Calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calipers

Just fitted new brake pads on the Surf. Took about 2 hours in total. One of the calipers on the drivers outside was seized solid. Lots of shouting, swearing, hitting with a crow bar and I eventually had the damn thing pushed back enough to get the new pad in place. Passenger side only too 5 minutes.

The old pads were worn right down to the metal. That might explain the grinding sound and poor braking I've been experiencing.

I feel that I might have a new brake caliper in my near future.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

I'd keep an eye on that sticking caliper if I were you, it may stick again causing your brakes to drag.
    Not good for fuel economy,

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie
      Just fitted new brake pads on the Surf. Took about 2 hours in total. One of the calipers on the drivers outside was seized solid. Lots of shouting, swearing, hitting with a crow bar and I eventually had the damn thing pushed back enough to get the new pad in place. Passenger side only too 5 minutes.

The old pads were worn right down to the metal. That might explain the grinding sound and poor braking I've been experiencing.

I feel that I might have a new brake caliper in my near future.

Have a word with Hilux bob, paul he should have one for u, he sorted me out the other week.
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

I think it's been sticking for a while, it's been pulling to the left under hard braking for a little while. Seemed much better tonight on a quick test drive.
        Paul </Slugsie>
        Immortal.so far!

Comment

I think it's been sticking for a while, it's been pulling to the left under hard braking for a little while. Seemed much better tonight on a quick test drive.
          You buy a caliper re-furb kit from Milners or Roughtrax. It means you'll have to strip down and re-build the caliper, but if it has seized then it's worth doing as it helps to stop the car if they're working properly......

I had to get a big hammer and huge pipe grips on one piston to free it. Then I used very fine wet-n-dry to clean up the bore and piston. Once cleaned and re-assembled with the new seals it was okay.

Nevillef

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
            You buy a caliper re-furb kit from Milners or Roughtrax. It means you'll have to strip down and re-build the caliper, but if it has seized then it's worth doing as it helps to stop the car if they're working properly......

I had to get a big hammer and huge pipe grips on one piston to free it. Then I used very fine wet-n-dry to clean up the bore and piston. Once cleaned and re-assembled with the new seals it was okay.

Nevillef
            I'll probably see about getting someone to do the job for me. Don't fancy the brake bleeding bit too much, too much chance of bruising if I get it wrong.

Mind you, if it can be done without having to remove the caliper, I'd give it a shot.
            Paul </Slugsie>
            Immortal.so far!

Comment

I'll probably see about getting someone to do the job for me. Don't fancy the brake bleeding bit too much, too much chance of bruising if I get it wrong.

Mind you, if it can be done without having to remove the caliper, I'd give it a shot.
              Bleeding the brakes is easy peasy. The main thing for brake related jobs is getting the right tools. A 10mm pipe spanner (aka flare nut spanner) is a must. Brake nut fittings are as soft as poo and VERY easy to round off using conventional spanners.

To re-furbish the caliper you'll need to remove it into the workshop. That means disconecting the brakeline to it. Block the open pipe with a bung so you don't lose too much brake fluid. Then you can get on with the job.

After re-fitting the caliper and pads you'll need to bleed the brake on that corner to flush out the air and flush a bit of clean fluid through the caliper to remove any crud left in caliper from the refurb job. An assistant is useful for this! Keep the brake fluid reservoir topped up mind.

Nevillef

Comment

Refurb the calipers - it's easier than you'd think. It's just important that you do it right. Look what a seized caliper could lead to, like it did for me...

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=11059

Mark
                :

Comment

im wondering if this is what I got...
                  not too good mpg, pulls to left on braking with a bit of judder thrown in and the newest one is a jingling noise when the brakes are NOT on.
                  brake pad wear thingy perhaps on the disc?
                  Tim
                  Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                    im wondering if this is what I got...
                    not too good mpg, pulls to left on braking with a bit of judder thrown in and the newest one is a jingling noise when the brakes are NOT on.
                    brake pad wear thingy perhaps on the disc?
                    Could be the sound of the pad wear indicators (a couple of squealy bits of rubbing metal) just begining to bite. I'd check the pads out- if worn, order some new ones (both sides) and also get the caliper refurb kit at the same time- just in case they need attention. It's a job you might need to do all in one go- just to get the new pads on.

Nevillef

Comment

i think tony's WD40 fix on my caliper has stopped working lasted well though!
                      my pass side brakes are making a grinding sort of noise and arent very strong anymore, its not a painful sound just an odd one.
                      add this to the rears not working fully as they have had mud in since August im down to 1 corner braking! nice

hopefully have a butchers tomorrow, well today.
                      Tim
                      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Did a caliper refurb on a Moto Guzzi a few years back.

Big hint on removing pistons:

Do it on the car!
                        Remove the caliper from the disk, (one wheel only), suspend the caliper over a bowl to catch the brake fluid, then press the brake pedal to push the piston out, without use of crowbars, pipegrips or anything uncivilised.
                        It is a bit of a bind with opposed-piston calipers - I had to make up a "C"-shaped steel keeper to hold one piston in place while removing the other (otherwise the more easily removed piston pops out, leaving the other stuck in...).
                        AFAIK, the Surf calipers are, like most car calipers, single-piston. Tony?
                        Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

And when you change pads a G Clamp of the right size for pushing the piston back in beats hammers levers, crowbars and other brutal types of attack.

Bogus
                          Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainBeaky
                            AFAIK, the Surf calipers are, like most car calipers, single-piston.
                            No. Early models have two and after '90 I think it is have 4.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus
                              And when you change pads a G Clamp of the right size for pushing the piston back in beats hammers levers, crowbars and other brutal types of attack.

Bogus
                              F clamps are better.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                              X