked the 4wd button and then moved into 4wd low. got me out of the hole no problems at all. BUT
    I am confused now after reading the faq, am I right in reading that you can be driving along at a steady 30 or 40mph and just click on the 4wd button and hey presto you have 4wd high? or do you have to move the 4wd shifter backwards to engage 4wd? You have to move it forward for 4wd low....

was i wrong to put drive into N first before i shifted to 4wd low? All other 4x4s ive driven you have to stop first, take engine out of gear then select 4wd gears then off you go again.

if anyone can shed any more light on this as I wasnt sure how to use 4wd high and havent really had the chance since i got back to terra firma to try it out.

thanks
    she's no angel

yep you can engauge 4WD high whilst moving just by pressing the button. Do not do it if you are travelling above 50mph, or on a solid surface ie tarmac, because the 2nd gen doesn't have a centre diff. Which means the front wheels will spin at the same speed as the back wheels, and when cornering the inside wheel to the corner needs to go faster than the outside wheel, placing strain on the cv joints which could break, unless the surface is loose allowing the wheels to slip ie gravel/mud.

The few times I've used 4wd low, like yourself I came to a complete stop enguaged neutral then put the lever in low.

For more info try Codlords' web site http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/
    as I've found his info usefull in the past also.
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick
      yep you can engauge 4WD high whilst moving just by pressing the button. Do not do it if you are travelling above 50mph, or on a solid surface ie tarmac, because the 2nd gen doesn't have a centre diff. Which means the front wheels will spin at the same speed as the back wheels, and when cornering the inside wheel to the corner needs to go faster than the outside wheel, placing strain on the cv joints which could break, unless the surface is loose allowing the wheels to slip ie gravel/mud.

The few times I've used 4wd low, like yourself I came to a complete stop enguaged neutral then put the lever in low.

For more info try Codlords' web site http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/
      as I've found his info usefull in the past also.
      you're talking about a cross axle diff lock, which the surf doesn't have...
      without a centre diff (in the transfer case) the rear prop is locked to the front prop... same as you described, but front and back wheels, not opposite sides.

you can't select 4wd if you're already stuck with the wheels spinning, you'll have to stop then... best to select on the move as you approach the bit you're gonna get stuck in!... this is easier with the amazing power of hindsight, but and educated guess would suffice!
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

the bit i got stuck on was a really tight, very sandy, down hill bend which i thought i could just about get round, i couldnt and when i needed to shunt backwards, well, it was having none of it. so in it went to 4wd low. backed out like i was on tarmac! ace.

i love my surf.

the only queiry i was pondering was the on the move selection, ie, picture the scenario, its winter, i head out of town ( manchester maybe), im cruising over the tops of derbyshire towards chesterfield and encounter a blizzard and roads covered with snow. i wouldnt want to stop on a hill if i could help it because its dangerous and knowing i can select to 4wd high on the move is very handy to know. I drove over that way with an MR2 with a very very expensive bike on the back in a blizzard last year and encountered rear wheel drive going up hill in thick snow is basically as usefull as a chocolate fireguard.
        I didnt buy the surf to deliberately off road, it just happens that the things i do for fun tend to take me off down badly made roads, byways, fields and unmade farm tracks... and the odd sand dune or two.
        she's no angel

Comment

In the senario you talk about you would be fine engaging 4WD Hi whilst moving. The short period you are on the hi traction surface (ie tarmac) would not cause any damage. Once you reach the end of the slippery surface you can just press the button again to disengage 4WD and carry on .

Be careful tho if you are driving though patches of slippery stuff and good traction, if you turn too many corners you could cause the transmission to 'wind up' and this would eventually lead to a loud noise and something in the drive train breaking

If the 2nd Gen is like mine (a 3rd) you may have a warning light (in orange or red) indicating this, if this is the case just reverse until the light goes out (normally only a few yards), or find your self some slippery stuff to drive on. This will allow the wheels to spin at different speeds and unwind themselves.

Hope this answers your questions

Andy D

Comment

Working...
          X