Polybushes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polybushes?

Anyone know wher I can get polybushes for my '94 4Runner? As said previously, the roads here are frikkin awful but I've been talking to a rally driver (East African Safari) and he had some suggestions:

#1. HD shocks alone are not good enough. I've got OME HD shocks and springs and he says that must drivers use double shocks using locally produced mounts. I don't have enough cash for another set of OME's so that'll have to wait.

#2. It seems good shocks are not enough. You need to replace the OE rubber bushes with polybushes otherwise you are just waisting money.

Now I'm looking around and thought some of you guys may have allready uprated your bushes and may have a price or at least a distributor?

Any joy out there in Surf-land?

enzo
    http://www.bundubasher.com
    @africa4x4cafe
    [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

All the back end of my Surf was done succsefully with bushes from ExplorerUK.
    3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

To be honest mate, polybushes will make your ride harder, and the way you descride the roads it'll feel really harsh. I'd get new rubber ones in your situation.

But the dilemma is how long they will last.

Pairs of Procomp 9000's work well when trying to control big tyres, but thay will only make you suspension harder. Could try pairs of softer rated 3000's to cope with the bumps, but not stiffen the suspension to much.

Fab'ing mounts isn't that tricky, you can get dual shock tubes ready made in the US, and just weld/bolt them to the chassis for the front.

Some poly bushes here though.....

http://www.explorerprocomp.co.uk/aca...ne_Bushes.html

LA Supertrux also sell them.

search the 'net for 'urethane bushes' as well for more results.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi,
        My dad only has one set of shocks and everypone I know in kenya has not gone for the 2 shocks option.
        My dad does have poly bushes but only because they are so much easier to install.
        The only car I know of that you put 2 sets of shocks on the back is a rangerover and yes lots of guys do that in kanya, I even helped do it (illegally) in the safari rally.
        dont think its necessary, if you need extra shocks get robo shocks (robo is a local guy who imports shocks think they are bilstiens he just paints them and stick his own sticker on them, but I might have that wrong)

Comment

weld some cooling fins on the shocks!... nice!....
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Suspension polybushes from Explorer...

rear suspension and front all fit...

anti-roll bar kits don't....

Use a Explorer Procomp (US spec) front anti-roll bar kit on the rear (Jap spec) anti-roll bar [25mm]... Explorer (UK) are trying to fabricate some 29mm for the jap spec front anti-roll bars. Still waiting for those.

Dog_Book... how did you get your old rubber bushes out of your rear end (ooo errr?).. did you burn them out or persuade them with a selection of over and under size sockets...?

Comment

Having spent 10 years as an overland truck driver in East and Southern Africa all I would say is drive slower and avoid the big holes
              Then you get to spend your free time in the bar rather than under the truck
              Last edited by NeillOP; 25 May 2005, 14:57.

Comment

Originally posted by NeillOP
                Having spent 10 years as an overland truck driver in East and Southern Africa all I would say is drive slower and avoid the big holes
                Then you get to spend your free time in the bar rather than under the truck
                Hujambo! Too right mate! But even at slower speeds some of these bigguns are hard to avoid if you also want to avoid nasty collisions with oncoming Matatus. The harder ride is no problem as it makes one more sympathetic to what the cars suspension is going through and I do actually need it: last trip up from Kenya we GVM'd at 2900kg (using OME shocks and springs) and we still had ZERO butt sag!

Rob's Magic is the locally produced shock and polybush supplier and I had some fitted yesterday to my front shocks and sway bar. They seem good but I've still got complete the rest before I notice the benefit. Only problem is they do not do a complete set for the 4Runner so I'll have to buy some from Toyota, if I post a list of what I need can someone get part no.s and prices for me?

Another thing is that my gear box mount is broken. I've zip tied it up at the moment, but it's another reason to go "pole, pole".

Thanks for the links, I'll go off and do some research now...
                @africa4x4cafe

Comment

Mzuri safari bwana!

Comment

Habari gana?
                    @africa4x4cafe

Comment

mzuri sana, habari ya safari?

Comment

Safari...SOGOODY!

My Swahili is very poor...but I can speak Zulu!
                        @africa4x4cafe

Comment

Sawubona, unjani? Ngikhona ngiyabonga. Hamba kahle!
                          That's ALL my Zulu

Comment

Originally posted by NeillOP
                            Sawubona, unjani? Ngikhona ngiyabonga. Hamba kahle!
                            That's ALL my Zulu
                            Hello (singular), how are you? (kunjani)

I am present

I thank you

Go well!

Thanks for the chat but I've gotta bail...spk soon!

Sala Kahle,

enzo
                            @africa4x4cafe

Comment

Have a good one!
                              Neill
                              Zange ngikhohlwe i-Afrika

Comment

Working...
                              X