Land Cruiser In The Ditch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Land Cruiser In The Ditch

Walking home on Sunday morning (at 8am, 6 miles to go) after a BIG night out on Saturday, came accross a Land Cruiser LWB commercial, nose in the ditch, @rse in the air.

The occupants had been pulled out by non-first-aid trained people, but thankfully no-one was dead or crippled.

There was one man with a broken pelvis, another with a possible spinal injury - both of these were lying on their backs on the grass with no blankets/coats (despite 4 or 5 guys walking round with jackets on). There was another girl sitting in a passer-by's car - head injury, but not serious.

I've done lots of first aid courses and won team competitions in my youth (Red Cross for 5 years), and despite being perceived as nerdy in school for it, I'v always been proud that I've bothered to learn how to help people, which is what I did here - sent people back up to the event venue to get water for the casualties, pretty much demanded that anyone with jackets donate them, talked with each of the casualties and kept them comfortable & informed as to how their freinds were doing, kept a watch on their conditions and tried to get some idea of what happened (it was fairly obvious - 8am Sunday, 1/2 mile from a Biker Rally . . .)

The ambulance arrived and I started to give them some details, in which they seemed quite disinterested. When I told one of the crew that there was a girl in the back seat of the bystander's car (they'd been there maybe 2 minutes and hadn't spotted her), and that she had a head injury but that neither pupil was dilated, he said sarcastically, "are you a doctor?". I said no, first aid and walked away.

God bless the work these guys do, but do they have to be pr1cks?

Mark
    :

Originally posted by silvtr1000
    Walking home on Sunday morning (at 8am, 6 miles to go) after a BIG night out on Saturday, came accross a Land Cruiser LWB commercial, nose in the ditch, @rse in the air.

The occupants had been pulled out by non-first-aid trained people, but thankfully no-one was dead or crippled.

There was one man with a broken pelvis, another with a possible spinal injury - both of these were lying on their backs on the grass with no blankets/coats (despite 4 or 5 guys walking round with jackets on). There was another girl sitting in a passer-by's car - head injury, but not serious.

I've done lots of first aid courses and won team competitions in my youth (Red Cross for 5 years), and despite being perceived as nerdy in school for it, I'v always been proud that I've bothered to learn how to help people, which is what I did here - sent people back up to the event venue to get water for the casualties, pretty much demanded that anyone with jackets donate them, talked with each of the casualties and kept them comfortable & informed as to how their freinds were doing, kept a watch on their conditions and tried to get some idea of what happened (it was fairly obvious - 8am Sunday, 1/2 mile from a Biker Rally . . .)

The ambulance arrived and I started to give them some details, in which they seemed quite disinterested. When I told one of the crew that there was a girl in the back seat of the bystander's car (they'd been there maybe 2 minutes and hadn't spotted her), and that she had a head injury but that neither pupil was dilated, he said sarcastically, "are you a doctor?". I said no, first aid and walked away.

God bless the work these guys do, but do they have to be pr1cks?

Mark

get them in all walks of life m8, but big to you for helping out, ya nerd

ship

Comment

What about the Land Cruiser.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        What about the Land Cruiser.
        I'll have the diff
        Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

Fair play too you shame about the poor response from the ambulance crew
          Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Mark.
            Well done M8
            I strongly believe that everyone should have some kind of 1st aid training as incidents like this one show... the people on scene obviously didn't have any training or even a basic clue, the coats being an example!!
            Sorry you had such a sh1t experience with the ambulance crew. This is'nt meant as justification for their actions or attitude but I have no doubt that they have encountered quite a few people at the scene of accidents who have made all sorts of wild claims as to their knowledge i.e I'm a doctor, and neglect to mention that they are actually a doctor of some arts based subject! It certainly does'nt justify sarcasm towards you and, unsurprisingly, most complaints against crews are about attitude .
            The crew were very wrong to brush you off as you were the first person on scene with any kind of 1st aid knowledge and taking a few seconds to listen to you could make all the difference.It is part of ambulance basic training that they gain a history of the events from those on scene, if you feel strongly enough I suggest that you complain to the service who should explain to the crew the error of their ways.
            Yet again, well done M8, don't let these pr1cks put you off, they really p1ss of the vast majority of excellent crews and really don't make our job any easier
            Keef (srp)
            A positive attitude wont solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort!

Comment

Well done, in me doorman duties i had to threaten the husband of a woman that colapsed into putting his coat on her as it was winter time......
              3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

Wouldn't dream of reporting anyone in that type of work - it's poxy demanding work and no-one needs a little whinge like that to be bothering with. I know they get all sorts of folk trying to help, some bogey and some useful, so they're not obliged to be nice to anyone but the casualties (actually, sometimes they can be @rseholes too).

I think my reaction to his sarcasm might play on his mind - he knows he was sarcastic, and I just walked away.

I still respect what these guys do.

Anyway, I reckon I could have got into the Cruiser and reversed it out. It would have been fun to try, anyway . . .

Mark
                :

Comment

Mark
                  I work in a community alarm Control centre.... we attend emergencies as first aiders and keyholders. There is always one rsole.... but 99.9999% of the crews that I come into contact with are glad of any info that will help.
                  Chin up you did good.

Comment

Working...
                  X