Advise needed please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise needed please

My Partner bought a Surf 2.4 on the 14th of may from a local garage. He used it basically once. On his way home on the motorway he broke down, it filled with steam and he had to pull over on the hard shoulder. He ended up being taken home by the break down services. His head has gone so he contacted the garage that he purchased it from. He has asked for his money back or for it to be repaired. They have said that they will gladly refund his money if he brings it back in the same condition as he recieved it, ie the head repaired. My partner has told him that this is unacceptable. The garage then offerd him £200 towards the cost of repair. The garage owner has told him to stop hasstling him over this matter as well. I wonder if the shoe was on the other foot that he would accept this? I very much doubt it.
    Can anyone tell us how much the repair would cost?

I just wish that we had found this site before deciding to buy one, at least that way we would have been aware of this problem regarding the heads etc.
    Any advise would be more than welcome.

Many thanks
    Tinks
    Last edited by Tinks; 27 May 2005, 11:11.

Tinks,

Go HERE for details of Stevo, he CAN help you.

I would also advise you to holler at Trading Standards - the garage is trying to rip you off.

Trev

Originally posted by Tinks
    My Partner bought a Surf 2.3 on the 14th of may from a local garage. He used it basically once. On his way home on the motorway he broke down, it filled with steam and he had to pull over on the hard shoulder. He ended up being taken home by the break down services. His head has gone so he contacted the garage that he purchased it from. He has asked for his money back or for it to be repaired. They have said that they will gladly refund his money if he brings it back in the same condition as he recieved it, ie the head repaired. My partner has told him that this is unacceptable. The garage then offerd him £200 towards the cost of repair. The garage owner has told him to stop hasstling him over this matter as well. I wonder if the shoe was on the other foot that he would accept this? I very much doubt it.

I just wish that we had found this site before deciding to buy one, at least that way we would have been aware of this problem regarding the heads etc.

Many thanks
    Tinks
    Last edited by That Ruddy Squirrel; 27 May 2005, 11:21. Reason: added Trading standards
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Don't take that rubbish from the garage! They clearly sold you a car which had a problem. I would contact trading standards and get them involved. You are entitled to a full refund or for the garage to repair it. Don't let them get away with anything less.

Don't let those cowboys fob you off.

Oh and post on here who you bought it off so no one else uses them...

Comment

My Partner bought a Surf 2.4 on the 14th of may from a local garage. He used it basically once. On his way home on the motorway he broke down, it filled with steam and he had to pull over on the hard shoulder. He ended up being taken home by the break down services. His head has gone so he contacted the garage that he purchased it from. He has asked for his money back or for it to be repaired. They have said that they will gladly refund his money if he brings it back in the same condition as he recieved it, ie the head repaired. My partner has told him that this is unacceptable. The garage then offerd him £200 towards the cost of repair. The garage owner has told him to stop hasstling him over this matter as well. I wonder if the shoe was on the other foot that he would accept this? I very much doubt it.

Many thanks
        Tinks
        surely if you only used it the once then is would be going back in the state it was bought, as the head was probably nakerd then. I would conact the trading standards people also, because I do believe that if you buy from a trader you are entitled to 3 months warenty anyway reguardless of there policies.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky
          surely if you only used it the once then is would be going back in the state it was bought, as the head was probably nakerd then. I would conact the trading standards people also, because I do believe that if you buy from a trader you are entitled to 3 months warenty anyway reguardless of there policies.
          whatever goods you buy, be it a washing machine or a car the goods must be fit to perform the tasks that they are designed to perform. those are your statuatory (think thats spelt right) rights and recognised by every court of law. this garage does not have a leg to stand on and he`s going down the route of trying to fob you off and hoping you will swallow the cost like so many others do. stand your ground and like everybody else has suggested give trading standards a quick call. try not to let this put you off enjoying your surf, they really are great 4x4`s and loads of fun. best of luck.
          Ian

Comment

Many thanks
            Tinks
            It'll cost £1100 upwards for anyone to repair the car properly with a new uprated head, or £800ish if you DIY it.

You need to be geeting more than £200 off the garage.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I have just spoke to The trading Standards and they have given me some advise. ( We have to send him a recorded delivery letter giving him a chance to fix it within 14 days.) Basically he does not have a leg to stand on! One good thing is that we have another avenue to go down, my partner bought the car on a credit card so they will fight the garage too. Its such a shame that we have to resort to this.
              The Garage where we bought this is called Fresh Cars in Cradley Heath West Midlands.

Many thanks for your advise, at least it has given us some light at the end of the dark tunnel.

Many thanks
              Tinks

Comment

By LAW you have 3 MONTHS warranty from a motor trader. They probably already knew it had a dodgy head when they sold it - so accept NO EXCUSES when dealing
                with them.

This is their website

http://freshcars.co.uk/catalogX.htm

Other potential buyers be warned!

Please keep us informed (just in case they come good). If you don't get satisfaction do remember to put a suitable post in the DEALER EXPERIENCES section.

(You should also forward a link to this thread here:

info@freshcars.co.uk

and mention that they under discussion on the UK's Surf site with 4000+ plus owners and potential owners......)

Nevillef
                Last edited by laser_jock@work; 27 May 2005, 13:04.

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock@work

This is their website

http://freshcars.co.uk/catalogX.htm

Nevillef
                  DERSERT BUMPER HILUX SURF 2400 TURBO DIESEL 1992
                  Bwahahahaha!!! WTF???
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                    Bwahahahaha!!! WTF???
                    And how long will the head last on that particular car, there is not exactly much of the rad visible

Trev
                    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

I`m in Birmingham and this is local to me and i did look at there website last week while i was looking for my surf.
                      I`m so glad i found the one i did before going to this place.
                      Hope all goes well for you, are you in the Brum area?

Jay

I have just spoke to The trading Standards and they have given me some advise. ( We have to send him a recorded delivery letter giving him a chance to fix it within 14 days.) Basically he does not have a leg to stand on! One good thing is that we have another avenue to go down, my partner bought the car on a credit card so they will fight the garage too. Its such a shame that we have to resort to this.
                      The Garage where we bought this is called Fresh Cars in Cradley Heath West Midlands.

Many thanks for your advise, at least it has given us some light at the end of the dark tunnel.
                      1994 3.0 SSR-V LTM Dark Green over Silver
                      [url]www.sarahsflowers.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by blazefan
                        I`m in Birmingham and this is local to me and i did look at there website last week while i was looking for my surf.
                        I`m so glad i found the one i did before going to this place.
                        Hope all goes well for you, are you in the Brum area?

Jay
                        I am from the Wigan area but my partner is from Netherton, Dudley. I am glad that you did not buy from them too, one rip off is enough.
                        Last edited by Tinks; 27 May 2005, 18:33.

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock@work
                          By LAW you have 3 MONTHS warranty from a motor trader. They probably already knew it had a dodgy head when they sold it - so accept NO EXCUSES when dealing
                          with them.

Other potential buyers be warned!

Please keep us informed (just in case they come good). If you don't get satisfaction do remember to put a suitable post in the DEALER EXPERIENCES section.

(You should also forward a link to this thread here:

info@freshcars.co.uk

and mention that they under discussion on the UK's Surf site with 4000+ plus owners and potential owners......)

Nevillef
                          You should also forward a link to this thread here:

I have sent him the link to this site, I hope he takes a look and sees sense!
                          I will keep you informed as this may stop anyone else buying something that is totally useless in its present state.

I did get to drive the surf for albeit a few miles....I have never driven a 4x4 before...wow they are certainly big. I loved it, and once we get this resolved we will be driving one even if we have to get another one....BUT the next time we will take heed of the comments we have read on here.
                          Thank you for your time and advise.
                          We certainly do appreciate it.
                          Tinks
                          Last edited by Tinks; 27 May 2005, 16:58.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your dilema, but as you know by now you aint the first and you wont be the last. Mine lasted 3 months, and was repaired by the dealer, which at the time I was very pleased with. However I have had further head problems later on, by which time the dealer had gone bust. I ended up paying for a re-build (excellent job done by Stevo)
                            I Can't help believing that a 'cheap fix' was done on mine by the dealer.
                            Try and get your money back if you can. I wouldn't trust them to do a good quality repair on your car for free after all the negative feedback you've had from them.
                            Pete

Comment

we are afraid that if he does say he will get it fixed then he will get a botched job done for us too. The car is lovely and we would like to keep it BUT only if it is repaired
                              proper, not some botch job.
                              I think we will end up going to court over this matter to be honest with you, he is not going to do the right thing and get it repaired or give us our money back.
                              As I stated before this guy has told my partner to stop HASTLING him, maybe he thinks that we will just accept his offer of £200 and go away! I THINK NOT!!! We will go to court, and get this matter resolved, but we have to give him a chance to come good...but I wont hold my breath!
                              (The latest thing is that the garage does not belong to him but by a guy who lives in Spain)

Originally posted by Pete
                              Sorry to hear about your dilema, but as you know by now you aint the first and you wont be the last. Mine lasted 3 months, and was repaired by the dealer, which at the time I was very pleased with. However I have had further head problems later on, by which time the dealer had gone bust. I ended up paying for a re-build (excellent job done by Stevo)
                              I Can't help believing that a 'cheap fix' was done on mine by the dealer.
                              Try and get your money back if you can. I wouldn't trust them to do a good quality repair on your car for free after all the negative feedback you've had from them.
                              Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X