Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guests - Dont be shy

I have often noticed that there are more Guests logged on than members

At 13.00hrs today (12th) there are 27 (12 members and 15 guests)

Come on Guests we dont bite (much) register yourselves you can then join in the fun!!
    DUNNO'S BACK ..........He never really went away!

Originally posted by Dunno

Come on Guests we dont bite (much) register yourselves you can then join in the fun!!
    Well..... that frightened them off ...
    Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

Originally posted by Dunno

We got hit by a Web robot trying to crack in, however didn't get anwhere as guests can't do anything, however Nigel and I tied it up even tighter.

All the guests bar 3 were this web robot.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
        We got hit by a Web robot trying to crack in, however didn't get anwhere as guests can't do anything, however Nigel and I tied it up even tighter.

All the guests bar 3 were this web robot.

Cheers
        Andy

Can you explain this a bit more , what does a web robot do and what is it's function.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
          Andy

Can you explain this a bit more , what does a web robot do and what is it's function.
          Andy.

A web robot is a piece of automated software that trawls the web and does something. Often they are totally above board like the search engines who use robots to do the indexing for the sites. However there are some malicious ones used to do bad things such as finding personal information about people (credit cards, addresses, telephone numbers etc etc.) or to do Denial of Service Attacks to bring websites down.

We actually found out that this was a web robot by searching for the IP address on the web (actually Nigel found this). All the addresses started with 64.68.80 which meant they were either a load of people working on the same LAN or a robot.

Guests can't see personal information on this site and there is no "robot.txt" file on the site either which these robots use to access areas. So far it just seems to continue to try and do things it can't and is showing up on the user list doing barred things or with errors.

It happens pretty much to everyone at one time or the other if you have a website or forum. Even Vbulletin got hit the other day by a DOS attack and had to ban access to certain IP addresses from the web server. I can't do this as I don't have that level of access to the web server.

Cheers

Comment

Andy

I noticed that a guest was viewing a members profile the other day , is this allowed .

Comment

Originally posted by andy
              Andy

I noticed that a guest was viewing a members profile the other day , is this allowed .

They can try and look and although it might show them as viewing a profile all they get is an error message screen.
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

Well you learn something new every day. Thanks for that gents I honestley thought it was people sitting on the sidelines and not bothering to participate.

And to prove what you say this is the count now

Who's Online: 6 Members and 15 Guests.

Its nice to know we are all safe.

Once again -
                THANKS TO THE MANAGEMENT
                DUNNO'S BACK ..........He never really went away!

Comment

17.40 .......24 guests ? I a
                  Last edited by bensonsnuts; 12 November 2003, 18:43.
                  Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

Working...
                  X