Really dumb question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really dumb question....

OK - so I need to take the spare off the back of my surf. Easy - you would think, but I have a locking nut onit. Now I assumed that the ignition key would be the one to use seeing as that is the only one I have but although it goes into the locking nut I can't turn it either way and the locking nut just keeps on spinning - any ideas/help much appreciated as I really have to get the spare off this week....otherwise it will be an angle grinder to the head on the rear of the carrier and rip it off.......
    Attached Files

Originally posted by humero
    OK - so I need to take the spare off the back of my surf. Easy - you would think, but I have a locking nut onit. Now I assumed that the ignition key would be the one to use seeing as that is the only one I have but although it goes into the locking nut I can't turn it either way and the locking nut just keeps on spinning - any ideas/help much appreciated as I really have to get the spare off this week....otherwise it will be an angle grinder to the head on the rear of the carrier and rip it off.......
    Its normal for it to keep spinning, just insert key and then grip the sleeve and pull straight off, no need to turn the key.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Give it half a tin of WD40, have a cupper and then try again.
      Mine was the same just stuck a bit.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Andy W
        Give it half a tin of WD40, have a cupper and then try again.
        Mine was the same just stuck a bit.

Andy
        Failing that a hammer and chisel usually does the job.
        Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paulh
          Failing that a hammer and chisel usually does the job.
          Or hammer a cheap 19mm socket onto the bl**dy thing!

Nevillef

Comment

My ignition key went in and as said it kept turning but that seems normal. Just pull it off.

Ant
            1996 SSR-G 3.0 TD Intercooler
            Mazda Rotaries too!

Comment

Thanks for the help - half a tin of WD40 and a large set of pliers and it came off.

Cheers guys.

Comment

Working...
              X