How Friendly Are Surf Drivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Friendly Are Surf Drivers?

I can remember driving in 2CVs and beetles and when you passed a similar car you waved at the other driver.

It would seem that is not my experience of other Surf Drivers. When I first got my surf around 3 yrs ago you just did not see any other Surfs around. I remember seeing my first surf 'brother'. I must admit I did feel like my territory had been invaded, my truck lost some of its uniqueness.

Now I see Surfs all over the place but the one thing that surprises/disappoints me is their is no wave or acknowledgement happening.

WHERE IS THE LOVE!!!

Do you make an effort to wave at a fellow surf drivers?

I used to own a bike and others bikers always waved to you and if i see another surf on the road i like to give a nod.

Jay

Originally posted by AndyBud
    I can remember driving in 2CVs and beetles and when you passed a similar car you waved at the other driver.

It would seem that is not my experience of other Surf Drivers. When I first got my surf around 3 yrs ago you just did not see any other Surfs around. I remember seeing my first surf 'brother'. I must admit I did feel like my territory had been invaded, my truck lost some of its uniqueness.

Now I see Surfs all over the place but the one thing that surprises/disappoints me is their is no wave or acknowledgement happening.

WHERE IS THE LOVE!!!

1994 3.0 SSR-V LTM Dark Green over Silver
    [url]www.sarahsflowers.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Certainly do. There is a few others round here that I see semi regularly and they wave back. Some others just look at you weird.

Mind you, the occasional LandCruiser gets a wave (they look kinda similar to Surfs from the front) too. Never had one of them wave back.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by AndyBud

WHERE IS THE LOVE!!!

I do, but in nearly a year of ownership have only had two waves, the latest being a navy blue job like mine when I was on my way out of Kidderminster the other week. I too am disappointed at the lack of hugging going down.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I do, and I find that others usually do, although I saw one tonight that didnt bother.

Comment

Originally posted by sim
            I do, and I find that others usually do, although I saw one tonight that didnt bother.
            I generaly wave other Surfers- but only get a response about 50% of the time. The others look at me 'gone out'!

Don't forget to use the 'Surf calling cards' for parked up Surfs. I always carry a few around to leave in Surf windscreens. I think the graphics to print your own are somewhere on the forum?

Nevillef

Comment

Theres one bloke i pass on the way to work every night, i let on but get no reaction, all the time. What can you do!

Comment

i pass a lady in a surf on the way home every nite it has taken 3 months of the surf wave till she waved back but now she waves to me

Psssst dont tell terrie think she fancys me

ok dont spoil it a man can dream cant he
                Enjoying Life after Cancer
                Pops

Comment

'Er indoors thinks I'm mad when I acknowledge another Surf driver but I would say that it's about 50/50 for response/no response.

I think that the problem is that there are quite a few Surf owners out there that would normally buy a diferrent make of 4x4, i.e. Land/Range Rover, Terrano, even BMW's but they have bought the Surf cos it's such a great 4x4 - read as a PROPER 4x4 - that's great value for money, unlike the others!

From previous posts about these types, they don't use 4x4's for anything other than the school run or shopping, so they are hardly likely to wave to us lot!

Cheers, Nick (Still waving but Danno didn't wave back last night!!! )
                  "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nick V
                    'Er indoors thinks I'm mad when I acknowledge another Surf driver but I would say that it's about 50/50 for response/no response.

I think that the problem is that there are quite a few Surf owners out there that would normally buy a diferrent make of 4x4, i.e. Land/Range Rover, Terrano, even BMW's but they have bought the Surf cos it's such a great 4x4 - read as a PROPER 4x4 - that's great value for money, unlike the others!

From previous posts about these types, they don't use 4x4's for anything other than the school run or shopping, so they are hardly likely to wave to us lot!

Hmmmmm, A couple of Surf Owners have waived, I normally miss them until the last minute, i'm too relaxed enjoying the drive (CD player, CB, etc etc) will try harder next time

Apart from the A**hole that verbally abused me when I was in my school bus, I flatly refuse to wave to that f****r!
                    Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Originally posted by Nick V

Nick.
                      Easy with the sweeping generalisations M8.
                      I had to resurect my 1994 Land Rover Defender as the cam belt went on my Surf. Without fail I get acknowledgement from other Defenders, This does'nt necessarily mean they are freindlier just that a Defender is instantly recogniseable! I obviously miss my Surf and am counting the days to it's return but ,at the risk of incuring mass abuse, the Defender is a proper no frills 4x4 and has proven to be more reliable than my beloved Surf. I'm with you on your definition of most 4x4 owners but I'm more than slightly confused that you lumped Land Rovers in with the others.
                      Rant over.
                      Keef
                      A positive attitude wont solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort!

Comment

Keep on waving!

My experience on the whole has been very positive.

Keep on waving I say - the others will catch on with time.

Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

neville
                          that blank expression you get is probably me in a little wibbly wobbly world of my own... WAVE LOUDER! i have yet to swap waves with any surfs, but its probably me lookin where iam going.. sorry!
                          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

I get a 60:40 success rate. sometimes they beat me to the wave - dammit
                            Dave

Comment

hey draig know any one who wants anice shiny s16s?
                              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X