X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power steering advice required for subaru

Hi

A non 4runner/surf question,

Got a slightly annoying feature on my subaru forester.

I am pretty sure its something to do with power steering. as nothing else is loose, wheels balanced and does same with another set of wheels. New discs on, did it before and after, tracking/alignment OK. All steering rack tie-rods ends etc tight

I can feel a slight grabbing/vibration on steering wheel - a bit like a unbalanced wheel, when driving straight and turning. It occurs at all speeds, including walking speed. Its often more noticeable going round a roundabout or tight turn out of or into T-junction etc, even very slowly.
    I can also feel roughness/vibration through steering wheel when stationary and turning wheel back and forth quickly.

i checked fluid level in power steering reservoir - its fine, and checked drive-belt - fine and tightened it a bit to make sure.

otherwise steering is fine, light and repsonsive, no stiffness.

I am guessing its could be some sort of pressure fluctuation in lines, power pump problem or some valve sticking

anyone know enough about power steering systems - rack type - to venture a guess whats going on here
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

If going slow around a roundabout then i guess it can't be wheel balancing.....surely its either wheel bearings or steering gear / system. Or alignment but you said that's fine
    my 2p worth

Comment

Hmm, isn't the Forrester an AWD/4WD vehicle? Perhaps its the front CV joints...?

Comment

yes its AWD 50:50 torque to front/rear axles, with limited slip centre diff.
        The front CV's dont seem to be loose.

and I can feel funny goings on in steering even when stationary!
        Landcruiser Colorado
        Sub. Forester

Comment

Working...
        X