noisey shim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noisey shim

I have put a new head on my hilux 2.4td all the shim gaps are at the correct size but when i start the car i have one noisey shim after about 30 sec it stops i have changed the cam twice there is plenty of oil getting up there any ideas can anyone help me with this matter. many thanks jon

p.s the noise is doing my head in. my wife thinks i am in love with the car the amount of time i spend on it. she dont know this but i am.

jon..i put a new head with recon gear in it on my 2.4, started up and found a sewing machine had replaced the engine!!!..bad set up on replacement head. In frustration I too changed the cam, journals and shims on the setup but was left with 1 oversized gap on the inlet no. 2. Still ticky now but not nearly so much. If yours cuts noise after 30 secs why worry...sounds like oil starvation?? have you changed oil recently?

By the way did you see from threads on here you can change shims without taking off cam ...I have done it, needs 2 people and a lot of down pressure!

scuddy
    ------------------------------------
    Look out! Ee

Comment

One way to check oil starvation is to put a little more oil in the top of the engine and start it before it has time to drain out. If there is no noise then I would suggest a good flush with an engine flush and then refil again with a good semi synthetic Turbo diesel oil. Also just cos there is oil getting up doesn't neccessarily mean it is getting to all the right places.

Other thing is, was the head gasket the correct type, may have blocked an oilway.

Cheers

Comment

noisey shim

thanks for replying to me i have changed seven heads on these toyota's and would you beleave it my is the one with the noisey shim. I have changed the oil when i put the head on but going to change the oil again, what would stop the oil from getting to the shims i am lost on that, i have tryed most thing to sort this out it is know doing my head in. but i will try to take no notice of it. thanks all the best jon.

Comment

Working...
        X