handbrake warning light problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• handbrake warning light problem

handbrake warning light problem as i was driving and i braked the handbrake warning light came on for a few seconds and then went off did this twice any ideas is it telling me my pads are low or something have a little brake squeal so thats what i thought but if any one knows please tell me its a 1991 ln 130 2.4 td no abs i dont think never seen a li9ght for ity locked wheels up a couple of times would it be front pads or rear drums any help appreciated

The light indicates one of three things; handbrake, vacuum problem or low fluid. If the light only flashes on and off then the most likely is low fluid. Low pads are indicated by a squealing noise as the metal indicator strip comes into contact with the discs - there is no electrical connection.
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by matthew coventry
      handbrake warning light problem as i was driving and i braked the handbrake warning light came on for a few seconds and then went off did this twice any ideas is it telling me my pads are low or something have a little brake squeal so thats what i thought but if any one knows please tell me its a 1991 ln 130 2.4 td no abs i dont think never seen a li9ght for ity locked wheels up a couple of times would it be front pads or rear drums any help appreciated

I have just started getting the same on mine but only on acceleration and deceleration..

Comment

Mine has been like it for months, I checked everything, and it turned out to be just a sticking float in the fluid reservoir.
        I've got used to the light being on all the time now,it glows brighter when I pull the handbrake on.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          Mine has been like it for months, I checked everything, and it turned out to be just a sticking float in the fluid reservoir.
          I've got used to the light being on all the time now,it glows brighter when I pull the handbrake on.
          The level sensor in the brake fluid reservoir can develop a fault (even if the fluid is obviously full). Unplug the the lead to it a few times (clean contacts) failing that give the whole reservoir a few sharp taps. Well it cured mine anyway!

Nevillef

Comment

Have'nt tried that yet, but I'll give it a go.
            Cheerz.

Comment

I had this problem some time ago after being off-road. The brake drum at the rear was full of dried mud and on acceleration/deceleration the light would show.

Cleaned out the back brakes and no more!.
              Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
                I had this problem some time ago after being off-road. The brake drum at the rear was full of dried mud and on acceleration/deceleration the light would show.

Cleaned out the back brakes and no more!.
                Maybe the MK3 Surf has extra sensors?

Nevillef

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
                  Maybe the MK3 Surf has extra sensors?

Nevillef

2nd Gen here.....3rd Gen has ABS.......

I believe the mud in between the brakes was creating the brake light to come on as pressure would bear against them and create the fault diagnosis of brake shoes being worn
                  Last edited by Gizmo; 9 June 2005, 23:00.
                  Gaz

Comment

Working...
                  X