Underslung spare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underslung spare

Got a prob with 'Old saggy bum' (the Runner , not Tam this time) . I can not get the underslung spare down . The mechanism seems to be rusted solid . Now I could oxy/acetelene it off or grind it off , but has anyone else had this prob with an easy answer to save the spare falling on me with either a cutting torch or angle grinder in my hand .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Spray it with WD40 or similar, have enougth drink to last the night, go back to it tomorrow and try again, after tapping tyre centre with hammer.
    This worked for me, I don't what good hittting it with a hammer did for the vehicle, but it sure made me feel better. Tony has his angle grinder, I just don't feel I've done a job properly unless the hammers been used at least once.
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Mine was really tight, we have a chain Rick, not cable like the newer boys, and the links were jammed together and rusty. A good dose of WD40 in every available orifice sorted mine, then I oiled the chain once it was down a little, then kept winding it up and down till its nice.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        Mine was really tight, we have a chain Rick, not cable like the newer boys, and the links were jammed together and rusty. A good dose of WD40 in every available orifice sorted mine, then I oiled the chain once it was down a little, then kept winding it up and down till its nice.

This one ain't been down for years ! I think thats why I have 2 spares .

Comment

WD40 v Grinder

Grinder wins . Had to grind the centre weld off the spare wheel carrier and let it drop the spare and carrier on to me . I then removed the 4 mount bolts which were rusted in .
          What a piece of cr*p that carrier thing is . After putting it in the vice and belting 2 tonnes of rust out of it it now turns .
          I put the spring in the vice and lock wired it closed so I can weld the centre pin and carrier bracket back on and then release the spring tension .
          All I need now is a jack and handle ......anyone ?

Comment

[QUOTE=Vagrant No2]Grinder wins . Had to grind the centre weld off the spare wheel carrier and let it drop the spare and carrier on to me . I then removed the 4 mount bolts which were rusted in .
            What a piece of cr*p that carrier thing is . After putting it in the vice and belting 2 tonnes of rust out of it it now turns .
            I put the spring in the vice and lock wired it closed so I can weld the centre pin and carrier bracket back on and then release the spring tension .
            All I need now is a jack and handle ......anyone ?[/QUOTE]

I got one but you cant have it.
            If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Working...
            X