Urgent PC help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent PC help please!

Disaster!I have just tried to download and install service pack 4 for Windows 2000 Pro,half way through the installation everything crashed and now my PC wont boot.Can anyone suggest how I can get hold of an emergency boot disc?If anyone has one I will pay you via paypal,or if someon could advise me how to go about making one (be gentle,I'm a bit of a PC novice when it comes to emergencies like this)I could do with sorted,my other PC is/was faster than this old thing.All help appreciated.Cheers.
    Powered by ????

Originally posted by RobD
    Disaster!I have just tried to download and install service pack 4 for Windows 2000 Pro,half way through the installation everything crashed and now my PC wont boot.Can anyone suggest how I can get hold of an emergency boot disc?If anyone has one I will pay you via paypal,or if someon could advise me how to go about making one (be gentle,I'm a bit of a PC novice when it comes to emergencies like this)I could do with sorted,my other PC is/was faster than this old thing.All help appreciated.Cheers.
    Don't know about windows 2000 Pro but when iv'e had similar problems with XP and ME iv'e managed to sort it by going into safe mode when Windows boots and sorted it from there. If I remember rightly you hold down the F8 key after post and before Windows boots and it should take you to an option screen that allows various options including safe mode or your previous configuration. From there you can access your file system etc and hopefully undo whatever went wrong including system restore and MSConfig which allows you to select various start-up options to eliminate the problem.
    Last edited by Silversurfer; 19 May 2005, 22:43.
    Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Can you start it in safe mode, and then do a windows system restore.

To start Windows 2000 in Safe mode

If the computer is on, shut-down the computer by selecting START > SHUT DOWN, selct Shut Down from the drop-down list, and click OK.

Turn on the computer, watch the screen while it is still black. When you see the black-and-white "Starting Windows" bar at the bottom of the screen, start tapping the F8 key on your keyboard. The Windows 2000 Advanced Options Menu appears.

Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected. In most cases, it is the first item in the list and is selected by default. (If it is not selected, use the arrow keys on your keyboard to select it.) Press Enter.

The computer will start in Safe mode. This can take a few minutes. When you are finished with troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

Comment

i ve got red system rescue disc for ME

but will need it back send me your address
        ex Burgundy 2.4 owner

Comment

The computer wont boot in safe mode either.
          Powered by ????

Comment

Silver Surfer is correct !

Good old SS he's correct again ... keep pushing F8 all the time whilst the PC is booting up u know off and on - keep pushing ..

Comment

Win 2000 a bit long in the tooth, have you got your windows 2000 pro disk? Try to boot the pc up with that in the drive it should look to boot up from the disk. Can't remmeber off hand if you can repair installation from there or not or wether you can just wipe your hard drive clean and start again.
              Might be time to think about upgrading the old dog mate. If you have access to the web which I presume you have you can download boot disks from bootdisk dot com or somethign simular have a search on google.

Comment

hiya
                try
                http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

you should be able to download a boot disk from there

Hope you get sorted
                Dave
                ps scroll down to the notes first
                Last edited by DaveD; 20 May 2005, 12:48.

Comment

Decided to buy a new PC,that one was getting a bit dated,needed more memory,OS upgrade,bigger HD,when you add that lot up it makes more sense to buy new these days.I will salvage the graphics and sound cards out of the old PC and maybe install the hard drive as a second one on this PC.Just getting used to XP,so far very impressed,thanks for your help anyway guys and gals.
                  Powered by ????

Comment

You are following me !

Decided to buy a new PC,that one was getting a bit dated,needed more memory,OS upgrade,bigger HD,when you add that lot up it makes more sense to buy new these days.I will salvage the graphics and sound cards out of the old PC and maybe install the hard drive as a second one on this PC.Just getting used to XP,so far very impressed,thanks for your help anyway guys and gals.
                    Yea.. I have done exactly the same..had an "old" box,and have managed to upgrade it to a modern spec.over these last five weeks from a combination of "good old" Ebay and the Net for £100.00.I now have XP Professional (Wow!) an 80Gb hard drive,420 ram(?) memory,a USB hub,a Web cam,new speakers,an internal modem,a wireless mouse,and a 17" monitor ! The only thing I have kept is my "old" Athlon processor,and the graphics and sound cards.All this would have cost me over £400-£600 @ a certain big PC store. More importantly it all works !All it takes is time ! ..mind you I still cant upload pics here ! Though have no probs with Ebay !

Comment

Originally posted by surfin
                      Yea.. I have done exactly the same..had an "old" box,and have managed to upgrade it to a modern spec.over these last five weeks from a combination of "good old" Ebay and the Net for £100.00.I now have XP Professional (Wow!) an 80Gb hard drive,420 ram(?) memory,a USB hub,a Web cam,new speakers,an internal modem,a wireless mouse,and a 17" monitor ! The only thing I have kept is my "old" Athlon processor,and the graphics and sound cards.All this would have cost me over £400-£600 @ a certain big PC store. More importantly it all works !All it takes is time ! ..mind you I still cant upload pics here ! Though have no probs with Ebay !
                      I had already spent over £200.00 on the old PC when it decided to go tits up,there is absolutely no way I was going to spend any more on a PC that was never going to be up to speed.My future shopping list was going to be - Windows XP Pro - £175.00,DVD writer drive - £55.00,256MB RAM - £40.00, and some other odds and ends that were going to take the total spending to around £500.00.At the end of the day it only has a 1.3ghz processor,40gig hard drive(with all my photos and music on the damn thing!)eventually it would run out of processing power fast.Managed to pick up a decent PC for £500.00 with a 64bit Athlon 3ghz processor,160 gig hard drive,512mbRAM,7 USB 2 ports,smart card reader,DVD writer,Windows XP Home,sound and graphics are on board,but as soon as the warranty is up I'll install the sound and graphic cards from the dead PC,and sell the main board etc.Job done..............hopefully?