Urgent Suspension Advice Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent Suspension Advice Needed

im currently fitting my 2" suspension kit have managed to get the rear springs in and starting on the rear shocks but cannot undo the top nut as shock just spins round any ideas? or am i just being thick due to the hot weather im desparate as need truck later on cheers

Originally posted by jedi
    im currently fitting my 2" suspension kit have managed to get the rear springs in and starting on the rear shocks but cannot undo the top nut as shock just spins round any ideas? or am i just being thick due to the hot weather im desparate as need truck later on cheers
    If you're replacing the fitted shocks with new ones then there's no harm in getting a hefty set of Mole grips locked onto the piston rod to stop them spinning.

Nevillef

Comment

If you can, you need to use a small spanner on the top of the shock shaft, while you undo the shock mounting nut.
      this make sense? if not I'll scan the diagram from my manual.

Comment

not 100% sure about rear shocks on a surf, this assumes they're as the front. 1st are you re-using the shocks? if so you need to be more careful! there should be some small "flats" on the top of the shock strut which you need to grip to to the strut spinning, its designed to be held with a far to small spanner! you may need a good size pair of mole grips! be careful with the threads on the top of the strut. if all else fails and you don't need the shocks angle grinders are very handy.
        Diesel, like petrol only better

Comment

Toy adjustable shocks have a decent sized flat on each side of the bolt to get hold of. Procomp or similar, unless only a year or so old are a bitch to get undone if not installed with copperslip, sometimes even with! I normally grip the bit where the top of the shock boot clips over, or drill through the nut to split it off.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Are you still there???? I'm bored and want to look at your truck
            3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

when chunkymonkey and i did ours we had the same problem, and there were 2 methods of stopping the bottom spinning.
              Method 1 was for one of us to hold it as tight as possible and for the other one to undo the botl, but on chunkymonkeys there was soo much rust that we could not stop it spinning so:
              Method 2 was adopted where by you drill a hole through the cover and stil a screw driver through which is very easy to hold.
              method 2 would work with mole grips also!!!!
              Good luck

Comment

on my Ranchos you have to use a 6mm or 8mm spanner on the top to hold it then you can undo the securing nuts.
                Good luck piccies piccies piccies
                Tim
                Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

tried to grip the shock as i was turning nut and with a little force the whole thing snapped off ooops never mind good job im not reusing them just finished back end its took me all day looks mint but im shagged and lost 2 stone in sweat just gotta tackle front end and steering damper tomorrow now thanks for ideas may need you all again tomorrow cheers

Comment

see ..
                    Diesel, like petrol only better

Comment

Originally posted by jedi
                      tried to grip the shock as i was turning nut and with a little force the whole thing snapped off ooops never mind good job im not reusing them just finished back end its took me all day looks mint but im shagged and lost 2 stone in sweat just gotta tackle front end and steering damper tomorrow now thanks for ideas may need you all again tomorrow cheers

The front end should be a lot easier, probably get it done b4 lunch then you can spend the rest of the day grinning at the truck.

I should get my lift finnished on Saturday, only got the tortion bars to adjust now and then were away !

Andy.

Comment

Working...
                      X