Another Test Fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Test Fail

Brought my Surf for its DOE test today (Irish equivalent of MOT for commercial vehicles)
    Failed on two points, headlamp alignment, which the tester then sorted for me anyway, and o/s tyre rubbing on the upper A arm on full L/H lock. Guess I need to do a little more adjusting to get my new tyres to clear.
    As the other side is OK, and the rub is very slight, I reckon I can get enough adjustment by moving the forward end of the lower A arm outboard on its cam and then having the camber reset, if I can get the muppets in the wheel alignment place to understand what I'm talking about that is....

The guys in the center were quite interested in and complimentary about the Surf, especially considering they are an Isuzu service centerer, also recognised the odour of veggie immediately as they also had a Dublin Council truck in for some work which they reckon was running on waste veggie, presumably an elsbett conversion as they have a number of them on Cork council vehicles.
    The veggie is spreading ....
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

do you have wheel spacers??

i was just looking at some 295/75 16s...
    which works out at 33.4x11.6... (yours are 32.8x11.2) what da ya reckon??
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
      do you have wheel spacers??

i was just looking at some 295/75 16s...
      which works out at 33.4x11.6... (yours are 32.8x11.2) what da ya reckon??
      I don't have any spacers, although they were the first solution that popped into mind to cure the rubbing, have to be thin ones tho, as the 30mm ish ones favored here would probably push my tyres out too far, and if they protrude past the arches that would also mean a failure.

For 295/75 I reckon you would defiantly need either spacers or modified upper A Arms such as those Steve Schaeffer offers over on yotatech.
      This is assuming you're using original wheels, if you change the rims and get a different offset to suit, no spacers etc would be required.
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

might just get em and see what happens!!... thing i'm worried about is turning with the extra diameter tyres... if using spacers the arc of turning will be greater... but i guess i'll soon find out!!... hehehe!!...

will experiment and report back!!... (gee a £700 experiment, hope they sell well on ebay!!)
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Eeeek! Dont need to be reminded that my tax is up in a week and due to do the DOE. May aswell just bring it in and resign myself to a failure.
          Good luck at the retest Mo!
          Derek :
          1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
          [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Del, where in Kilkenny u from. watch out for my english reg Surf hitting the streets ther soon when i come 'home' on holidays.

Comment

Working...
            X