No announcement yet.

4x4s you have loved or hated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"is perfect length for sleeping in " you need to get a camper pack, I saw one on e-bay but I got outbid, I only wanted it for curiosity sake.
    Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Originally posted by TJG
      Pajero – This aint gonna be popular, but this has to be the best car I ever owned. It was brilliant. THE most comfortable car to sit in ever, very relaxing drive but it was soooooo slooooooow. I did best part of 100,000 miles in mine for the cost of brakes, tyres and cambelt.
      Ain't all shogun/pajero have chain instead of belt? Been told (tried to be sold) a pajero on the fact that no belt to change.

Only even driven one other 4x4, it was a Daewoo Muzzo, it was a 2.9td Merc sprinter engine, slow in comparison and very wobbly, but it has lots of room.

Comment

Originally posted by Newboy
        Ain't all shogun/pajero have chain instead of belt? Been told (tried to be sold) a pajero on the fact that no belt to change.

Only even driven one other 4x4, it was a Daewoo Muzzo, it was a 2.9td Merc sprinter engine, slow in comparison and very wobbly, but it has lots of room.

Both. 2.8s are chain, 2.5s belt. 2.8 was supposed to be sackloads better.
        Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Originally posted by TJG
          "is perfect length for sleeping in " .
          I tried to sleep in the 4Runner at the Norfolk show . If I wasn't 6'4'' it may have been OK . Had bad cramps in legs most of next day .
          May try sleeping with tailgate down next time (weather permitting)
          Last edited by Vagrant No2; 17 June 2005, 08:03.
          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

1st 4x4 was a Ssangyong Musso 2.9 td, which I must admit I was a great drive, very easy and so comfortable even on 300 mile trips, and the old merc 5 potter was plenty powerful in the turbo'd form. Had mine from new in 98 for 3 yrs and some months and clocked up over 112 thou miles. Serviced every 6 thou at the dealers and no expence spared. Now for the scarey bits, head blew at 104 thou miles and it was cheaper to put a 2nd hand compleat engine (with turbo etc) from a rolled over 35thou unit in, than sort the head and a new gasket set(alone over £800) and the gearbox was on its last legs when it went (pops out of 2nd and wouldnt hold reverse), and as it was over 3 yrs and well over 60 thou miles, guess who had to stump up the engine cost, bl**dy Deawoo wouldnt.
            Do I regret buying it? Not for a moment, bit miffed about the end costs but by god, I ragged that car country wide on the motorway, fully loaded, day in, day out. So cant realy complain.

The other half has a discovery 2.5 td 300 series, but wont bring it off road when I go (not a clue why). The usual thing with a dizy, bits always going wrong but is cheap to fix on the whole, damned good on mpg even if it does take almost £80 to fill up from empty, but then again it will be good on juice as it is tottaly gutless.

Fish
            If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
              I tried to sleep in the 4Runner at the Norfolk show . If I wasn't 6'4'' it may have been OK . Had bad cramps in legs most of next day .
              May try sleeping with tailgate down next time (weather permitting)
              its a perfect sleeping size for me at 5'5" and since my fella is 5'4" we can both get in there no probs. ( as long as I leave surf boards and canoe on the roof and not inside) not recommended for anyone over 5'7".

my jeep was tiny and only big enough for a snooze rather than proper sleep. plus with no roof on most of the time it was a wee bit damp and drafty.
              she's no angel

Comment

Only had 2 4x4's, first was a little Suzi, it was great for bombing around town in and a little offroading, used to be able to stap my surfboard onto it an head off down the beach, I got it after driving around Cyprus in one in the early 90's.
                Second 4x4 is the current Surf, best motor I have ever owned, it's old but has never let me down, I love it.

2nd best car I ever owned was a Audi 80 sport, it had been tuned to the max by the previous owner and went like $h1t off a shovel !

Andy.

Comment

This is what I did with my shogie, stuck it in the back garden ready for off road rolling, only because I don't want to scratch my smurf!

PS, the BMW X4? (or is it the X5?) is fine, but once you have pressed all the buttons, the fun wears off!
                  Don't like them, too big and heavy.
                  Attached Files
                  Back in the world of Surfdom

Comment

Ist 4x4 I ever owned was a 1987(E) Suzuki SJ410,which was a fantastic little motor,very reliable and extremely capable off road.Owned it for just over 8 years,never let me down once,one of the best motors I have ever owned.
                    2nd 4x4 was a 1992 Izuzu Trooper 2.8TD SWB,in contrast this is probably one of the WORST motors I have owned(along with a Fiat Mirafiori)something went wrong with this car every single month that I owned it,it cost me an absolute fortune in repair bills,I had to trade it in before the it was paid up to cut my losses.Traded it in for my current 4x4 which is a Toyota Hilux Surf(3rd gen)1996 3.0Ltr TD,this is without a shadow of a doubt the BEST car I have ever owned,perfect in every way(apart from running costs),I have very reluctantly put it up for sale on this site,the reasons are purely financial(and due to lack of full time work at the moment).This car is ideal for work and as a large family SUV.The only car I would chose over this one is the New 2004 Surf(as seen on pimp my ride)or the new Landcruiser.