350 Miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 350 Miles

I'm taking the Wife and Kids on Holiday in 3 weeks with a 350+ Mile drive. It's a 2.4 so I,m Sh****g my pants!
    I like Orientals

build in regular pit stops and i'm sure you'll be fine................ Biggest problem i can see is jaw ache from grinning for 6 hours. have a good one.
    P.S looking forward to your thread telling us how great it was (Surf and holiday)
    [COLOR=DarkOrange]Dont Peck SH$T with the Chickens when you can Fly with the Eagles[/COLOR]

Comment

dont worry - we've had a few long distance hols in ours - and the grin just gets better when you cruise down the sea front and catch your reflexion in the shop windows...
      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by skippernicky
        build in regular pit stops and i'm sure you'll be fine................ Biggest problem i can see is jaw ache from grinning for 6 hours. have a good one.
        P.S looking forward to your thread telling us how great it was (Surf and holiday)
        Forget the jaw ache, what about the ear ache. 6 hours with the wife and kids in the car, oh dear!!!!

Comment

Hey i regularly, and i mean 1-2 times a month do a round trip of 600 miles from Brighton to Manchester in my 2.4td 1991.
          It has only been a problem once when rear lights and dash lights went out ( simple fuse)
          I am at the moment doing one of my 6 jobs needed to fuel the bugger there tho lol

i think i would as ex salesman for the RAC say however always have breakdown cover as it costs peanuts and is a godsend when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by ukviha
            Hey i regularly, and i mean 1-2 times a month do a round trip of 600 miles from Brighton to Manchester in my 2.4td 1991.
            It has only been a problem once when rear lights and dash lights went out ( simple fuse)
            I am at the moment doing one of my 6 jobs needed to fuel the bugger there tho lol

i think i would as ex salesman for the RAC say however always have breakdown cover as it costs peanuts and is a godsend when needed.
            Five times a year I drive to the French Pyrennees, 2500 mile each time...no problems, Sometimes the Surf , sometimes the Landcruiser VX.
            Taking the Surf to Moenchengladbach tomorrow morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfer
              Five times a year I drive to the French Pyrennees, 2500 mile each time...no problems, Sometimes the Surf , sometimes the Landcruiser VX.
              Taking the Surf to Moenchengladbach tomorrow morning.
              I'm off to biarritz in a months time then on over the border to san sebastian in my surf! Hope to make it without a problem.I'm taking the lap top so I can let you all know if I make it or not!

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Doc
                I'm taking the Wife and Kids on Holiday in 3 weeks with a 350+ Mile drive. It's a 2.4 so I,m Sh****g my pants!
                i drive about that to my daughters all the time in mine bud
                and the only problem i get is how to stop grinning when we stop for the customary tea break with some munchies too
                Enjoying Life after Cancer
                Pops

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the confident replies, but I will always be keeping a good eye on the temp. I have had my surf for a year now without any problems and I think it is great! Wish it was 3.0L though. I have got breakdown cover and I have just changed the coolant on Sunday and the oil & filters, 2500km ago. I only got 7 litres of coolant out though? Is this because the air con rad on the bottom needed emptying too? If so how do you do this?

We are leaving West Lancs, going to Devon then on to Cornwall, then coming Home via Plymouth. So it is about 700 Miles round trip.

Last edited by Bobby Doc; 18 May 2005, 18:06.
                  I like Orientals

Comment

If the head goes, please let me know...this will be just the sort of encouragement I need to bite the bullet and replace the head on mine! I've had mine 9 months and 10k and so far no problems, although I must admit that champagne bubbles appear in the coolant when I rev the engine, which I am told is engine compression escaping in to the coolant. Not good apparently...

Chris
                    [B][I]Cool domains [URL=http://zennames.com][COLOR

Comment

Thanks for the confident replies, but I will always be keeping a good eye on the temp. I have had my surf for a year now without any problems and I think it is great! Wish it was 3.0L though. I have got breakdown cover and I have just changed the coolant on Sunday and the oil & filters, 2500km ago. I only got 7 letres of coolant out though? Is this because the air con rad on the bottom needed emptying too? If so how do you do this?

We are leaving West Lancs, going to Devon then on to Cornwall, then coming Home via Plymouth. So it is about 700 Miles round trip.

Good Luck with the journey, you'll be fine. I only had my 2.4 for a week before driving to the Isle of Wight, from Leeds, and back, no problem.

As an experiment I removed the viscous fan and replaced it with a leccy one in February. Its still on a manual switch at the moment as I hav'nt got round to fitting a thermal one. Short journeys,around town, work and back, the fan is unnessesary. Long journeys No problem at all; ie Langdale.
                      The standard temp guage hardly moves, (not good for the nerves ) but the extra one I fitted works fine, telling me when the fan is wanted.
                      Overall , overcooling seems to be the norm, accepting steep hills and crawling traffic.

Derek

Comment

350 miles

worrying about it, won't make this very rare problem go away, been down to Newquay Cornwall, North and South Wales no problem in mine and i live in Lancashire, only problem is to your pocket but once on the motorway and hit cruising speed fuel lasts for longer than you think. only had to fill up once on way down.

Comment

Thanks for the confident replies, but I will always be keeping a good eye on the temp. I have had my surf for a year now without any problems and I think it is great! Wish it was 3.0L though. I have got breakdown cover and I have just changed the coolant on Sunday and the oil & filters, 2500km ago. I only got 7 letres of coolant out though? Is this because the air con rad on the bottom needed emptying too? If so how do you do this?

I had my 2.4 SURF for 18 months before my head went 400 + miles a week + trips to st-ives at least you live up here in the north as STEVO is just down the road in Stockport.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Bushman
                            If the head goes, please let me know...this will be just the sort of encouragement I need to bite the bullet and replace the head on mine! I've had mine 9 months and 10k and so far no problems, although I must admit that champagne bubbles appear in the coolant when I rev the engine, which I am told is engine compression escaping in to the coolant. Not good apparently...

Chris
                            When you check this, is your engine hot with the presure cap off?

When water gets hot it starts to simmer as it gets hotter it will boil, I know your not stupid and you know water simmers and boils, but is this not just the water simmering because of the heat of the engine.

When the presure cap is on, Presurised water dose not boil, that is why when you take the cap off and release the presure the water instanly boils and throws the water up and you get scalded.

So if you are running the engine with the cap off it will simmer, hence the shampagne bubbles.

Get a compression test done to be on the safe side!
                            I like Orientals

Comment

When you check this, is your engine hot with the presure cap off?

Get a compression test done to be on the safe side!
                              No I look at it when it is cold (not simmering) so it doesnt look good. I guess I dont have any confidence in it and will only relax after the head is done. I will do what yousay and have a comp test anyway. Thanks for the tip.
                              Chris
                              [B][I]Cool domains [URL=http://zennames.com][COLOR

Comment

Working...
                              X