Banshees under the bonnet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banshees under the bonnet

Ever since Langdale I have had problems with all the drive belts squealing. I have tried squirting them with WD40 (lasts for one short trip). I have tried steam cleaning the belts/pulleys. I have pressure washed. I have taken the advise of the, "You don't want to do it like that." neighbour and tried spray grease. I am almost at the end of my tether. They were all new Milners belts about two years ago. Once the engine has well and truly warmed up the squealing stops but I can't stand the attention I get for the first few miles.
    It's only a hobby!

course you checked the tension of said belts han'nt you phil
    Enjoying Life after Cancer
    Pops

Comment

by the eerie silence and the wind blowing dust down the street i would say that was a yes pops!!!!!!
      I always work better wet .

Its why I became a plumber!!!

Comment

Definately check the belt tensions. If the squealing stops when the engine is warm it's because the pulleys and belts have warmed up due to the friction/heat caused by them slipping and will therefore grip until they cool down again.
        Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

I have checked the tension of the belts.
          They seem to be glazed on the vees that go into the pulleys and are all shiny. Maybe the DEvils pIt chalk and the Langdale sand/peat was too much for them.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

If they're glazed, would roughing them up a bit with sand paper help, or is that a no-no...

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
              If they're glazed, would roughing them up a bit with sand paper help, or is that a no-no...
              I'm willing to try anything. I have even considered cleaning them again and spraying some of that low tack photo adhesive on them. Of course there is the possibility that something has tightened up. I just hope the water pump isn't on its way out. It's not the PAS pump because the steering isn't juddery like it was when that was slipping.
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                i met a girl once... when i roughed her up, she got more slippery!...

i'll go back to bed now.
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                  Ever since Langdale I have had problems with all the drive belts squealing. I have tried squirting them with WD40 (lasts for one short trip). I have tried steam cleaning the belts/pulleys. I have pressure washed. I have taken the advise of the, "You don't want to do it like that." neighbour and tried spray grease. I am almost at the end of my tether. They were all new Milners belts about two years ago. Once the engine has well and truly warmed up the squealing stops but I can't stand the attention I get for the first few miles.
                  Get it sorted PHIL as 3 of my belts have just snapped
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                  (")_(")

Comment

Banshees Exorcised

Found the problem tonight.............eureka!!!

It seems that the rear of the two alternator belts has stretched by a few mm. I missed it when I was checking the belt tension because I assumed that if the front one was tight enough the rear one should be tensioned the same. I don't know what sort of tolerence the pattern belts are made to, but I am going to check the alignment of the alternator, before I go and order a set of genuine Toyota ones. Too risky especially if the cam belt is of similar quality.

At least I know where the chirping cricket sound was coming from before the banshees started.
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

I know im gonna be banished to the basement for mentioning this ,but my surf has mits...... belts on apart from the cam belt thats genuine toyota!!!!
                      I always work better wet .

Its why I became a plumber!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X