just bought my first surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just bought my first surf

well, ive gone and done it. just bought a 1996 blue over silver 3rd gen ssrg. well chuffed. 58,000 miles few little marks but apart from that its mint.
    the only thing i need to do is replace the foam in the drivers side outer edges of the seat.
    can see now why a few of you have said about this being a fault of the 3rd gen's over the seconds very robust seats.
    anyone out there know where i can get replacement foam. there is nothing wrong with the cloth, no wear or tears its just going flat.
    appreciate some help.
    also do i have to take half the dash apart to fit a new cd player as the original cassette that is fitted looks a little smaller.

Originally posted by larry28274
    well, ive gone and done it. just bought a 1996 blue over silver 3rd gen ssrg. well chuffed. 58,000 miles few little marks but apart from that its mint.
    the only thing i need to do is replace the foam in the drivers side outer edges of the seat.
    can see now why a few of you have said about this being a fault of the 3rd gen's over the seconds very robust seats.
    anyone out there know where i can get replacement foam. there is nothing wrong with the cloth, no wear or tears its just going flat.
    appreciate some help.
    also do i have to take half the dash apart to fit a new cd player as the original cassette that is fitted looks a little smaller.
    Welcome to the world of Surfism....all sounds very nice - congrats - but where are the piccies?? and the mud (had to ask before UDTrev does)
    If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

I am afraid I cant help in your quest for foam other than any marine cover manufacturer (Can supply a few phone numbers), ore infor on sterio for 3rd gen.

But best of luck with your lovely new toy!

All the best,
      Gtdog
      Ok nicely done, when we dry off we can go find the boat!

Comment

Originally posted by sumo
        Welcome to the world of Surfism....all sounds very nice - congrats - but where are the piccies?? and the mud (had to ask before UDTrev does)
        Bugga beaten to the punch !!!!

As said by Sumo, we WANT pics WITH mud.

Trev
        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

appreciate some help.
          If you are ever passing Macclesfield, the nice man in Macc army and navy cuts replacement foam for seats - he will copy anything, but without the squished. very reasonably priced.

You'd have to actualy go there though. non of this new fangled internet stuff

Comment

Welcome the surf city and the madhouse.....

The dash part is easy . If you do a search on here you will find the how to remove your dash write up with pics. Most of us newbies have done it and it only takes about an hour to replace the cd.player and put back.

Oh and you better put up some pics ,Trev and sumo will just keep dogging you til you do.

By the way dont worry about the bolt on grin............. it lasts forever.

all the best

Mike
            I always work better wet .

Its why I became a plumber!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike66

The dash part is easy . If you do a search on here you will find the how to remove your dash write up with pics. Most of us newbies have done it and it only takes about an hour to replace the cd.player and put back.

Oh and you better put up some pics ,Trev and sumo will just keep dogging you til you do.

all the best

Mike

thanks. picking it up on tuesday so will start fiddling then. as for the mud im gonna wax oil it first as its a fresh import and i dont want brown rust that will blend in with the mud all over it. cheers

Comment

all the best

Mike

here is some pics to keep trev and sumo from dogging me.....
                Attached Files

Comment

Isn't that something footballers do in carparks ?
                  Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

WHERES the MUD ??????

Trev
                    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

all the best

Mike

Nah!! It takes half the time on a 3rd Gen (another advantage) all you need to do is remove heater nobs, remove two screws at botttom of centre console (footwell) and two screws at centre console (front near handbrake). Remove tiny screw on top of 4wd lever and lift nob off top, Remove heater front panel and then just pull the bits off to give access. No need to strip the entire dashboard like the 2nd Gens.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Andy W
                        Nah!! It takes half the time on a 3rd Gen (another advantage) all you need to do is remove heater nobs, remove two screws at botttom of centre console (footwell) and two screws at centre console (front near handbrake). Remove tiny screw on top of 4wd lever and lift nob off top, Remove heater front panel and then just pull the bits off to give access. No need to strip the entire dashboard like the 2nd Gens.

Andy
                        thanks for thet. picking the surf up tuesday morning so will be changing the stereo tuesday afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy W

Andy
                          Never had to remove the knob on the 4wd lever.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                            Never had to remove the knob on the 4wd lever.
                            I do because the trim panels slot into each other.

Comment

Working...
                            X