Removing Residue from Wind Deflectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Residue from Wind Deflectors

Hi all, I took collection of a beautiful '94 Surf from CCB last week and am trying to "de-cheese" it. As part for the process I plan to remove the wind deflectors from above the windows. I had a look over the weekend but found that they are held in place by both screw type clips and some kind of adhesive.

Now removing the clips is no problem, and I can pull the deflectors away from the door. The problem is I'm not sure how to remove the sticky residue from the paint underneath them. Can anyone recommend any solvents / techniques to do this cleanly?

Thanks...

PS - will try and get some pics of my Surf up when I get my digi cam back!
    [IMG]http://www.slate8.com/hiluxstuff/hilux-sig.gif[/IMG]

Yeah - I changed my mind when I found that. I think its some sort of silicon stuff. I kept mine on.

Kev

Comment

Ho hum, well I really don't like the look of them so am going to have to try and get rid of this stuff.

Will grease up my elbows in preparation for the weekend!

Comment

Try upvc solvent cleaner, it worked for me when I had some sticky marks left on my roof from where the pads for the roof bars were.

Andy.

Ps Do you want to sell the deflectors afterwards ? I'm desperatly after the drivers side front one.

Comment

Originally posted by bobafatass
          Try upvc solvent cleaner, it worked for me when I had some sticky marks left on my roof from where the pads for the roof bars were.

Andy.

Ps Do you want to sell the deflectors afterwards ? I'm desperatly after the drivers side front one.
          Thanks for the tip! Yeah, I'll be selling them after assuming they come off without damage... I'll have to think about whether to sell them individually or not...

Comment

Originally posted by Slate8
            Thanks for the tip! Yeah, I'll be selling them after assuming they come off without damage... I'll have to think about whether to sell them individually or not...
            No probs, I'll have the lot, if you want to flog them.

Andy.

Comment

I used nail polish remover, No problems at all........ Its amazing the stuff it will shift without damaging paints / finishes etc.
              [COLOR=DarkOrange]Dont Peck SH$T with the Chickens when you can Fly with the Eagles[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Slate8
                Hi all, I took collection of a beautiful '94 Surf from CCB last week and am trying to "de-cheese" it. As part for the process I plan to remove the wind deflectors from above the windows. I had a look over the weekend but found that they are held in place by both screw type clips and some kind of adhesive.

Now removing the clips is no problem, and I can pull the deflectors away from the door. The problem is I'm not sure how to remove the sticky residue from the paint underneath them. Can anyone recommend any solvents / techniques to do this cleanly?

Thanks...

PS - will try and get some pics of my Surf up when I get my digi cam back!
                try using autoglym product called tar and glue remover, great stuff

Comment

Working...
                X