putting a center diff on a 2nd gen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• putting a center diff on a 2nd gen?

How hard would it be and how much would it cost to put a center diff on a 2nd gen?

i am guessing it means the drivehaft has to be swapped over and maybee some mount points making but not sure really...

I'm no expert, but my guess is it would cost a lot, and would be blo**y difficult!!

Why not get a 3rd gen, if a centre diff is that important?
    It just does, OK?

Comment

Its more than just driveshafts, you'll also need to change the transfer box. One from a landcruiser would probably be easiest to find and fit, but its certainly not a simple job, would require much research, measuring and quite a bit of time.
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

i cant afford a 3rd gen and think they look ugly compaired to 2nd gens thats why :P

Comment

Originally posted by Ste00
          i cant afford a 3rd gen and think they look ugly compaired to 2nd gens thats why :P

Cheapest option is to drive around in 2WD most of the time!!!
          It just does, OK?

Comment

slips too much coming out of junctions in the wet tho...

Comment

Originally posted by Ste00
              slips too much coming out of junctions in the wet tho...
              How often do you go offroad ?

If you don't or seldom go may I suggest getting a set of BFG Tarmacadams for the beast, I have them and she remains glued to the road.

Trev
              Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Have you got an LSD? If not, maybe get a back axle of a 4Runner? Mine has stonking traction, as I'm reminded every time I drive a mate's Ford double cab pickup

Comment

Originally posted by NeillOP
                  Have you got an LSD? If not, maybe get a back axle of a 4Runner? Mine has stonking traction, as I'm reminded every time I drive a mate's Ford double cab pickup
                  Not a good idea, if he's having trouble with a heavy right foot, it'll let go more with a LSD on corners than an open diff. An open diff will have one wheel not spinning, helping to stop the truck sliding sideways, with a LSD, both wheels will want to spin, leading to lots of sideways action out of junctions.

Ste00 either needs new tyres, or less go pedal.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

it could be my tires... they are bfg at's but they are cracked...

dont think its heavy rite foot as i nearly had a merc a class in the side of me the other week the surf just sat there watever position the throttle was in....

oh and i am not bothered about going sideways lol... i am in the process of setting up a drift team with my 200sx

Comment

http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/pub...ead.php?t=1629
                      mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Interesting thing about that thread, Elvz's saying about the prado stuff, I thought they were the same floor plan as a 3rd gen Surf, but 3rd gen Surfs has the front prop on the other side of the car to a 2nd gen.
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                        X