Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• am I being fobbed off?

Hey people,

Im still fairly new on here, I bought my Surf 2 months ago, drove to france, had a superb trip in the first week of owning it, but then it developed a water leak.
    So I took it back to the garage I bought it from, they couldnt find anything other than a couple of hoses that "looked like they had wet joints" so I was told. I collected the surf, headed off to Newquay where it very nearly overheated again so I checked the water level, sure enough I had to top it back up with nearly a litre. ( same as before except this time it took 4 hours driving rather than 1 hour to lose the same amount of water)

So I took it back to the garage and they say they cant find anything wrong. the did a pressure test on the water system over night and said there was no loss in pressure...

I have a niggling suspision that it may be the head and the first signs thats its on its way out... or it could be something so bloomin obvious like a rad cap leaking slowly...

Since the garage I bought it from are incapable of find the fault, and have told me to keep driving it but keep an eye on the water... what on earth do I do now? my warranty runs out in a month after which time the garage can wash their hands of me.

any suggestions anyone? Do I take it to another garage for a second opinion and inform the garage I bought it from that this is what im doing?
    is there any tests I can do that are surf specific that the garage might not know about?

any help would be very much appreciated.

Jayne

ooh, I should add that the time it almost over heated in Newquay I had water come out of the overflow tank and drip/trickle onto the floor, but there wasnt a litre on the floor which would account for the loss. there was also a glug glug glugging sound coming from the overflow tank tube which reduced as the car cooled, although it was difficult to put a finger on exactly where the glugging sound was coming from.
    Last edited by Toyney; 10 June 2005, 11:48.
    she's no angel

Originally posted by Toyney
    Hey people,

Im still fairly new on here, I bought my Surf 2 months ago, drove to france, had a superb trip in the first week of owning it, but then it developed a water leak.
    So I took it back to the garage I bought it from, they couldnt find anything other than a couple of hoses that "looked like they had wet joints" so I was told. I collected the surf, headed off to Newquay where it very nearly overheated again so I checked the water level, sure enough I had to top it back up with nearly a litre. ( same as before except this time it took 4 hours driving rather than 1 hour to lose the same amount of water)

So I took it back to the garage and they say they cant find anything wrong. the did a pressure test on the water system over night and said there was no loss in pressure...

I have a niggling suspision that it may be the head and the first signs thats its on its way out... or it could be something so bloomin obvious like a rad cap leaking slowly...

Since the garage I bought it from are incapable of find the fault, and have told me to keep driving it but keep an eye on the water... what on earth do I do now? my warranty runs out in a month after which time the garage can wash their hands of me.

any suggestions anyone? Do I take it to another garage for a second opinion and inform the garage I bought it from that this is what im doing?
    is there any tests I can do that are surf specific that the garage might not know about?

any help would be very much appreciated.

Jayne
    You could take it for a pressure test at another garage. Then is the result is not good confront the dealer with the evidence and see what they will do. If it overheats (or gets near it ) you could call the AA/RAC - they carry pressure testing kits usually

Would say that if it was mine and it failed a pressure test with another garage, I would be concerned about the original garage repairing it anyway - they have had it twice and not found a fault so would the repair be good quality??

I would definately do something to make it break before the warranty runs out if you can, but check the warranty actually covers the head!
    Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Have you tried a new rad cap? Does the water drip from the exhaust (once it is warmed up), that is a sign of the head leaking into a cylinder. Have you looked at the oil, I'm assuming it is not contaminated by water?

I use what seems to be a fairly good place that seem fair, use only genuine Toyota parts, owner used to work for Toyota (my Wife remembers him from when she used to take her car there) etc in Biggin Hill, which is not a million miles from Croydon. If you like I will get you the number when I get home.
      Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Originally posted by TJG
        Have you tried a new rad cap? Does the water drip from the exhaust (once it is warmed up), that is a sign of the head leaking into a cylinder. Have you looked at the oil, I'm assuming it is not contaminated by water?

I use what seems to be a fairly good place that seem fair, use only genuine Toyota parts, owner used to work for Toyota (my Wife remembers him from when she used to take her car there) etc in Biggin Hill, which is not a million miles from Croydon. If you like I will get you the number when I get home.
        I would like the number as my surf is due for a service next month and not to far from croydon cheers

Comment

yeah, I would love their number thanks.

I have checked the oil, looks perfect, no sign of water in there. ( to my un trained eye, black smooth oil is good in a diesel engine I believe)

I havent seen excessive steam from the exhaust, the only time I see steam is when I start up for the first time from cold, then theres a bit but nothing to write home about as looking unusual.

The surfs only been in this country a year and half, it has loads of jap service history but none from this country that I can see.
          I dont mind so much if it is the head, as written in previous threads recently, once its done, its done and can then get on enjoying driving it.

Im up in chesterfield this afternoon and tomorrow morning so I think I might just nip to milners in matlock to get a rad cap in the morning... thats got to be a cheap first option and theres no harm changing to a new one for a few quid. I would have thought I would hear it hissing though if it was the cap.

SO im keeping an eye on that water level, hopefully it will get me up there no probs. ( several 1 litre bottles stashed away in the back to be sure) In fact, im off now. so ta ta and I will log back in again on sunday when im back down here to check for that number if you would be so kind.

thanks
          she's no angel

Comment

Did you find the garage in Nottingham Road.... did they give you this grief ????
            Had enough... going to live in Spain....

Comment

Originally posted by Helen
              Did you find the garage in Nottingham Road.... did they give you this grief ????
              no I couldnt find the one on nottingham road, and I live on warham road which is the next one along. not really sure what it should look like but its all houses or school on that road... any visual description would be helpful. I couldnt PM you to ask because I havent posted enough times or paid money to be able to pm.
              she's no angel

Comment

no I couldnt find the one on nottingham road, and I live on warham road which is the next one along. not really sure what it should look like but its all houses or school on that road... any visual description would be helpful. I couldnt PM you to ask because I havent posted enough times or paid money to be able to pm.
                This is what I posted last time you asked....
                .......it is opposite the main doors of the bowling club.
                It's Number 13. Just before block of flats called Archer Court. Two sets of double doors painted green...No name board.

Now sign up for a blue star...!!!!
                Had enough... going to live in Spain....

Comment

As requested details are

Sunningvale Service Station
                  Sunningvale Av, Biggin Hill, Westerham, TN16 3TL
                  Tel 01959 573434

I just had mine serviced, with a new cam belt, air filter, front pads, wipers,etc etc and it came to £500 which I don't think is too bad as cam belt is a 4 hour job on its own. I think the service on its own was £95 + parts & VAT.

My old landrover was doing petrol, water and oil in roughly equal quants (although there were signs that it was chucking water out over the engine). I put a new rad cap on it and a tin of radweld and bingo, now it only uses petrol and oil in vast quants. So that was a nice cheap fix.
                  Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

mate a cam belt change on a 3.0l is about 45 mins work, i think your confusing it with a 2.4 cam belt change about 90£ on a 3.0l

Comment

If your 100% sure the warranty covers the head and you have proof of previous visits to the garage (re water loss) then I would drive it hard, overheat & crack the head and let them then worry about it.
                      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                      My choice
                      Back off

Comment

thanks for the info on garages, I just flew back from france today so not had a chance to reply before now.
                        I nipped in to Milners at the weekend and picked up a new rad cap. My dad had a look at the casting where teh cap fits and it was a bit inperfect so its been carefully smoothed with some fine emry, so the rad cap should have a good seal.
                        I also pressure cleaned the radiator as it was still half full of mud from the previous owner ( not very car sympathetic owner) who left the engine bay and front end of surf totally full of mud. rad looks much much better now.
                        but its still losing water from somewhere. about 1 litre per 3 hours drive.
                        I tried to drive the wheels off it on the way back from Derbyshire on sunday afternoon, all i succeeded in was using more diesel and getting home early!
                        I really dont want to kill it if the head is actually alright, ( its got loads of jap service history) Im going to put the details of the water leak in writing to the garage and write my concerns down about their lack of ability to find the fault before my warranty expires.
                        I cant just let it run out of water and warp/crack the head on purpose, I know I could use the excuse of being a dappy blonde woman but I really dont want to. So im going to try the garage around the corner from my house, ( I now realise after Helens description, that the place she mentioned was shut when i cycled past... and with no sign its almost invisible) its so local to me i would be mad not to try them first. If they can locate the leak, head or water pump or otherwise then bingo, I can then go back to the original garage and tell them whats wrong. Although i have no confidence in their garages ability to sort them problem... i will cross that bridge when i come to it.

going to order a workshop manual from milners asap. I cant believe ive driven past that place in derbyshire so many times and never realised it was there.
                        she's no angel

Comment

ah mud.... that could expalin the overheating... but presure washing the rad isnt a good idea...

Comment

it wasnt super high pressure, not enough to damage the fins anyway. just enough to dislodge the mud so that air can now flow through the rad rather than hit it and have to go around.
                            the over heating is caused when the water gets too low... but i figure the water can go lower now that more of the radiator is working properly.. meaning longer time between filling her back up with water before she over heats.

I have a trip planned next month to france and spain, probably 3-4k kms round trip and if i cant get the leak sorted by then, well, im taking a lot of water and planning extra stops in the journey to make sure we have enough water in the system.
                            she's no angel

Comment

thanks for the info on garages, I just flew back from france today so not had a chance to reply before now.
                              I nipped in to Milners at the weekend and picked up a new rad cap. My dad had a look at the casting where teh cap fits and it was a bit inperfect so its been carefully smoothed with some fine emry, so the rad cap should have a good seal.
                              I also pressure cleaned the radiator as it was still half full of mud from the previous owner ( not very car sympathetic owner) who left the engine bay and front end of surf totally full of mud. rad looks much much better now.
                              but its still losing water from somewhere. about 1 litre per 3 hours drive.
                              I tried to drive the wheels off it on the way back from Derbyshire on sunday afternoon, all i succeeded in was using more diesel and getting home early!
                              I really dont want to kill it if the head is actually alright, ( its got loads of jap service history) Im going to put the details of the water leak in writing to the garage and write my concerns down about their lack of ability to find the fault before my warranty expires.
                              I cant just let it run out of water and warp/crack the head on purpose, I know I could use the excuse of being a dappy blonde woman but I really dont want to. So im going to try the garage around the corner from my house, ( I now realise after Helens description, that the place she mentioned was shut when i cycled past... and with no sign its almost invisible) its so local to me i would be mad not to try them first. If they can locate the leak, head or water pump or otherwise then bingo, I can then go back to the original garage and tell them whats wrong. Although i have no confidence in their garages ability to sort them problem... i will cross that bridge when i come to it.

going to order a workshop manual from milners asap. I cant believe ive driven past that place in derbyshire so many times and never realised it was there.
                              While itsat the garage ask them to do a pressure test too.
                              Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X