Show me your roof rack/bars......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show me your roof rack/bars......

OK, need to sort out a roof rack for Garath, need ideas/style/suppliers. Its gonna be carrying long timber lengths and boards so we want to get the bars as spread out as poss.

Post up pics of your rack, and who makes it, and I can then give him a list of options and if they're all in one thread, its easier to referance to later for others.

Go for it team....................

Ta
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Ahhh, ok.

Eezi-Awn 90cm trays (two of) and their gutterless roof bars braced through to the inner roof braces.

Far too much money, but will handle about 250 to 300kg... or an hour to an hour and a half to load unload...

about 1.4 metres wide, and about 2 metres long...

Comment

Halfrauds do the Thule roof bars for the 4Runner. Can't remember the option numbers but will be in the catalogue. They will take as much load as the roof is permitted to take (about 60kgs I think). Will only fit on the front though, so you're limited to the available space over the doors.
      Mike G

Comment

All the Halfrauds near me, said it wasn't stocked anymore, and Thule said it was discontinued...?

Comment

Glad I got mine last year then. However, I believe the various parts are used on other makes. Certainly the bars are pretty universal (mine were for a Volvo 940 and therefore supposed to be a few inches too long but not a problem), the foot pack is definitely used on other makes, so it's only going to be the fitting kit that might make a difference. But, hell, if Thule are discontinuing it just as loads of Surfs are on their way to our shores, they're going to loose out on a lot of sales.

Just had a look on the Thule website http://www.thule.co.uk/ and if you go to the Application Guide and use the Toyota model search you'll find they still list for a 4Runner (right at the top), although the fitting kit number appears to be different to mine but looks the same.
          Last edited by Tallyman; 22 July 2005, 20:17.
          Mike G

Comment

For long lengths of timber (or conduit/cable tray that I carry sometimes) get a cheapo fit anything gutter mount set in addition to Surf specific ones.

Fit the Surf ones as normal, get two peices of small box section steel and some U bolts. U Bolt the box section at the ends of the rear surf bar.

Remove the feet from one of the cheapo gutter mount bars (but keep the rubbers) and rest over the rear of the roof.

U bolt the other end of box section to the ends of the cheapo bars to make a square, and the weight of the load will hold it in place.

Well it has so far!

Its a bit rough and ready and could be improved greatly but works as a temporary measure!
            I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Working...
            X