my quest continues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my quest continues...

Hey all, I’m still looking for my Hilux....
    Just wondered a couple of things.
    1. How easy/difficult is it to fit a rear mount for the spare on a hilux with an under stowed spare. I might end up with 1 and I’ll NEED to change this.
    2. How hard is it to come by a recaro interior, coz I really like this apposed to the plain interior.
    3. Does the ‘thin’ body have a thinner wheelbase. Or is it the same width, and I can just add the wheel arches to turn it into a wide body.
    cheers.
    Jay.

swapping the spare carrier is a bit more involved than it looks...(and everybody seems to want one..
    if its ssg spec, it should have recarros also an option on other models
    and i believe a narrow body (like mine) is just missing add on arches, mudflaps.end for bumpers

all in all much easier to get the right one in the first place!!
    try a search, lots more detail already here somewhere..
    good hunting!
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
      swapping the spare carrier is a bit more involved than it
      if its ssg spec, it should have recarros also an option on other models

good hunting!

Don't think recarros are standard on the 3rd gen ssr-g ..... (but they're too low for me anyway - Stumpy Bob !)

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Nice one... And yes I’ve just found the search to be very good here. I found out about the rear pillar being reinforced and stuff.
        I’ve seen quite a few now… I must have 70 in my watch list. Some old coz u gotta keep tabs on if they come back on cheaper.
        It seems to me that people aren’t willing to pay, and a lot of reserves are not met.
        AAhhhh u see. I didn't know Recaro's were any lower & i think i'd have a problem with that too.
        Ya learn summut new on here every minute!
        Jay
        Last edited by Jay; 12 June 2005, 20:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
          1. How easy/difficult is it to fit a rear mount for the spare on a hilux with an under stowed spare. I might end up with 1 and I’ll NEED to change this.
          Jay.

Just wondering, but why will you NEED to change this???
          It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
            Just wondering, but why will you NEED to change this???
            It’s just my own personal preference really. I’d never mean to offend anyone with the other back end…but I think it looks awful without the wheel on the back. Sorry, don’t like red ones either
            But it still is the most stunning vehicle though.
            Jay

Comment

i take it you are lokking on pike e-bay for one then?
              careful, if i had a wrong un thats where it would be.....
              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
                It’s just my own personal preference really. I’d never mean to offend anyone with the other back end…but I think it looks awful without the wheel on the back. Sorry, don’t like red ones either
                But it still is the most stunning vehicle though.
                Jay
                From what I gather the door mounted spare may look good but is otherwise a pain in the ass to live with. If you're like me and constantly throwing gear in out of the the boot then an underslung spare is the way forward. Only trouble is I've got a bit of engineering work to do so I can fit a 33" tyre under there! I need to formaly re-route the exhaust (did it informaly during an offroad reversing manouvre!) and move the guides out.

Nevillef

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock@work
                  From what I gather the door mounted spare may look good but is otherwise a pain in the ass to live with. If you're like me and constantly throwing gear in out of the the boot then an underslung spare is the way forward. Only trouble is I've got a bit of engineering work to do so I can fit a 33" tyre under there! I need to formaly re-route the exhaust (did it informaly during an offroad reversing manouvre!) and move the guides out.

Nevillef
                  My thoughts entirely... I want to swap my rear mount spare wheel gubbins for an underslung unit so i can fit my mountain bikes on a ball hitch carrier. Not able to do this without the wheel moving underneath and I prefer a cleaner looking car anyway (don't much like the fussy window rain deflectors either - they're coming off this week).

Any ideas on how easy they are to swap over??? And can you do a straight swap (mines an SSRG 1995 btw)...

If its a straight swap involved, I'll be interested in a swap within 30-40miles of Bristol.

I have to recommend the Recaro seats - much more comfy (even if lower) - plus the look the nuts

Whats wrong with red?!

Comment

I just really like the wheel on the back…I’m also all up for raising it up 2 or 3 inches, looks the business.
                    As for the swap thing, from what I’ve learned U'LL be ok but it’s a nightmare to put a rear mount on coz the pillar on yours is strengthened.

Bad news about your exhaust though Nev
                    Yeah I’m looking on eBay and I’m being very weary and really I would like a fresh import…
                    A 3litre black or blue with the wheel on the back recaro seats (I might have to get a welder mate to take them out and try and raise them too) pref already with the snazzy suspension lift and the 32mm spacers all for 5quid less than I can afford, but then I might wake up and have me cornflakes before I get hit be a meteorite or abducted by aliens.
                    We can all wish but u gotta look in-case it’s really there.
                    Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
                      I just really like the wheel on the back…I’m also all up for raising it up 2 or 3 inches, looks the business.
                      As for the swap thing, from what I’ve learned U'LL be ok but it’s a nightmare to put a rear mount on coz the pillar on yours is strengthened.

Bad news about your exhaust though Nev
                      Yeah I’m looking on eBay and I’m being very weary and really I would like a fresh import…
                      A 3litre black or blue with the wheel on the back recaro seats (I might have to get a welder mate to take them out and try and raise them too) pref already with the snazzy suspension lift and the 32mm spacers all for 5quid less than I can afford, but then I might wake up and have me cornflakes before I get hit be a meteorite or abducted by aliens.
                      We can all wish but u gotta look in-case it’s really there.
                      Jay
                      OOooo i want bells and whistles too

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
                        OOooo i want bells and whistles too
                        What you need then is a 3.0L SSR-G (1993-94). I believe one guy on this forum picked up one for as little as £3,500 recently (private sale). They are out there so keep looking!

Comment

Working...
                        X