An emerging nations answer to biodiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An emerging nations answer to biodiesel

I have been following the discussions over the weeks regarding veggie oil, and the many obstacles placed in the way by your government. There is a very interesting story in this mornings Bangkok Post buisness section, www.bangkokpost.com. The jist of it is the Thai government plans to develop 85 commercial bio-diesel production plants nationwide, by 2012.
    The product used will be palm-oil,and the mix will be 5% palm to 95% diesel.
    Even at this modest mix it is estimated that this will reduce the countries petroleum import by at least 100 billion Baht per year (73Baht to the £) Interestingly enough, I was in the local supermarket this morning and veggie oil here is still more expensive than a litre of diesel. Cheapest brand 24 Baht, diesel just gone up again this morning to 20.11Baht per litre!!!

Originally posted by Brit in Thailand
    I have been following the discussions over the weeks regarding veggie oil, and the many obstacles placed in the way by your government. There is a very interesting story in this mornings Bangkok Post buisness section, www.bangkokpost.com. The jist of it is the Thai government plans to develop 85 commercial bio-diesel production plants nationwide, by 2012.
    The product used will be palm-oil,and the mix will be 5% palm to 95% diesel.
    Even at this modest mix it is estimated that this will reduce the countries petroleum import by at least 100 billion Baht per year (73Baht to the £) Interestingly enough, I was in the local supermarket this morning and veggie oil here is still more expensive than a litre of diesel. Cheapest brand 24 Baht, diesel just gone up again this morning to 20.11Baht per litre!!!
    BAHT HUMBUG so your trapped both ways at the mo
    Enjoying Life after Cancer
    Pops

Comment

Positive Progress

Am pleased to hear that they're taking a step in the right direction. Also shows that even though the veg oil / palm oil is more expensive to buy than diesel, that the government there recognise the value in starting to move away from reliance on fossil fuels.

Thanks for letting us know. I may pass this info on to my local MP. He's already passed my last letter to him on to the Finance Minister. One would hope that eventually they'd see sense!

Incidentally, over here Shell are starting to make a range of veg oil based lubricants. Apparently, they're more effective than those derived from crude oil and obviously are better for the environment.

Kind Regards,

Rob
      Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

I'm pleased to hear that forward looking countries are taking this on board.
        My local MP has contacted the Paymaster General, who is responsible for setting the level of duty, about mine and other constituents concerns. He says I should have another letter from the House Of Commons soon.
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Just faxed a letter to my MP using www.writetothem.com. Lets see what happens.
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

Working...
          X