A smooth road - shimmy free 4runner!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A smooth road - shimmy free 4runner!

Had the novel experience of driving on a completely smooth re-tarred road yesterday – a rarity in NE Scotland, and probably anywhere in UK!.

The brilliant thing is the 4runner completely stopped shuddering/shimming and shaking!!! - never experienced that before!!

The good thing is it rules out drivetrain vibration as being the cause e.g. prop, gearbox etc

But still need to get to the bottom of the shimmying, or is it just normal on anything but a road as smooth as a babys @rse??????
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Originally posted by andycook
    Had the novel experience of driving on a completely smooth re-tarred road yesterday – a rarity in NE Scotland, and probably anywhere in UK!.

The brilliant thing is the 4runner completely stopped shuddering/shimming and shaking!!! - never experienced that before!!

The good thing is it rules out drivetrain vibration as being the cause e.g. prop, gearbox etc

But still need to get to the bottom of the shimmying, or is it just normal on anything but a road as smooth as a babys @rse??????
    Have you changed the steering stabilser yet? if the road was dead smooth it be fine, but any roughness will show up if the stabilser isn't up to scratch.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

aye Tony - I put a new one on from Milners last year, it made little difference

Im running 15" wheels, 255s, wheels have a -13 offset and mud tyres

I was thinking of fabricating something to fit the old steering stabiliser on in parallel with the new one, as the old one was probably fine, and im sure it wouldn't be too hard to make something up
      and that may help?
      Last edited by andycook; 13 May 2005, 13:54.
      Landcruiser Colorado
      Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        Have you changed the steering stabilser yet? if the road was dead smooth it be fine, but any roughness will show up if the stabilser isn't up to scratch.
        Tony,

would an uprated steering stabaliser help when I fit my bigger tyres? I'm wondering if the oil cooler pipes on an auto would get in the way of a bigger diameter tube?

Nevillef

Comment

Working...
        X