More mpg= acetone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More mpg= acetone

Found this yesterday http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/po...tm?f=2&t=33064 ,so havent been able to get some acetone and try it yet but what do you think? i`m going to look for some at the weekend as i`m changing all the filters and oil so i can start with a clean sheet as it were.
    ray

how you going to stop it evapourating?
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

I don't think it will work in diesel.
      Diesel engines 'squash' the fuel rather than ignite it with a spark!

Comment

Originally posted by ssray
        Found this yesterday http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/po...tm?f=2&t=33064 ,so havent been able to get some acetone and try it yet but what do you think? i`m going to look for some at the weekend as i`m changing all the filters and oil so i can start with a clean sheet as it were.
        ray
        Err Acetone is a very agressive solvent and will attack most plastics and rubbers. Sounds like a good way of wrecking every seal in your fuel system!

Comment

Veg oil

I wonder how a little acetone would work with Veg Oil? Might or might not solve a few problems with viscosity when it gets colder.
          Rgds Philip
          Still Searching,
          Dick Whittington

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            I don't think it will work in diesel.
            Diesel engines 'squash' the fuel rather than ignite it with a spark!
            Actually, diesel engines squash the air - thereby heating it - which causes the atomised fuel to spontaneously combust when injected. Acetone is nasty stuff though - not really for amateur handling - then there is the question of fuel duty of course ....

If you go looking openly for unusual highly volatile and combustible agents you may find yourself attracting the attention of the authorities these days.

Kev
            Last edited by exmee46; 14 July 2005, 00:11.

Comment

Hmmm looks interesting... says it works in diesel and petrol... so who is going to have the balls to give it a go!?

Comment

Originally posted by ssray
                ray
                Actually, there was a program on telly about Veggie deisel some months or even a year or so ago.

This boffin was telliing the world that this tiny sdample of a material unnamed will make a 50 odd liter tank of veggie oil become viscous like diesel. therefore he was advocating its use in this application - it was a how its done article.

I dont know what the liquid he put in was called. perhaps it was Acetone...as the article on honestjohns reccomends 110 ml for a 70 l tank it has the same signature as this TV liquid.

just a thought...

R
                Nili secundum desperandum

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
                  Err Acetone is a very agressive solvent and will attack most plastics and rubbers. Sounds like a good way of wrecking every seal in your fuel system!
                  TOTALLY agree with what you say we have a 2003 Reno Clio Diesel engine that is totally nackered because he had been running on "Acetone", Dont know what his mixture was after emtying his tank the fumes gave us the impression of well over a 50/50 mixture. lt even done the fuel lines in.
                  Live Life To The Full

Comment

Yeah at that kinda concentration I'm not surprised.

50ml for 50 l - I would take the risk of trying it. but would preffer to rely on fact...

Used to do org chem at uni.....no help here except for concentration effect ...

And I have some at home.....
                    Nili secundum desperandum

Comment

Originally posted by exmee46
                      Actually, diesel engines squash the air - thereby heating it - which causes the atomised fuel to spontaneously combust when injected.
                      bit A about F... the fuel is injected before the compression stroke (on induction stroke).
                      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Acetone

I will try to test small amount, but will do it in veg oil bottle first to see if veg thins or bottle dissolves. Maybe try today.
                        Rgds to all Philip

UXbridge Show on Sunday, its really good car show, with good atmosphere etc, worth a visit and its for charity.
                        Still Searching,
                        Dick Whittington

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                          bit A about F... the fuel is injected before the compression stroke (on induction stroke).
                          Actually exmee is correct, whilst petrol engines compress the fuel/air mixture and then ignite it using the spark plug, diesel (or compression ignition) engines compress air only, fuel is then injected at high pressure which then ignites on contact with the air already heated by compression.
                          Maurice
                          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Working...
                          X