Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veg oil as additive (samll ammts)

Hey all,
    I think I've chased most (alot!) of the veg oil threads here.

Unfortunately, here in Canada even Costco bulk veg oil is more expensive than deisel (probably because you subsidize your farmers and not your oil, and we subsidize our oil and not our farmers?)

Does anyone have any info or thoughts about using a smaller amount of veg oil (say a litre or two per tank) as an additive - for some lubrication and cleaning? Many auto stores sell petrochemical concentrates, cleaners, lubricants, etc to add to deisel for all kinds of claimed benefits - would simple veg oil do some of this for me, or would it be silly?

Thanks,
    Keegan

I dont know about veg oil as an additive, but I was interested in your remark about the cost of diesel and veg oil in Canada. Veg oil here in the UK is around 43p / litre, which equates to roughly $1 Canadian. Diesel is around 90p/ltr, just over $2 Canadian per litre. How does this compare with prices in Canada?

Pete

Comment

Keegan,

Veg Oil will act as a lubricant, however be aware it may draw up the crud from the bottom of your tank, have a new fuel filter ready

Trev
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Pete...

I don't recall exactly, but the cheapest bulk veg oil i found was CDN $1.12/L (50p or so), while deisel fluctuates $.77 -.85 (34p or so?) (which we think is too high!)

Trev... got 2 of them!

keegan

Comment

Originally posted by mrkeeg
          Pete...

I don't recall exactly, but the cheapest bulk veg oil i found was CDN $1.12/L (50p or so), while deisel fluctuates $.77 -.85 (34p or so?) (which we think is too high!)

Trev... got 2 of them!

keegan
          Assuming you get USLD (Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel) in Canada the addition of small amounts of veg’ oil will be beneficial as it will improve the lubricity of your fuel. Using straight veg’ oil doesn’t generally have the purgative effect that bio diesel does because bio usually contains some residual methanol. Beware whatever they put in your diesel in winter to keep it flowing may not get on with the veg’ oil so I’d use it in summer months only.

Comment

natuarl additives

Originally posted by mrkeeg
            Hey all,
            I think I've chased most (alot!) of the veg oil threads here.

Unfortunately, here in Canada even Costco bulk veg oil is more expensive than deisel (probably because you subsidize your farmers and not your oil, and we subsidize our oil and not our farmers?)

Does anyone have any info or thoughts about using a smaller amount of veg oil (say a litre or two per tank) as an additive - for some lubrication and cleaning? Many auto stores sell petrochemical concentrates, cleaners, lubricants, etc to add to deisel for all kinds of claimed benefits - would simple veg oil do some of this for me, or would it be silly?

Thanks,
            Keegan

Hey Keegan, i think there is a grain oil based additive out called "Pathfinder" or something like that. My dad bought a bunch for his dodge diesel at an agriculture trade show in Manitoba. might be worth a look...where abouts you located?
            :

Comment

Hey Drock, thanks for the note.

I'm in Alberta... you?

As you know.. diesel has been getting pricier, and has even flirted with the $1 mark since this thread started... ALMOST approaching raw veg oil...

Keegan

Comment

Working...
              X