It wobbles at around 53 mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It wobbles at around 53 mph

I have searched and found other people have the same problem but on Gen 2s but there doesn't seem to have been any conclusive answers, so can anyone help.

It's a 1996 Gen 3 and when it gets to around 53mph it starts to shake, not through the steering particularly but the whole body, I think it is probably side to side but can't be sure. Difficult to describe accurately but it makes my bits of excess weight wobble!!

Tyres are Dunlops and look OK, shocks look Ok but the springs are so stiff I can't compress then for a bounce test!! Checked the prop shaft but can't feel any play. On smooth surfaces it hardly notices, but rough surfaces set it off very quickly and also it is worse when towing my caravan.

At the last MOT a few weeks ago the tester mentioned that the bushings on the steering rack were worn and needed replacing could this be the problem? I am not entirely convinced cos' I can't feel it through the steering.

Anyone have any ideas

Its going to be a process of elimination. start with the simplist, you say the tyres look OK, buy a visual inspection cannot tell you what their balance situation is, only a spin on a balancing machine can tell that.
    Worn steering bushes could also lead to vibrations, perhaps have them attended to next.
    When checking the driveshaft, also look for signs of missing weights, these are usually small thin pieces of steel spot welded to the shaft, its possibly (altough not very common) for these to come off, especially if hiting rocks when offroading.

Any other backround info, does the vibration go away again above a certain speed? Are they the original Jap tyres (If so, definatly check them first, notorous for balancing and other issues) Did the vehicle previously drive OK, ie has this gradually become apparant, or was it a sudden onset or always present?
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

I have only had the Surf for a few weeks and noticed it a couple of times but the road was fairly smooth so disregarded it but I think it was probably there when I bought it.

I have had the car up to 70 and it only gets a little worse but doesn't go away, didn't fancy going any faster in case I was going to knacker something.

The tyres are Dunlops but they were made in Japan so may be the original import ones as there are down a quite few millimetre on the tread (the car was imported a couple of years before I bought it). I have experienced out of balance wheels before and on those occasions the steering wheel shook a lot which is what I would expect if out of balance and though the wheel shakes a little it isn't by any means bad. Is this because it is the tyre running out of true because of its shape rather than the wheel being out of balance! If that makes sense.

Thanks for the help !

Keith

Comment

Its entirely possible for the tyres to go out of shape, and this seems a more common occurance on Jap market tyres than others. If the vibration was due to out of shape or balance tyres fitted to the rear you would not neccessarily feel it thru the steering.
        Personally I would start with the tyres anyway, get all 4 of them checked for balance and out of round.
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Check your wheel nuts too, I had a wheel wobble that felt like it was coming from the front and when I pressed the brake it felt like the discs were worn, the pedel went up and down!
          It turned out to be very loose nuts on the back, I could turn all 6 by hand.

I tnink I was lucky the wheel never came off! It has been alright since.
          I like Orientals

Comment

Rear Tyre

I had exactly the same problem. It turned out that one of the rear tyres had deformed and needed replacing.
            I didn't do it !

Comment

Thats interesting, didn't really consider the rear wheels, that would certainly explain the shake without affecting the steering.
              I'm not too far from Micheldever tyres who are often mentioned on the forum, I have had previous experience of them with other vehicles and generally they can't be beaten, i will book it in with them and get everything seen to.

Thanks a lot

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind
                I have searched and found other people have the same problem but on Gen 2s but there doesn't seem to have been any conclusive answers, so can anyone help.

It's a 1996 Gen 3 and when it gets to around 53mph it starts to shake, not through the steering particularly but the whole body, I think it is probably side to side but can't be sure. Difficult to describe accurately but it makes my bits of excess weight wobble!!

Tyres are Dunlops and look OK, shocks look Ok but the springs are so stiff I can't compress then for a bounce test!! Checked the prop shaft but can't feel any play. On smooth surfaces it hardly notices, but rough surfaces set it off very quickly and also it is worse when towing my caravan.

At the last MOT a few weeks ago the tester mentioned that the bushings on the steering rack were worn and needed replacing could this be the problem? I am not entirely convinced cos' I can't feel it through the steering.

Anyone have any ideas
                Sounds like exactly what i had. Fine on smooth surfaces but all hell breaks loose on rough / uneven roads.
                I've had endless issues with wobbles and vibrations etc. They've all been related to wheel balance, front end alignment, shocks and steering rack bushes. You'll probably need to get them all looked at to solve the problem completely. Yes, it could be rear end related, but most of your problems will be at the front.

Comment

same here, but given up throwing money on new parts (shocks, track rods ends, ball joints, idler arm bushes, pitman arm), tracking,
                  and balancing etc to solve the problem and just living with it!
                  Landcruiser Colorado
                  Sub. Forester

Comment

Thanks for your replies, I was looking at both your threads regarding the problem before I posted and was hoping there was a definitive answer. Sorry to hear you are still suffering Andy.
                    Will have to order a set of bushes from the states for the steering as I need them for the next MOT but will probably start with balancing and see what happens. Tempted to fit some nice new wheels and tyres but the better half wants a new kitchen!! so will have to wait.

Thanks again all Keith

Comment

Jack the wheels clear of the ground and spin them by had on the axle , you may see a distorted tyre . Found a few like that over the years . Uneven wear on tread can also give an indication of an out of shape tyre .

Did an Astra the other week for vibration . OSR tyre was oval in shape when off the ground and spun . Looked fine when on the ground as sidewalls just bulged out like normal .
                      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

I will definately try that one it doesn't cost anything

Are you still on the tools??

Comment

Thought I would update on my shakes.

I didn't believe the tyres would be the whole problem but I have just had new Bridgestone Duelers fitted (Surf is verey rarely going to be offroad) and I can't believe the difference in handling and ride, it is so much improved, no shakes, no bouncing across the road on large potholes and so quite, it's great.

I did check the wheels for lumps and running out of true but all seemed OK so i guess it is down to misshappen tyres or balancing.

Did notice while the wheels were off that the rear drums had small oblong metal plates rivetted on, there was one on one side and two on the other..are these for balancing the drums and could they cause shake if one was lost?

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind
                            Thought I would update on my shakes.

I didn't believe the tyres would be the whole problem but I have just had new Bridgestone Duelers fitted (Surf is verey rarely going to be offroad) and I can't believe the difference in handling and ride, it is so much improved, no shakes, no bouncing across the road on large potholes and so quite, it's great.

I did check the wheels for lumps and running out of true but all seemed OK so i guess it is down to misshappen tyres or balancing.

Did notice while the wheels were off that the rear drums had small oblong metal plates rivetted on, there was one on one side and two on the other..are these for balancing the drums and could they cause shake if one was lost?
                            I have seen rear brake drums on lorries 'wasted out' to balance them , but cars/4x4 are not offten done as the size of the drums will not spin fast enough to cause vibration .
                            Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Just my two pence worth but I had the same problem with my last Surf. I then had new tyres fitted and had all alignments checked and adjusted at the front, including balancing and suspension height, and it was like driving a different vehicle afterwards. This was certainly cheaper than strting to change suspension parts, (not i/c tyres of course),

Cheers, Nick
                              "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Working...
                              X