intercoolers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intercoolers

hi. im a new member looking for a 3rd generation surf and was wondering what the benefits of an intercooled model has over the non intercooled model

Originally posted by larry28274
    hi. im a new member looking for a 3rd generation surf and was wondering what the benefits of an intercooled model has over the non intercooled model
    a little bit more power
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Th intercooler is an air-to-air heat exchanger that cools the air after turbocharging before it goes into the engine. This reduces the density and therefore more air gets into the engine. More air supports the burning of more fuel and increases the efficiency of the engine so as Bob says - you get more power.

As far as I know, the power of an intercooled 3.0ltr is 145bhp against 130bhp for the standard model. Torque is also increased.

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by exmee46
        Th intercooler is an air-to-air heat exchanger that cools the air after turbocharging before it goes into the engine. This reduces the density and therefore more air gets into the engine. More air supports the burning of more fuel and increases the efficiency of the engine so as Bob says - you get more power.

As far as I know, the power of an intercooled 3.0ltr is 145bhp against 130bhp for the standard model. Torque is also increased.

Kev
        anyone ever fitted an intercooler to a standard 3.0td and any ideas how much it might cost

Comment

anyone ever fitted an intercooler to a standard 3.0td and any ideas how much it might cost
          Just spotted my deliberate (not!!) mistake - intercooler INCREASES the air density Duh!!

A few people have fitted intercoolers to 2.4 but I havn't heard of a 3.0ltr. I'm sure there will be one somewhere - most likely in Oz!! Someone on the forum has a factory intercooled 3rd gen but I can't remember who.

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by exmee46
            Someone on the forum has a factory intercooled 3rd gen but I can't remember who.

Kev
            That'll be me

Comment

Damn - I thought it was me !!!!!

145 horses might explain why my caravan keeps trying to take off though .....

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Interwarmer

I had a Nissan Pulsar (import) which had the intercooler mounted over the engine as in the Surf and it was commonly known as an interwarmer, for serious power increases they were often moved to the front of the radiator to ensure cool air rather than air that had been warmed by the engine, but this is not particularly convenient on an off roader. This may explain why the power increase is relatively modest, though they do have a vent in the bonnet (easiest way to recognise them I without opening the bonnet) to allow cool air in it is still not a particularly brilliant place to mount it.

Comment

Working...
                X