Why I'm into motorsport that involve big block V8's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I'm into motorsport that involve big block V8's

Title says it all, found this on a US board. F1 can suck it...............

* One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows at the Daytona 500.

* Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1½ gallons of nitromethane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

* A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster supercharger.

* With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

* At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitromethane the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.

* Nitromethane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

* Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

* In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate at an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8G's .

* Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence.

* Top Fuel Engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!

* Including the burnout the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.

* The red-line is actually quite high at 9500 rpm.

* The Bottom Line; Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated US $1,000.00 per second. The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds for the quarter mile (10/05/03, Tony Schumacher). The top speed record is 333.00 mph (533 km/h) as measured over the last 66' of the run (09/28/03 Doug Kalitta).

Putting all of this into perspective:

You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter "twin-turbo" powered Corvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and past the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment. The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him.

Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race course.

That, folks, is acceleration
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

no that folks is better than her indoors with not alot on !!!!

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

[img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/tiere/animal-smiley-022.gif[/img][img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/tiere/animal-smiley-022.gif[/img][img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/auto/car-smiley-006.gif[/img] [b][color=red]Anyone for [u]fluffy[/u] wheeltrims[/color][/b]

Comment

I'm not one to usually pooh pooh the yanks and thier insane passtimes
      However I would question the above quoted figures for the "fully loaded 747"
      I was an Aircraft engineer for 10 years and can speak a bit about this subject
      I am o.k with the 1 1/2 g/s fuel burn even though it depends on the Aircraft model, engine type, runway length, atmospheric conditions......

The power figure is the one that I am a bit iffy on.
      The CF6 family of engine, which are very common on the Boeings are capable of well over 15,000 Shaft horsepower.

Now I am not ready to believe that a 500cui piston engine can produce 60,000 Hp

Correct me if I am wrong
      Simon.O.
      '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Me wanna 440 Six pack in my Surf. Yum, watch that fuel get drunk.

Comment

I'm Building this little gas guzzler at the moment, it's a 1927 Ford modle T with a Jag V12 engine, box and rear axle
          Attached Files
          [SIZE=3][FONT=verdana][COLOR=darkorange]The chickens are stealing my sanity[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Long live the american v8, i have owned 2 Pontiac 400 ci Firebirds in the past , and was amazed by these engines. Just wish i could afford to run one again.

Comment

Originally posted by alf
              Long live the american v8, i have owned 2 Pontiac 400 ci Firebirds in the past , and was amazed by these engines. Just wish i could afford to run one again.
              I used to own a 1971 Camaro with a 1960s corvette 283 engine in it. Before I fixed it it only ran on 7 cylinders but started first time every time, winter or summer and returned 20mpg however I drove it plus it would do over 130mph.

The build quality of the car was awful but you couldn't fault the engine or the TH350 Autobox.

Yank muscle just about beats it all. If I had unlimited funds I'd buy a 1967 big block Stingray and leave rubber everywhere I went.

Cheers

Comment

The stuff dreams are made of......

Well my dreams anyway......!!!!

'69 Camaro Z/28
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Cmar; 4 March 2007, 20:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Cmar
                  The stuff dreams are made of......

Well my dreams anyway......!!!!

'69 Camaro Z/28

i nearly bought a 72 camaro with 2 tone green paint and tan leather interior!!
                  it was the pimp mobile!!
                  i grew up watching the A team and night rider so all those cars really appeal to me!

(not like you oldies, watch hartbeat for the old zephyrs!!)
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

follow up !(a Sub is short for Chevy Suburban, a US SUV that could be mistake for a coach! )................

One Diesel-fueled 396-inch 6.5 Sub makes more horsepower than the first 8 rows at the Sears lawnmower department.

Under full throttle, a GM 6.5 engine consumes maybe 2 ounces of diesel per second, the same rate of fuel consumption as a fully loaded confused kerosene lantern but with 4000 times the noise.

A family of caged hamsters will not produce enough power to drive the 6.5's turbocharger but they will nest there if given the chance.

Even with nearly 572 CFM of air being rammed in by the turbocharger during acceleration, the fuel mixture is compressed into a thoroughly disgusting aroma for the benefit of eager Honda tailgaters who appear to thrive on smoke. Their drivers run on the verge of carbon rapture.

Dual cupholders in the center console remain a mystery, no liquid-holding device can fit the opening exactly, resulting in a new shade of carpeting each week.

At stoichiometric (exact) air/fuel mixture (for diesel), the smoke plume behind the 6.5 measures about 1/10 mile.

Jeep drivers behind the 6.5 turn yellow. The spectacular white flame seen when they burn their stacks at night is raw burning expletives, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing diesel fumes.

A Big Mac, large fries and about 4 minutes are totally consumed during a pass. All the time, the engine is dieseling from compression - plus the glow of malfunctioning glow plugs at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow, usually by betting that the gas station up the road does carry diesel.

If the ittty-bitty lift pump in a 6.5 momentarily fails early in the run, unburned fecal gases build up in those Kia drivers and then explode with a force that can blow their tinny doors in pieces or split the chintzy seats in half.

To exceed 35 mph in 4.5 seconds 6.5 Subs must accelerate at an average of over .0001G's. But in reaching 50 mph well before 1/2 track, launch acceleration is closer to .0008G's. Neither has been recorded since vibration overcomes any known measuring device.

If all the equipment is paid off, the son changes the oil for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each commute costs $.02 per second.

6.5 Subs reach over 3 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence.

6.5 Sub Engines turn ONLY 540 revolutions from light to light! The redline is actually quite high at 9500rpm

The current TF dragster elapsed time record is 4.477 seconds for the quarter mile (06/02/01 Kenny Bernstein).

Putting all of this in perspective: You are driving an average Lingenfelter powered "twin-turbo" Corvette. Over a mile up the road, a 6.5 Sub is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start, but you still run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and past the 6.5 Sub at an honest 200 mph. At this moment, the 6.5 Sub launches and starts after you. You keep your foot hard down, win the race but you hear an incredibly brutal clanking sound that annoys your eardrums and within about 45 minutes the 6.5 Sub catches and passes you. You beat him to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you passed him. That, folks, is a 6,800 lb travelling traffic obstruction.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Veerrry good!
                      Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Working...
                      X