Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Litre Info Please

Hi All,

I have recently said a sad farewell to my 2.4 diesel & want to replace it with a 3 Litre diesel. Can you please advise of any issues/problems when buying a 3L.

Also i got 24mpg with the 2.4, what does the 3L do.
    Also what was the bhp of the 2.4 and what bhp is the 3L.

Thank you in anticipation of all your advice (yet again)

Originally posted by Tudor
    Hi All,

I have recently said a sad farewell to my 2.4 diesel & want to replace it with a 3 Litre diesel. Can you please advise of any issues/problems when buying a 3L.

Good move, the 3.0 is much more tractable than the 2.4. No known issues with the 3.0 versus the 2.4. Head design so far appears much improved and long lasting.
    Expect a 3.0 to return virtually identical economy to your old one too !
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Hi All,

dunno about the 2.4 but the 3.0 is 130bhp so not too quick and around 300 lb torque.
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Hi All,

Don't forget if you're moving to a 3rd Gen model you get the choice of 2 3.0L engines, normal and intercooled
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Hi all
          My 3.0L UK 4Runner does about 26mpg running around, although I have had 35mpg on a long gentle run. Top speed is 105mph measured using a gps.

Check the cooling system carefully, make sure it has full strength coolant in it and it is not under or over filled. A lot of the UK cars had heads replaced under warranty when they were quite young, but if the car has been driven very gently it may not have been done.

A way to check is to take it for a good hard run and then switch it off for five minutes. Restart it and let it idle. If you see any white smoke, be wary. If the head is cracked, when the hot engine is shut down hot spots occur as the coolant has stopped circulating. The heat opens the cracks allowing coolant into the cylinder(s), and this is chucked out of the exhaust on restart.

The 4Runners seem to be well made and long lasting. Mine has 156,000 miles on it and it is fine, so don't worry about mileage too much.

All the best

NeillOP

Comment

i must be doing something wrong then because my last tankful lasted for an enormous 270Kilometers, But what the heck I didn't half enjoy them
            [size=4][font=franklin gothic medium][color=lime]Every Day Above Ground is a Good Day[/color][/font][/size]
            [img]http://www.vertueren.gb.com/welshflag.gif[/img] [color=red]Gods Country[/color]

Comment

Originally posted by rockey
              i must be doing something wrong then because my last tankful lasted for an enormous 270Kilometers, But what the heck I didn't half enjoy them
              surely you mean miles??

i'm doing 320 miles to a tank
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I just got a little over 600k to a full tank in my 3.0 intercooled '98. Now I didnt break any speed limits but I didn't toddle along at 40mph either. I was very impressed. And it's an auto....

I've heard of a chip to suit the landcruiser, 1KZ-TE engine. This is supposed to boost power to 165-170hp and up to about 380-390lb/ft. It's somewhere around €700 over here, but I have to find out more.

Comment

I average 400km (250miles) to a tank (£45) with mixed driving and about 500kg load in the back.

If you want to work out the economy and cost this is quite a good converter once you've sussed out how to use it!

http://www.euronet.nl/users/grantm/frans/fuel.html

Rich.
                  If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

aussie hiluxs

we get two versions of the 3 litre diesel, the n/a diesel and the turbo version (non intercooled). the only problems they have here is that they have a tendency to blow head gaskets in the late 04 engines. other than that they are economical and is not uncommon to get 6 to 7 hundred kays out of them per tank. also very reliable and easy to fix comparede to the european diesel from merecedes, bmw, vw etc.

Comment

Mate, this thread is nearly 5 years old! Thats some kind of record to dredge one up from that far back!

Welcome to the forum though
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I thought austraila was ahead of us timewise
                        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

The 2.4 diesel is around the 80 bhp (hence the reason they are so slow).
                          3.0 diesel rated @ 130 bhp
                          3.0 petrol V6 rated @ 150 bhp, quick but very thirsty!
                          Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

lol didnt even see the date

Comment

Working...
                            X