Fuel Cat - Phillip / TonyN....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Cat - Phillip / TonyN....

Hey chaps, done alot of reading on your fuel cats and must say I'm quite interested in one for my beast....

As i'm soon to be switching to veg oil...what further mods are required for winter ? did you get those 30l tanks sorted ?

comparing the kits for veg oil that retail at 550 - 950 gbp the cat seems a good budget option to me.

how have yours been going recently - any new revelations ? seen one on ebay but want to ask here first ....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW

Regds.

Ron.
    Nili secundum desperandum

Hi Ron

The one on ebay is one of Philips, and thats what Tony would fit/supply too.

The heated fuel cat I've been running on the Bullet for the last few months (I run veggie too) has made a significant difference to fuel consumption. I now get between 30 and 50 extra miles per tank. That applies to running on diesel as well as veg, or a mix. It also runs much smoother on the veg (as it thins it when heating it.

To run 100% veg all year you will probably need a dual tank system as you will need to start/stop on diesel (otherwise any veg left in the system overnight becomes thick and you will have starting probs). Not sure where Philip has got to with the dual tank but I know he intended to have something available before the end of the summer.

I happily ran 50/50 all last winter with no problem, and that was before I had the cat fitted, but you'd need to research the subject thoroughly online and make that decision yourself.

No doubt Philip will be along soon with further updates!!

Originally posted by FlySurfer - Edy.
    Hey chaps, done alot of reading on your fuel cats and must say I'm quite interested in one for my beast....

As i'm soon to be switching to veg oil...what further mods are required for winter ? did you get those 30l tanks sorted ?

comparing the kits for veg oil that retail at 550 - 950 gbp the cat seems a good budget option to me.

how have yours been going recently - any new revelations ? seen one on ebay but want to ask here first ....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW

Regds.

Ron.
    Last edited by Linda; 21 July 2005, 11:50.
    Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Cheers Linda,

any info greatfully rec.d.

Its gona be a year round thing as this is one of the only ways to keep my surf when work moves to chorley...making a grand total of 400 extra miles per week.

At that rate - I'm hoping that the combination of Veggie and fuel cat makes a significant enough financial difference so that I can keep her on the road.

Waiting for Phillip....et.al.

Cheers again.

R.
      Nili secundum desperandum

Comment

Hi Linda does Tony fit the fuel cat aswel and if so how long does it take and what sort of price are we looking at all in, running on mix at the mo and would like to go down the 100% route...........
        if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

auxialary tanks

I expect Philip will pop up on here very soon but until then,I spoke to him at the Autoshow (Uxbridge) about this very subject and he has sourced some suitable second tanks (marine ones I believe) and also various heaters so would guess you would call this the development stage !
          Very tempting, but I would really like to go the single tank route, not sure I can trust myself with switching back to diesel in time with subsequent problems.

Comment

Originally posted by firefly
            Hi Linda does Tony fit the fuel cat aswel and if so how long does it take and what sort of price are we looking at all in, running on mix at the mo and would like to go down the 100% route...........
            sure does - takes about an hour.... will check and get a quote to you!!

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Veg oil and Fuel Cat

I have been running on 90-100 veg oil and done app 1500 miles without any problems at all. Cruises along at 90 mph on M/Way. Firstly my advice is do not buy from a company selling complete kits, with auto this and that, flashing lights etc, as buying parts seperately will save you a fortune. I have a 30 ltr tank in my office and two solenoids, but no swith yet, so haven't fitted. Also tank does not have breather, as its small boat tank. My suggestion would be, if spare goes on back door, go to breakers yard and buy a small tank to fit space. I am thinking of trying acetone as a thinner, in small amounts, to see if it works. See no reason why not with new veg oil as from what i understand, bio diesel has alcohol in it, to thin it. I also have 3 fuel line electric heaters to try, but none of this will help on initial start up in winter.
              Refering to advice about buying kits, that is purely a personal thought, as i am sure the kits are good, but would cost quarter price to buy seperately.
              Rgds Philip
              Still Searching,
              Dick Whittington

Comment

running on 100% with no diesel... how long does it take to heat the tank in the morning?... or do people always start off on diesel?

edit:
                hmmm... thinking it's an inline preheater?
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by Philip
                  I have been running on 90-100 veg oil and done app 1500 miles without any problems at all. Cruises along at 90 mph on M/Way. Firstly my advice is do not buy from a company selling complete kits, with auto this and that, flashing lights etc, as buying parts seperately will save you a fortune. I have a 30 ltr tank in my office and two solenoids, but no swith yet, so haven't fitted. Also tank does not have breather, as its small boat tank. My suggestion would be, if spare goes on back door, go to breakers yard and buy a small tank to fit space. I am thinking of trying acetone as a thinner, in small amounts, to see if it works. See no reason why not with new veg oil as from what i understand, bio diesel has alcohol in it, to thin it. I also have 3 fuel line electric heaters to try, but none of this will help on initial start up in winter.
                  Refering to advice about buying kits, that is purely a personal thought, as i am sure the kits are good, but would cost quarter price to buy seperately.
                  Rgds Philip
                  I notice with some veg in the car doesnt "judder" when you turn the engine off it just stops...
                  Need to speak to you sometime soon for some bits too Philip. Want me to tes anything...?
                  Tim
                  Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

At present have not been pre heating veg oil, but will have to do something pretty soon as tempreture already dropping in morning.The tank i have in my office is a 23ltr tank and does have a breather in the cap. It cost me £30 with fuel gauge, but believe you can not keep in back of car, by law, although not exactly sure. The 3 heaters i have not fitted, cost app £10 each of off Ebay. Two are in line and one goes around filter. Not fitted any yet. My number is 0208 896 9172 if anyone any ideas etc.
                    Rgds Philip
                    Still Searching,
                    Dick Whittington

Comment

put 20l of veg in a nearly empty tank today on a long trip...
                      ran fine untill i left it for 30mins or so, black smoke on startup and doesnt like to idle properly but runs fine otherwise...

what do you reckon on the heaters Phillip? Will they not drain the battery?
                      I cant use the fuelcat thing as i have no heater matrix in the car yet
                      Looking for ideas

Also it seemed to drink the veg compared to the diesel I guess this is cos its not heated, maybe not as bad as I thought but I think its going quicker.
                      Tim
                      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

The electric in line heaters have thermostat, so won't work all the time and so sure won't drain battery. Also one is of off a french car. I am surprised your mileage is less, i have not found this at all. Today filled up totally with veg oil and late tomorrow of to Northern Italy, so should get good idea on MPG or Kilometers per Litre, as we say sur le continent. Hope veg oil is cheaper in France and Italy. On my return will visit Tony to fit heater and see what to do about 2nd tank. As mentioned it was only £23.
                        Back on Thursday morning early, i hope.
                        Rgds Philip
                        Still Searching,
                        Dick Whittington

Comment

Working...
                        X