Towing a caravan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing a caravan

I've had my 3rd gen surf nearly 6 months and it is absolutely magic to drive.My only worry is whether or not i should tow a caravan will it cook the auto box or lead to overheating.At the moment the temp never goes above just under half,i know you can add an extra oil cooler but is that a must for towing.Cheers all.

If your towing within the trucks towing weight, then everything should be cool. If you near or over the limit, and doing lots of towing up hills go for a cooler.

Or it you want 100% piece of mind and can forget about things, fit a cooler.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I Take our caravan out with surf, no probs at all.

The only thing i can say is even though it will be way ontop of it`s job for towing at weighing in just under 2 ton,you still have to make sure you keep an eye on the nose weight.

Once away they just cruise.Infact they cruise abit to well.I tend ro creep over 60 without realiseing, then you have to back off the pedal a bit.

Last time away a bloke on the next pitch showed me a write up from a caravan mag,All about surfs and towing caravans,it got a massive thumbs up from the people doing the right up

One more thing ,take a look at peoples faces when you go past them in your Surf and their in there prize and joy mondeo trying to get up a small incline
      Stella Artois

Comment

Cheers think i'll give it a go, top site yet again

Comment

You will have no problems, I tow a twin axle with no change in the temp at all wether charging uphill or in France. But I did fit an extra auto trnsmission cooler for piece on mind.

The only hassle I get is having to swing out the spare wheel every time I hitch and unhitch
          Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

Comment

I have a manual and the surf is a stunning towcar except for two things. The rear springs are soft as butter, Even with dogs in back and a bit of luggage it sits well down, add on roof box and caravan and it is a joke. Just invested in Milners 20% stiffer springs, they are being fitted on Monday and I'll give it a try next weekend and report back how much difference it has made. I must say it seems really stupid you have a car with a HUGE load carrying capacity and it will only take 100kgs in the boot.

The next thing is that the handbrake on trhe caravan catches the spare wheel when reversing hard round. I'm going to try a 2" spacer behind the towball to see if that makes a difference.
            Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

I always have over 100kgs of crap in the boot
              Last edited by TonyN; 7 June 2005, 16:23. Reason: more truthful.
              Tim
              Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Mines a mk2 KZN130, and it has no problems at all. I regularly go from the NW to St Ives.

To be on the safe side though, I uprated the rear springs, fitted an oil cooler, and change the auto box fluid every year.
                Everything's easy, when you know how!

Comment

We tow a twin axle caravan and the logest tow so far was from London to Worcester. Biggest problem is that you have to watch your speed as it so easy to exceed the 60 mph on a motorway. Inclines??? What inclines? Best two car I have ever had. Previously used a BMW 750 petrol and at a later stage a Volvo S80 D5.

Comment

Know i've said it before but you're all top people really appreciate replies feel a lot more confidant now,the other thing is how much will an extra cooler cost and how long to fit.Cheers again

Comment

its not too local for you but they do post..http://www.autogearbox.com/
                      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

It should take a couple of hours max to fit a new oil cooler. That's about what mine took. You'll need to remove the front bumper (and A bar if fitted) as well as the front bash plate. The best place to fit the cooler is low down on top of the front crossmember and in front of the existing rad.

If you have spots and a square front number plate fitted it might be sensible to take them off when towing in hot weather so as to maximise airflow through the radiator. And make sure your viscous fan works properly. They lose oil over time and won't kick in properly when the water temp rises.
                        Mike G

Comment

Working...
                        X